My tow pig/DD build thread. F350/Cummins 6.7/twins/6R140

Project20v

Reaction score
So is this thread to like a tape recorder? To record your thoughts? Just use the truck you have now and stop taking the entire village with you, instead of bastardizing the truck. You dont need 600hp to tow with, none of the drivetrain will live long at all at that level. People tow all the time across country at stock power leveks and have no complaints..instead of wasting all this money, invest it in the vacations, instead of sinking it in yohr truck, Im sure your wife and kids could give two shts how fast you pulled that last hill. You are the laughing stock of pirate4x4, and peoole stop listening to you bc your way is the only way. The village will thank you for leaving them behind also...why tag along with the idiot when you dont have to, right?

Aren't forums for sharing thoughts, ideas and opinions? I think the project is a bit overboard, but if you have the funds, the ability and the time to do it, do whatever you want. Why does it bother you?, it's what he wants to do.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Time for an update.

I'm still in no man's land as far as figuring out if I should use my current 08 F350 or upgrade to a 2011 for this project. I've made offers on a couple 2011s, none were accepted.

I'm afraid that I'll just get started on this project with my current truck and the perfect 2011 will pop up for cheap.

I'm not even sure what a 2011 would give me over my current F350. The biggest item is that I could get a short box truck straight away, versus having to do a box swap on my current truck. Its hard finding a good used short box. And I'm loathe to put on a junky one given what great shape the rest of my F350 is in.

The other thing that is niggling in the back of my mind is that Ford has announced the 2013 model year is going to be shortened, so the 2014s will probably be receiving an update. That should reduce the price of a used 2011 somewhat, when its fully revealed.

I'll just keep looking until something pushes me one way or another. Its not like I've had any spare time to work on it anyway, as I have been fully occupied working on some business issues that have cropped up recently.

I put 1600 miles on my 08 on a long road trip last week. 2x 800 mile days. It never fails to impress me how great these trucks are for road trips.

What is truly amazing is how great they steer. My truck goes exactly where its pointed, no correction required. Its a little thing but its adds up after spending 13+ hours in a single day driving it. As do all the other creature comforts it has. I can't think of a better vehicle for long road trips. I don't know what I would have done this last year if I hadn't had it.

The other thing that is amazing is what great condition my truck is in for having over 115K on it. I've put 31K on it since I bought it last fall and haven't really done a thing to it. Windshield wiper blades, oil changes, front tires and rear diff friction modifier oil is all that comes to mind. And it seems like its ready to go another 30K, though I haven't taken a good look at it in a while.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me that my F350 is so trouble free, given that my F250 was also like that. Still, having purchased it used, I expected I would have had to spend some money on it already. But its been completely trouble free. And people wonder why I like Superduty trucks.

Having said all this, I still do not like the 6.4. But I won't go into that again.

Enough babbling. I think I have everything in my life under control again. Should that be the case, I'll restart working on my project shortly.

Ive got a maroon shortbed with ur name on it

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
And the Ford 6.7 has a very similar fuel system, right down to using the same CP4 pump that the 6.4 uses.

Ummm... The 6.7 Ford uses a Bosch high pressure fuel injection system. The 6.4 Ford uses a Siemens high pressure fuel injection system. Saying the high pressure fuel systems are similar is one thing - because fundamentally they are - but there is not ONE single piece that is the same - they don't even completely function the same from a controls algorithm stand point - specifically the pumps. There is nearly zero basis for basing the life span of the 6.7 fuel system on the 6.4. I'm not saying they don't have their issues - but this statement is so wrong......

me2

Reaction score
Ummm... The 6.7 Ford uses a Bosch high pressure fuel injection system. The 6.4 Ford uses a Siemens high pressure fuel injection system. Saying the high pressure fuel systems are similar is one thing - because fundamentally they are - but there is not ONE single piece that is the same - they don't even completely function the same from a controls algorithm stand point - specifically the pumps. There is nearly zero basis for basing the life span of the 6.7 fuel system on the 6.4. I'm not saying they don't have their issues - but this statement is so wrong......

I believe both the Ford 6.4 and Ford 6.7 use Bosch CP4 injection pumps. I believe that pump is the root cause of most of the injection problems on these trucks.

Quick link showing that the 6.4 uses a Bosch CP4. No affiliation with the vendor.
http://www.alligatorperformance.com...-pump-fits-0810-ford-powerstroke-p-10039.html

The injectors are different, as you pointed out. That doesn't matter much once the CP4 fills them with debris.

The Cummins 5.9 and 6.7 use CP3 pumps.

Last edited:

me2

Reaction score
Last edited:

me2

Reaction score
I'm finishing up a couple fabrication projects in my garage so that I have room to start working on the CNC plasma cutter. All the parts are here for it and I've got the CNC controller blinking LEDs.

I'll start on the conversion parts as soon as the CNC cutter is running. All the parts are here for the conversion project too, though I'm sure I'll be missing something once I get right into it.

Last edited:

Buffalo444

Reaction score
So is this thread to like a tape recorder? To record your thoughts? Just use the truck you have now and stop taking the entire village with you, instead of bastardizing the truck. You dont need 600hp to tow with, none of the drivetrain will live long at all at that level. People tow all the time across country at stock power leveks and have no complaints..instead of wasting all this money, invest it in the vacations, instead of sinking it in yohr truck, Im sure your wife and kids could give two shts how fast you pulled that last hill. You are the laughing stock of pirate4x4, and peoole stop listening to you bc your way is the only way. The village will thank you for leaving them behind also...why tag along with the idiot when you dont have to, right?

He's being very through and meticulous, and weighing all his options. Why do you have to come in here mucking things up?

Jason

Reaction score
Blow me goat ***er.

I haven't replied to this thread in almost a month, and you have to try and show up and toss your two cents into the mix. I have an issue with this guy bc he doesnt listen to anybody. He will come and ask for advice, or to bounce a couple options of the forum, and when someone with more experience, or who has done what he is fixing to do, tries to in form him, hes gotta go spouting off about how his idea is the best and will work for several reasons. He is like that snotty teen age girl who nobody likes, bc shes always right and nobody does it better.

Hell, he was arguing with HRT there about something, and how he is right and knows what hes talking about...well..then son of a bitch he was wrong and jason was right. Same thing all the time.

Anyways, take your failed attempt to jump on me, roll it up in a long cylindrical fashion, coat it down good with a nice thick layer of anal eze, and proceed to go and *** yourself with it.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
So let me get this straight. There's over 400 posts on this alleged "build", yet nothing has been built?
Is this all just a wish list or what?

-Jake-

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
OK guys - this is a build thread - lets not get it all out of hand with a bunch of BS posts calling each other out. Let the build continue in peace with questions and comments about it only.

Yes it is a build thread - it just sounds like the OP isn't quite sure what he is building yet - beyond using a transmission and engine combo that is unique and going into a late model truck of some undetermined year and cab configuration.

Nic

Reaction score
I believe both the Ford 6.4 and Ford 6.7 use Bosch CP4 injection pumps. I believe that pump is the root cause of most of the injection problems on these trucks.

Quick link showing that the 6.4 uses a Bosch CP4. No affiliation with the vendor.
http://www.alligatorperformance.com...-pump-fits-0810-ford-powerstroke-p-10039.html

The injectors are different, as you pointed out. That doesn't matter much once the CP4 fills them with debris.

The Cummins 5.9 and 6.7 use CP3 pumps.

6.4 - k16
6.7 - CP4

:shrug: I thought this was correct?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
many, many, many pages ago, you stated that you were goin to stretch the cab because the person in the middle seat in the rear, didnt have a head rest and it was not condusive for napping there.

i believe your after passenger comfort in the back.

could you not just add a head rest?

have your rear seat re-worked, or a new upper rear seat section created? so the person in the middle had the same comforts as the person(s) on the side?

i have a 2010 lariat ccsb, and have been in the middle of my own back seat with two people with me, and can say that i can make a long trip there.

just a thought.

Rene G

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that he also wants room to take his kids and their friends (kids always have friends to bring) as well. I must say that I like this thread and the detail you put in to it.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
it's just the way it read, is he's doin it to give the person in the middle a head rest.

any time he mentions goin places, its always "the family", and the way it was worded up to that point, was the five seats he currently had was enough actual seating, just not enough head rests.

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
Blow me goat ***er.

I haven't replied to this thread in almost a month, and you have to try and show up and toss your two cents into the mix. I have an issue with this guy bc he doesnt listen to anybody. He will come and ask for advice, or to bounce a couple options of the forum, and when someone with more experience, or who has done what he is fixing to do, tries to in form him, hes gotta go spouting off about how his idea is the best and will work for several reasons. He is like that snotty teen age girl who nobody likes, bc shes always right and nobody does it better.

Hell, he was arguing with HRT there about something, and how he is right and knows what hes talking about...well..then son of a bitch he was wrong and jason was right. Same thing all the time.

Anyways, take your failed attempt to jump on me, roll it up in a long cylindrical fashion, coat it down good with a nice thick layer of anal eze, and proceed to go and *** yourself with it.
:stupid:
Lol so glad I have had first hand experience with this guy from beers to racing 7.3's to helping his ass move down to just listening to his ridiculous thoughts..Jason truly is one of a kind

me2

Reaction score
You guys really get your panties in a knot over things.

Me, wife + 3 kids = full Superduty. No room to take along any one of the several people that would like to join us on our trips.

I'm going to do the swap first and reassess the stretch after we've used the truck for a few months with the new engine.

I put 1600 miles on my F350 this past weekend, 800 miles in storms. The *&^*%!! air cleaner plugged twice with snow. Other than that and a few engine hiccups, its an awesome truck. I can't wait for it to have a Cummins.

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
You bag on psd's on every forum you post on. How weak and pathetic they are. Then you btich about noy having enough room for other psople...you have 5 in the cab aleady, are you wanting to smuggle illegals? Tell them to buy their own ***ing camper. Goddanm you are one frustrating son of a monkey fister, i hope you build the abortion and hit the road with it, and as you're pulling mountain passes at 95mph on your 600hp tune, that your shtity design, and attempt to recreate the wheel, rips your truck into two pieces, catapulting the driveshaft through your crap spewing mouth...i mean, asz. I say we ban this jackoff for being the biggest bs talking, 45 pages of build thread with nothing happening, but plenty of "im gonna do this", "psd's suck", remarks crom this wankerr. Is the reason you have to hVe room for just SO MANY passengers, because part of the deal with your parents in exchange for them letting you and your life partner, 2 chihuahuas, and 3 adopted asian babies, that you would let them tag a lomg on vacation too?! I mean...jesus

vcassens

Reaction score
You bag on psd's on every forum you post on. How weak and pathetic they are. Then you btich about noy having enough room for other psople...you have 5 in the cab aleady, are you wanting to smuggle illegals? Tell them to buy their own ***ing camper. Goddanm you are one frustrating son of a monkey fister, i hope you build the abortion and hit the road with it, and as you're pulling mountain passes at 95mph on your 600hp tune, that your shtity design, and attempt to recreate the wheel, rips your truck into two pieces, catapulting the driveshaft through your crap spewing mouth...i mean, asz. I say we ban this jackoff for being the biggest bs talking, 45 pages of build thread with nothing happening, but plenty of "im gonna do this", "psd's suck", remarks crom this wankerr. Is the reason you have to hVe room for just SO MANY passengers, because part of the deal with your parents in exchange for them letting you and your life partner, 2 chihuahuas, and 3 adopted asian babies, that you would let them tag a lomg on vacation too?! I mean...jesus

I am not trying to get in the middle of a pissing match but why do you care so much? I mean hell if you don't like it don't read about it it is really simple just saying

Jason

Reaction score
Its like a train wreck, gota keep looking. And I dont really care, I just dont see how this guy has so many people giving him props, when he hasnt done a damn thing but run his trap, and complain about his truck,;or tell people they dont know what they are talking about, only to be proven wrong. Hes worse than that idi homo on psn.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.