need advice in a bad way

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
thats what i thought too andy, and every person i know that was/is a motor head... im prolly gonna pull a couple of the crooked ones out and replace them while at it.. drop the trans for the flex plate and while there, make sure the ones in the back are good, prolly stamp/pin them in too..

live life full throttle

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
Good call. Hope that's the problem with it. With Mike working on it, I would bet that is what it is, I would put money on quality assembly of the motor. Might be a heads up to him to double check freeze plugs from the machine shop though.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
yeah, i don't, and never have, doubted Mike's work.. he has worked on my junk before.... he said he has had quite a few motors done through the same machine shop and this is the first for him, if this is indeed the issue...

running around now to pick up parts and fluids hope to get it on the hoist this afternoon.

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
well, turns out it was just loose converter bolts... so i didnt pull trans back to verify the rear plugs........ yet..

live life full throttle

Arisley

Reaction score
Did you just tighten them or did you pull them, wipe them off and reinstall with a dab of blue loctite on them?

Keep an eye on those bolts for a while.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
pulled them out to see how wallard out the holes where... barely noticeable. and reinstalled, but will get some loctite and redo them. its still in the shop and will continue the rest tomorrow... my buddy had to close up early today.

live life full throttle

Reaction score
Hmm really odd on the converter bolts as they were torqued to 28 ft lbs. I guess I need to start using locktite or something on them. Never had an issue with them coming loose after torquing them to 28 ft lbs before on all the trans's I've done.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i thought sure as chit my flexplate was done for! even bought one from ford... so i have a spare flexplate now since it would cost 40$ to return it... might as well keep it...
no idea mike! ive always said if it will happen, it will happen to me... gonna do the combustion test in the morn... ive said it once and ill say it again, not your fault mike! i know dam well you did the build/install correctly.. chit happens..

live life full throttle

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
i thought sure as chit my flexplate was done for! even bought one from ford... so i have a spare flexplate now since it would cost 40$ to return it... might as well keep it...
no idea mike! ive always said if it will happen, it will happen to me... gonna do the combustion test in the morn... ive said it once and ill say it again, not your fault mike! i know dam well you did the build/install correctly.. chit happens..

live life full throttle

That's refreshing to see man! Kudos.:thumbup:
Seems all too often on the forums (not this one in particular, just in general) reputable shop's get their name's drug through the dirt over over things that are out of their control.

Arisley

Reaction score
Hmm really odd on the converter bolts as they were torqued to 28 ft lbs. I guess I need to start using locktite or something on them. Never had an issue with them coming loose after torquing them to 28 ft lbs before on all the trans's I've done.

I was always told to either use new bolts or Loctite them. Nine times out of ten, you will be fine, that tenth time will bite your ass.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
with fresh coolant in the system, how long should it take to see results if it is leaking combustion gases? drove the truck down the road to get stuff hot and circulating.
be2a2uty.jpg

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
took it for another drive around the section which was about an 8 mile run.. wot up to 100mph at 36 lbs of boost.... brought it back in the shop and the combustion leak test has been on the coolant tank for ten minutes and its not changing one bit...

just to make sure the die was working, i stuck it in the tail pipe and it changed to a yellowish green color..

i guess it isn't leaking gasses in to the coolant..
live life full throttle

Binder man

Reaction score
I was always told to either use new bolts or Loctite them. Nine times out of ten, you will be fine, that tenth time will bite your ass.

True that! I've gotten in the habit of always blue loc-tite'ing them. Makes it a PITA if they come back in and I have to drop the tranny but well worth the insurance!

That plug looks like it wasn't in far enough to me. I've went as far as using High-Tack on the outside edge of them on my personal motors.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I loctited mine in and hoping they dont.give me any grief. 28 ft-lbs doesnt seem like.much. I remember thinking that when I was setting the tq wrench up.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
hmmm.... come to think of it, thats not the first time ive had loose converter bolts.... well not loose enough to make it rattle and bang... but one was finger tight when i took my truck to BTS about 3 months after i had it installed, and brian asked who put the converter bolts in.... also dont remember him even using a tq wrench on them when he put the new converter in... wonder if he just tightens them or just has done it a million times that he doesnt need to!.. that was a long time ago though... wonder if they where loose at all when mike pulled the motor...

this works in a pinch to slow down the coolant if a plug comes out... it slows it down and it still leaks out, but not dumps out as fast as you poor it in.
3eqy5e9a.jpg
4enyzy8u.jpg

live life full throttle

907DAVE

Reaction score
Was the block tester passing air with no primer bulb on it?

FWIW, I had a 6.2 a while back that had blown gaskets and a warped deck that would not fail the chemical test. Not sure why, but they were obviously blown as it was constantly pushing air even after it was completely warm.

Last edited:

bluedge8

Reaction score
I hope you have it figured out, you can buy rubber type freeze plugs for your trip just to throw in the tool box should you need them. Where in MN are you going to be?