Need sub help.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Are you planning on putting new speakers in the truck to or are you just doing the sub? If you are just doing the sub that will be way to much amp for it.

machinestheman

Reaction score
if your new head unit does not have built in hpf i would put some in to keep your door speakers from working against the subs unless you plan on upgrading the door speakers aswell this will also allow the stock system to sound crisper and cleaner by taking the low bass out of the equasion

as far as choosing the amp and speakers find an amp that is capable of putting out what your speakers can handle at the ohm configuration you plan on running in my opinio i would find both of what you want first before pulling he trigger on an amp or speakers and as far as brand integrity i have ran the cheapest of the cheap and outperformed many name brand setups at stereo competitions as lo g as the rms ratings match you are golden
also if you stay with a single sub and stick with about an 800-
1000 watt amp would be my suggestion also you can stick with your stock battery without any power issues to the amp at those levels
hope this helps any questions feel free to hit me up i have built many budget stereos that sounded better than a high end so called professional installation

jdc753

Reaction score
My buddy just put this box together for a single 8" sub

IMG956193.jpg

59562_10151368926479031_648867029_n.jpg

I don't have much specs, or other pics of it, but I could probably get them if you want.

Obviously for the 10" sub it will have to stick out about 2" further. Honestly I think personally I would try and stick with 8" subs given the room beneath the seat. There is enough airspace to fit an 10" or even a pair, but I personally think it will be just a touch too much of a foot space killer, but maybe it isn't as bad as I envision.

Decent sub selection, should work good.

However on that amp, you missed the mark quite a bit, let me save you a couple hundred dollars.

That amp you picked dishes out 250w @ 2ohm (which is good for what you are looking for with the above subwoofer) BUT... it does 250w x 4... 4 channels, that is a monster of an amp right there, well pretty big when it comes to a 4-channel speaker amp, usually 100w x 4 is good enough, and anything larger is starting to be overkill. Basically that amp there will properly power, 4 of those subs.

This amp is more what you are looking for, http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=225203

250w x 1 @ 2ohm and only $160 instead of $650

Now if you want to run a pair of the 10's you will want a different amp, no problem. Just gotta go one piece at a time, lay everything out set some goals and everything will fall into place.

O ok, i assumed ex cabs had the same amount of room behind the seat as crew cabs. I have a 12" L7 in my regular cab being pushed right at 1000rms at 1ohm which is highly overpowered and it slams. Had 3 13" slim mounts at 1200rms before and that would rattle my sliding back glass open if it wasn't locked.

sent from the stool.

Dang L7 is a DEEP sub, whats the legroom like in the regular cab with that sucker back there. Guessing its behind the passenger seat. Must be a blast!!

Now if you got some pics of the 3-13's I would love to see that, musta been killer, output and clarity right there!

white07psd

Reaction score
Thats the 13s. They're power akoustics. blew 2 of them from drink bottles getting wedged in between the seats and subs lol.. i made the box and bedlined it. Its just dusty.
sent from the stool.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358348301923.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358348301923.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 64

white07psd

Reaction score
I cut my back panel, herculined the back wall, took out the cab vents then installed flush vents. The box is a prefab 1 cubic ft. I had to stuff it with polyfil to make up for the lack of airspace. Im going to build a box the whole width of the seats, probably around 3.5 cubic ft sealed and add another l7. My plans are to get 2 750-1000rms amps and strap them because i cant fit a big amp under the seats. As you can see, still plenty of legroom with the seat flush with the center console.
yzeja8ur.jpg

sent from the stool.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358349135758.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358349135758.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 62
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358349187819.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358349187819.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 47

jdc753

Reaction score
Thats the 13s. They're power akoustics. blew 2 of them from drink bottles getting wedged in between the seats and subs lol.. i made the box and bedlined it. Its just dusty.
sent from the stool.

Not too bad, I forgot they made some 13's, I was thinking it was JL 13.5's (too rich for my blood)

Now onto a more important topic... that wide framed cub cadet on the bench!! It's a little newer than my dad's collection, but pretty cool to see some others working the old tractors too. My dad has at least 20+ of them with a good 8-10 full restored.

Surprised at how well that L7 fits in there, not too bad at all, guess the regular cabs have some good space inside. I would see if you can find someone to build a box, full width, and then get the big amp mounted to the box between the 2. Mount it vertically and it should fit no problem, but I bet you could get it to fit horizontally too, wouldn't suck up too much airspace either.

smokedout250

Reaction score
My buddy just put this box together for a single 8" sub

IMG956193.jpg

59562_10151368926479031_648867029_n.jpg

I don't have much specs, or other pics of it, but I could probably get them if you want.

Obviously for the 10" sub it will have to stick out about 2" further. Honestly I think personally I would try and stick with 8" subs given the room beneath the seat. There is enough airspace to fit an 10" or even a pair, but I personally think it will be just a touch too much of a foot space killer, but maybe it isn't as bad as I envision.

Decent sub selection, should work good.

However on that amp, you missed the mark quite a bit, let me save you a couple hundred dollars.

That amp you picked dishes out 250w @ 2ohm (which is good for what you are looking for with the above subwoofer) BUT... it does 250w x 4... 4 channels, that is a monster of an amp right there, well pretty big when it comes to a 4-channel speaker amp, usually 100w x 4 is good enough, and anything larger is starting to be overkill. Basically that amp there will properly power, 4 of those subs.

This amp is more what you are looking for, http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=225203

250w x 1 @ 2ohm and only $160 instead of $650

Now if you want to run a pair of the 10's you will want a different amp, no problem. Just gotta go one piece at a time, lay everything out set some goals and everything will fall into place.

Dang L7 is a DEEP sub, whats the legroom like in the regular cab with that sucker back there. Guessing its behind the passenger seat. Must be a blast!!

Now if you got some pics of the 3-13's I would love to see that, musta been killer, output and clarity right there!

Wow thanks! You guys are alot of help. I'm not doing speakers and the moment just subs. Eventually I will swap speakers but my stock are okay for now. I think I'm gonna stick in the 8" range more space and should be plenty of space if I need more ill upgrade later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

white07psd

Reaction score
Anytime, totally off subject but yea its a 128. Its a 110hp pulling tractor. Has a 40hp (when it was stock) kohler v twin

sent from the stool.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358357289699.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358357289699.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 62

jdc753

Reaction score
Wow thanks! You guys are alot of help. I'm not doing speakers and the moment just subs. Eventually I will swap speakers but my stock are okay for now. I think I'm gonna stick in the 8" range more space and should be plenty of space if I need more ill upgrade later!

Just keep the questions coming and we can walk you right through the whole process. Always glad to help out!

Anytime, totally off subject but yea its a 128. Its a 110hp pulling tractor. Has a 40hp (when it was stock) kohler v twin

sent from the stool.

Nice, making some good power for sure. Thats the most power I have heard before out of any of those little things. I have heard of the 16HP Kohler singles getting bumped up to over 50hp on alcohol. All of my dad's are either original condition or restored, nothing hopped up.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Just keep the questions coming and we can walk you right through the whole process. Always glad to help out!

Any advice on a low dollar double din? Found a decent jvc. I'm looking for touch screen but don't need the GPS crap just want to hook my iPhone for music

jdc753

Reaction score
For that I wish I could give you a model to go and look at, but I just haven't shopped for them in a while. Check out www.sonicelectronix.com and look at the Kenwood units, probably the cheapest for the functions you get, also look at the Pioneer units, all other name brands should be fine, JVC makes quality products.

Basically all name brand units will be pretty comparable, just find something you like cosmetically and that has the features you want. I know before iPod controls were a big deal, Pioneer and Alpine had the best for a while, but I would imagine most everyone else has caught up by now.

EDIT: Just browsed pretty quick over at sonic and I can't believe how cheap some of these things are.

white07psd

Reaction score
Sonic is all i deal with. They have everything and is cheaper then everybody

sent from the stool.

smokedout250

Reaction score
For that I wish I could give you a model to go and look at, but I just haven't shopped for them in a while. Check out www.sonicelectronix.com and look at the Kenwood units, probably the cheapest for the functions you get, also look at the Pioneer units, all other name brands should be fine, JVC makes quality products.

Basically all name brand units will be pretty comparable, just find something you like cosmetically and that has the features you want. I know before iPod controls were a big deal, Pioneer and Alpine had the best for a while, but I would imagine most everyone else has caught up by now.

EDIT: Just browsed pretty quick over at sonic and I can't believe how cheap some of these things are.

This is the kenwood I'm looking at
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/Mobile_Video/DDX319

jdc753

Reaction score
Looks like a good unit, I was pretty shocked to see 4v on the pre-outs, usually 2v has been the industry standard for a while.

Just looks like you will have to order the iPod cable seperately, and then also the PAC module to keep your steering wheel controls.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Looks like a good unit, I was pretty shocked to see 4v on the pre-outs, usually 2v has been the industry standard for a while.

Just looks like you will have to order the iPod cable seperately, and then also the PAC module to keep your steering wheel controls.

Don't have steering wheel controls lol hope taxes are good to me

jdc753

Reaction score
There ya go, even easier!

With that purchase you will need a mounting kit (about $25) and an adapter harness (about $15) which Sonic will take care of when you order. It shows on the site that it might all be free even.

Then with the amplifier you will need an amp installation kit, also good at sonic. You might want to at least get the amp kit at the same time as the radio, only because you will need to access the back of the radio when you install the amp. But if you don't mind pulling the radio again to install a couple of wires then you can order it whenever.

When you get around to installing the radio just let me know and I can walk you through it if you need help. I have pulled mine so many times I could do it blind folded and probably under 5 minutes.

Latest posts

Members online