My little reveiw on KEM and PIP tunes

Reaction score
So just to clarify a few things. Seems to be some bad mouthing KEM tunes.

While everyone is entitled to their opinions, so am I.

I've sold new 6'rs to trucks tuned IDP, PIP, KEM. Even some 11-14's with stock turbos and H&S..... But that is not an opinion or internet forum perpetuation. It's a fact. There are a lot of built 6r's being sold. Especially now that there are more options. Before I feel that most people returned to stock and let their dealer/ford eat the Trans.

I personally have ran the KEM tunes. I sell them. Hundreds of tuners. Overwhelming majority of customers I never hear from again or call back and report how pleased they are. I along with many other big companies have been selling them for years with various platforms. If they were sooo terrible there is no way in hell I would keep doing so.

I have had some complain of harsh shifting with KEM. We have been addressing that and now have a "heavy tow" to fill the need for smoother shifting with a gooseneck or heavy trailer in tow. There is also a "race torque reduction" which allows for full race tune power but has defuels during shifts to help the Trans save itself at those power levels. Because there are people who "have" to drive the race tune but complain about harsh "race" shifting and the performance tune "isn't fast enough".

I've dealt with a lot of tuning companies. I've never ever had one that had zero complaints at one time or another. I've even had customers make us get them different tunes because Gearhead couldn't do what they wanted. It happens. People have different needs and desires of how they want the m to perform.

Is any one tuner heads and tails better than the rest? NO.

Fwiw, I killed my first 2015 Trans with superchips..... I guess they are terrible too?

And does everyone forget that the 2015 trans has less clutches and are dramatically weaker because of that?

Make it shift hard to save the clutches... then make it soft so people don't complain, oh then the trans starts slipping.... Just make up your mind because the 2015 trans is going to fail either way at higher power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FordPSD64

Reaction score
It's just a shame that there are so many good tuners out there whose hands were/are tied on the 15's.

I was a slow-blinking mother ****er when 15 tuning hit the streets and it was KEM... Does nobody remember KEM's 6.4 tuning or do we just hitch our wagon to any old horse that'll pull the SOB? :confused:

Then PIP? Oh, he's been tuning forever! You've never heard of him, but man, this tuning sure is the greatest thing on earth! (because they're the better of two?)

I mean, that's cool and all, but man, we sure did have some great tuning available for the 11-14's and then BAM, only the SCT secret handshake kids get to tune 15's.

Innovative is cool and all if you like their flavor. Too smokey for me... (as are most tuners) If I had a 15, I would DEFINITELY be inclined to try their tuning first as they HAVE been doing it and HAVE a good name.

I was shopping pretty heavily for a 15... buying new is cheaper/easier than buying used around here :( But I kept holding out because of lack of tuning...

Oh well, looks like it's only pre-15 6.7's for me! :eek:

I run innovative on my 6.0 and they don't smoke at all... You can't even make it smoke if you tried. I love their tunes.

I run pip on my 15 and they're great as well. Fairly smoke free as well. The v7 tunes are great, I may get some innovative tunes just to try for the hell of it. But on a 2500 mile trip to Tennessee and back I averaged 19 mpg the entire trip. That's going 80-85 mph. Not too bad if you ask me

I agree with you 100% Morgan. Everyone has a different style and likes different things. Personally I don't care about hard shifts, they're designed that way for a reason and if people don't like it then they should go to a smaller tune. It's a pick your battle type thing. Do you want power/hard shifts or less power/smooth shifts.

Personally the trans shifting in these trucks isn't my favorite to begin with. I don't like how they always want to be in a low gear and In higher rpms. I prefer it to lock up and stay locked but that's just not how any of these new transmissions are designed to run. Chevy and dodges are the same way. At the end of the day it's not the end of the world and in still satisfied with it

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I definitely believe that anyone tuning a '15 should be prepared to build the trans sooner or later no matter who tunes it. That shouldn't even be an argument.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I believe anyone taking a 6.7 past the 450 mark on a regular basis should realize that they are going to hurt it. My 2011 was a perfect example. You gotta pay to play. Luckily, Morgan builds one hell of a 6r140

jwanck11

Reaction score
Is any one tuner heads and tails better than the rest? NO.

The diesel world really is that much different than the light duty gasser world?

In the LD gasser world, there is definitely a "hierarchy" of tuners - the difference between what tuners understand and are therefore capable of is substantial.

Reaction score
The diesel world really is that much different than the light duty gasser world?

In the LD gasser world, there is definitely a "hierarchy" of tuners - the difference between what tuners understand and are therefore capable of is substantial.

Yes I am sure there is. I'm just stating that there are a lot of opinions. Some guys prefer one over the other. So it's not a unanimous agreement for one over the other. There are several that are very good at what they do.

jwanck11

Reaction score
Completely agree on opinions and to be very frank, I could care less about someone else's opinion.

What matters:
1) I am working with the top tuner who has the ability to understand what changes have on the overall experience. I realize the 2015 is "new-ish" but it has been out long enough for the stack to have formed.

2) The "canned-custom" tune I load to my truck is safe first and foremost. All the power in the world is pointless if tune coefficients, either singly or in combination, place components in an unsafe range. I have a pay to play mindset - and take the risk on; however, there is no reason to toast expensive parts on a couple of hundred dollar base tune(s).

I like data. At the moment, the data suggests not to purchase KEM tunes.

HurricanesFord

Reaction score
What "data" suggests not to purchase KEM tunes? I have 10k miles on my truck using the KEM tunes and haven't broken any "expensive parts". Is it perfect? No. But does it do what it's supposed to do? Yes. And I run it on Race all day and I'm not light on the pedal either. Your opinion is yours but to suggest to others not to buy KEM tunes is ridiculous.

Reaction score
What "data" suggests not to purchase KEM tunes? I have 10k miles on my truck using the KEM tunes and haven't broken any "expensive parts". Is it perfect? No. But does it do what it's supposed to do? Yes. And I run it on Race all day and I'm not light on the pedal either. Your opinion is yours but to suggest to others not to buy KEM tunes is ridiculous.

Thank you.

I've defiantly heard good and bad reviews/opinions from ALL the big name tuners. But to suggest to not buy anything from any of them is a little much.

jwanck11

Reaction score
What "data" suggests not to purchase KEM tunes?

1) A significant number of reports of poor customer service e.g., complaints without any appreciable response.
2) A significant number of people reporting complaints about a poor shift strategy (apparently including you.)
3) A couple reports of screeching sounds during shifting.
4) A couple of reports of failed transmissions without substantial additional power modifiers.

That seems to be enough of a foundation to run other tunes at least at the moment; given the alternatives do not have the same pervasive feedback.

I hope KEM figures things out.... we will see with successive iterations assuming they are forthcoming.

jcain

Reaction score
1) A significant number of reports of poor customer service e.g., complaints without any appreciable response.
2) A significant number of people reporting complaints about a poor shift strategy (apparently including you.)
4) A couple of reports of failed transmissions without substantial additional power modifiers.

That seems to be enough of a foundation to run other tunes at least at the moment; given the alternatives do not have the same pervasive feedback.

I hope KEM figures things out.... we will see with successive iterations assuming they are forthcoming.

Keep your ratiocination to yourself. People have agendas and products to sell!

Reaction score

There is a whole thread about PIP tune problems and shifting/spooling complaints. Did you read that?

I have built more transmissions for h&s tuned trucks than any other. Are they bad tunes too?

Have an IDP truck just ate its second Trans in 5000 miles.

Just sent out a Trans for a guy running PIP.

So, I don't think it's isolated to anyone tuner.

It has already been explained as to what KEM has done to further their tunes with new added tunes into their library for towing and street use to help keep these transmissions alive in 2015 trucks.

I understand you do not want to run KEM, that is fine. But no need to bad mouth something/someone you have no personal experience with.

Keep your ratiocination to yourself. People have agendas and products to sell!

Soooo, was this a jab at me? Imagine that. Your getting kind of old with that attitude towards my company... I guess my agenda of trying to help people and get them the answers and support they need is a negative thing? Cool, thanks for your insight.

Why don't you go somewhere else.... I mean unless you have something useful to add to this thread.... Which you do not.

Last edited: