My truck was stolen last night

andy3728

Reaction score
BTW, I had to go pick it up in person. The impound company would not allow my insurance to pick it up on my behalf, even with all the correct documents. So I paid for the tow to my dad's shop to get it out of Southside Atlanta before the weekend!

LovetheTide

Reaction score
How did it get in the ditch if the wheels and tires were already removed? Surely they didn't remove them after it was already in the ditch.

florida 6.0

Reaction score
Sorry to see this but at least you got it back and it is repairable . There is a special place in Hell for the scum that do this to people .

andy3728

Reaction score
I'm glad you guys mentioned the fishiness. I will tell you what I found out in chronological order on a timeline:

Wednesday 8:30am reported it stolen from Columbus, Ga.

Thursday 7:00am my detective friend from Columbus PD gave me a copy of cleared report stating the truck was found sometime Wednesday.

Thursday 10:30am-12:00pm made about 20 phone calls and finally connected to a dispatcher with Decatur police who disclosed that the vehicle was in poor condition with no tires/wheels/engine parts/stereo/ignition cylinder. She also provided the location of the vehicle. (Cymill Motors Towing in Decatur, Ga)

Thursday 9:00pm my detective friend with Columbus PD told me that the "hit" said the truck was found in a traffic stop.

Friday 3:30pm Decatur police officer who met me to pick up the truck read the report from his computer that the vehicle was never reported stolen by Columbus PD and that an abandoned vehicle report was written by Decatur PD in which is was abandoned in a ditch with no tires/wheels/engine parts/stereo/ignition cylinder. He told me that I needed to get the stolen vehicle report cleared before I drive the vehicle (once drivable) to prevent from being pulled over when a tag reader confirmed it stolen.

Friday 6:00pm my detective friend with Columbus PD reassures me that the stolen vehicle report was filed at the time the incident was found but it was cleared that same day when the vehicle was found.

Last edited:

andy3728

Reaction score
Study that timeline and see what you think. You can't drive a truck into a ditch with no tires. Some other tow truck drivers coming and going said that this county does not do inventory reports and that salvage yards are bad about stripping vehicles between the scene of the incident/pickup and the impound yard. They told me that because there is no inventory report required it would be easy for a salvage company to take parts then dump it in a ditch, making it appear that the vehicle is abandoned. Passersby would think nothing of a rollback on the shoulder of the road. You see them all the time. (Are they picking up the vehicle or dropping it off?)

eng53ine

Reaction score
So was it found in a traffic stop or abandoned in a ditch?

02 ccsb, lariat, 7.3 auto, 4x4, 4" duals, 6637,zoodad

andy3728

Reaction score
So was it found in a traffic stop or abandoned in a ditch?

02 ccsb, lariat, 7.3 auto, 4x4, 4" duals, 6637,zoodad

I had a Decatur police officer meet me at the towing yard where the truck was located to make sure we filed all the correct reports. Anyhow he told me that the truck was abandoned in a ditch with those listed parts missing according to the abandoned vehicle report. He said because an abandoned vehicle report was done, the tag did not show up as stolen at the time it was found. He basically told me that someone screwed up on the stolen vehicle report and did not put it in the system for all law enforcement to see.

However, Columbus police department confirmed that the report was filed and that it was cleared because the vehicle was found. Columbus detective also told me that he did not believe my truck ever made it to a "chop shop."

It makes me wonder if the truck was found in a traffic stop and cleared of stolen status and then a wrecker service took my truck to their shop, stripped it, dumped it in a ditch to make it look abandoned and then Decatur PD find it.

I know I probably sound like a conspiracy theorist right about now but The evidence is not consistent in any shape or form. I could not get a copy of the abandoned vehicle report because that office is closed on Fridays. I am going to request one on Monday. Maybe this will shed some light.

andy3728

Reaction score
I will also say that all the interior parts that were removed to get the stereo system (sub/amp/wires) were removed by all the proper tools including a torx bit to remove the seat belt holders at the top of the c pillars to remove those panels to expose the wiring. The dash was not hurt when the radio was removed. They didn't rip this stuff out in a hurry. They carefully removed it. I had a ton of recipts and papers in the center console and in the glove box. They put these in a walmart sack. I found the sack in the floorboard with the top tied.

Also, the fender, headlight, grill and hood were damaged by the towing company. You can see where the fork of a fork lift hit the frame and the truck must have slid off, nearly ripping off the front fender. I will try to get a pic posted of this so you can see.

Last edited:

bluedge8

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the pita your going through. Seems simple to me to get to the truth about stolen vs abandoned. try to find the report of stolen, traffic stop and ask to speak with that officer in person. It would seem that if the police are not in on the stripping of the truck that they would be very interested in making sure the towing company's they contract with are above board.

mine was found in new orleans with similar results. wheels and tires were still on it though. congrats.

Which truck of yours was stolen? from where?

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
I'll tell you one thing, after having my 6.0 stolen in the past. Once the police find your truck they really could care less about anything else. Its a long story, but mine also had some stuff that wasnt lining up in my head. Once the police found it, that was it, case closed. Indescribably frustrating. After it was found I asked the police some questions and you could just tell that it was going to go nowhere. Sorry about yourluck!

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
Ya my first thought too was how do you drive a truck into a ditch with no tires and wheels. I would wonder if you knew the exact spot it was ditched if there would be marks in the road or signs it was ditched and then the wheels removed. In anyway it doesn't add up right and it seems someone is dropping the ball somewhere. Don't let insurance or the cops or towing jack you around, remember squeaky wheel gets the grease !

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Wow that is some story man. It does sound like it sat somewhere first where the parts were taken off, than it was loaded up and dropped into the ditch. That's sad that your truck was pulled over and nothing was done because the report wasn't cleared. I'm not an LEO, but if a vehicle is reported stolen, why doesn't it automatically appear in the system as stolen if an officer/dispatcher runs the tag? Doesn't make sense. I wish you the best of luck in dealing with this nonsense.

zilla68

Reaction score
that's why you MUST have agreed value insurance to be protected, good luck!
my old big block blown chevy pro street truck was insured for 45k, they sent an appraiser who said I was under insuring, and if it was ever stolen, they cut a check for 45k.

Any of you guys who have even mild mods would be stupid not to have agreed value insurance or writers on your policy for the extras, once someone steals your vehicle it becomes a tangled web with the insurance company.

Good luck on the truck man, but I'd bet they total it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.