new to the site....cam question?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
A couple years back, when everybody complained about Bean's dyno reading low I did 361 on stage 1's.

The same truck with the same injectors plus a couple other tweaks, later trapped at 93, weighing 8000.

Trap and dyno never lined up on that engine, with those injectors. It always trapped better than it dyno'd.

But, I'd call it the exception rather than the rule. Stage 1's (160/stock) aren't a 400 horse injector.

goodie85

Reaction score
Not being a smart @$$... but I didn't think you could get much above 350 on stage 1's. :shrug:

thaTS why i told you guys to be the judge......i thought the same thing, i never seen the dyno sheet, just was goin off of what he had to say either way im no SD mechanic or know it all, hence the reason i came to the site.....TO LEARN!.....the advice is great but ill wait for the tranny to go before i replace it now

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
If your slowly building up your truck just run it. Like you said if it blows, replace it it.

And BTW, When you use the letter I in any sentence, its always capitalized as its referencing a person.

Good spelling and grammar go a ways on a forum.

itS hard to reed.....and figur out y giys dont help fix my truck when i ask ?s on y it brok........ and they treet me like i young and stupid cause i refews to useproper puncuation and grammar.......

Capitals.
Periods and commas.
And proper paragraph form.

Please use them.

goodie85

Reaction score
If your slowly building up your truck just run it. Like you said if it blows, replace it it.

And BTW, When you use the letter I in any sentence, its always capitalized as its referencing a person.

Good spelling and grammar go a ways on a forum.

itS hard to reed.....and figur out y giys dont help fix my truck when i ask ?s on y it brok........ and they treet me like i young and stupid cause i refews to useproper puncuation and grammar.......

Capitals.
Periods and commas.
And proper paragraph form.

Please use them.

Thanks for the advice. Sorry about the grammar and whatnot. I don't normally realize it typing from my blackberry. I'll make sure to take my time and have it in good form.

Stupid is something I'm not, and I promise you that.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Sorry about the grammar and whatnot. I don't normally realize it typing from my blackberry. I'll make sure to take my time and have it in good form.

Stupid is something I'm not, and I promise you that.

Way to take it!!!

And yeah, run that trans till it's a problem and then evaluate your other options. You are already vested. May as well get what you can out of it, which very well could be a long service life.

goodie85

Reaction score
Way to take it!!!

And yeah, run that trans till it's a problem and then evaluate your other options. You are already vested. May as well get what you can out of it, which very well could be a long service life.

If I was stupid I would've rambled on about how he's a dumb*** yada yada (I'm guessing he's not a dumb*** so why look like a fool).

That's what I was thinking as well, it may not have the name of "BTS" surrounding it but they do stand by their product and are very easy to work with. They are very easy to get ahold of and ask questions getting good answers as well. I'll be the first to admit that it isn't as good as a BTS, but I'm sure there is a reason why many drag racers run Certified transmissions in their 9 second cars. I understand cars and diesels are completely different but at the time I needed a transmission fast and they were right there. I didn't have time to wait a week. Heat of the moment buy, and so far so good even though it hasn't really been put to the test yet.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Good call, stupid wasn't directed at you per say. I was just using it as an example.

Depending on your goals. Headstuds, valvesprings and pushrods are necessities to consider. Most will say 400 and below they are not needed. But for under 1000$ its a nice piece of mind.

goodie85

Reaction score
Good call, stupid wasn't directed at you per say. I was just using it as an example.

Depending on your goals. Headstuds, valvesprings and pushrods are necessities to consider. Most will say 400 and below they are not needed. But for under 1000$ its a nice piece of mind.

I'm going for reliability, so those parts are definitely on the list. I have been just trying to put a budget together so I can work around it and have the truck built by at least mid summer.

Tax return that's coming back was estimated at around $2800, so that should help to get started.

Im guessing that I'll end up around that 380hp mark, but that will be plenty for my applications. The extra 20-70hp would just cap off my goal.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
If I was stupid I would've rambled on about how he's a dumb*** yada yada (I'm guessing he's not a dumb*** so why look like a fool).

That's what I was thinking as well, it may not have the name of "BTS" surrounding it but they do stand by their product and are very easy to work with. They are very easy to get ahold of and ask questions getting good answers as well. I'll be the first to admit that it isn't as good as a BTS, but I'm sure there is a reason why many drag racers run Certified transmissions in their 9 second cars. I understand cars and diesels are completely different but at the time I needed a transmission fast and they were right there. I didn't have time to wait a week. Heat of the moment buy, and so far so good even though it hasn't really been put to the test yet.

If they build hot rod gasser transmissions they'll probably be diligent about providing you with a good product.

That said, did they sell you this trans understanding that it was gonna get used hard?

goodie85

Reaction score
If they build hot rod gasser transmissions they'll probably be diligent about providing you with a good product.

That said, did they sell you this trans understanding that it was gonna get used hard?

I told them I was going for 400-450hp, and that I had a 8" lift with 38's and they said that was just fine and if the tranny failed in anyway within the warranty time period, it would be covered. I also told them that it will be used towing and that it would be rodded on quite a few times and they said it would all be covered. They said "We didn't build a performance transmission to go get groceries."

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
For 400-450, supporting mods (Intake, Exhaust, Gauges), 6 Position, Hybrids, regulated return, 38R, you'll be happy.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
P.S. The cam is a good idea down the road... That being said... Forget a lot of what you know about modifying a gas vehicle... It usually doesn't apply here.

goodie85

Reaction score
P.S. The cam is a good idea down the road... That being said... Forget a lot of what you know about modifying a gas vehicle... It usually doesn't apply here.

That's exactly where I got the cam idea from and, almost all my horsepower knowledge from. I've built a few mean gas jobs, but never a diesel. I just need to learn diesel power now. It'll be quite the road I'm sure.

Your earlier post helped A LOT!!!!!!! Thank You.

I'm just waiting for the tax return since I can't put a whole lot of hours in at work during the school year/hockey season. Once thats done I should be ready to start buying the mods. Just wanted some insight before hand to build a strong reliable truck. I probably should have just stuck to the sticky...

Arisley

Reaction score
Like my tuner told me once upon a time.

You can do it all at once and get a big grin (permagrin).
Once it is gone, all you have is the good running truck, it will still bring a smile to your face, but the "permagrin" is gone.

Or, you can do it in steps and get a "permagrin" in every step.

Exhaust and intake = little permagrin.

Gauges, not really any grin, but good piece of mind.

Tranny, I think you have temporarily taken care of. I have put almost 100K on mine with a tuner plus some, 50K at or near 500HP. Stock tranny with a Sonnax valve and tricumalator springs from David at DI, and a heavy duty TC from O'Reilly's.

Good tuning, do some reading and ask some questions, call and talk to tuners. Find one you like and run with them. If you have a custom tuner that lives close to you, so much the better. Big huge permagrin.

Oil, your injectors will need more oil when you get there, address this one before the injectors. Another permagrin.

OK, now you get into the bucks, and you should do this all at once because it takes a lot of time that will be repeated if you do them seperately. Injectors (Buy more than you think you want, otherwise, you will be going back and doing it again). Turbo, a 38R will get you to your goal, but you are maxed out at that point. Get something with a T4 mount or a Hypermax mount, it leaves you lots of room to grow. I suggest an modded H2E, wish I had gotten a modded one. Headstuds, gotta have them for reliability in my opinion. Valve springs, same reason. Springs also give you a little more confidence when you look down at your tach and see yourself 800 RPM's past the red line. (Trust me, it will happen). At this point you will have to have your chip reburned. There are tuners out there that will offer free reburns for future mods. This is a huge monster permagrin that will take a while to go away.

My only advice to you on tuners. Most tuners use a TS style chip. If you buy a chip from tuner A, and decide you want to try tuner B, if they are both using TS style chips, it is no problem, all you have to pay for is the fee for their tunes, no hardware changes. If you buy from someone that does not use a TS chip, you are kinda wedded to them as your tuner unless you make another hardware change. This does not mean that you will get worse tunes or anything like that, just that nobody else can load tunes on their chip.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
That's exactly where I got the cam idea from and, almost all my horsepower knowledge from. I've built a few mean gas jobs, but never a diesel. I just need to learn diesel power now. It'll be quite the road I'm sure.

Your earlier post helped A LOT!!!!!!! Thank You.

I'm just waiting for the tax return since I can't put a whole lot of hours in at work during the school year/hockey season. Once thats done I should be ready to start buying the mods. Just wanted some insight before hand to build a strong reliable truck. I probably should have just stuck to the sticky...

Where do you go to school and play hockey at?

goodie85

Reaction score
Where do you go to school and play hockey at?

I go to school here in Watertown and play for Watertown, I also play for South Dakota's national team during late summer into the fall. Last year we took 2nd in the nation. I have also played for Shattuck's summer clubs and for the Omaha Lancers.

Charles

Reaction score
The transmission required behind a 450hp 7.3 would need to be a bit stronger than what would hold up behind a racing gas engine making over 1000 REAR WHEEL horsepower. In each case the input torque that the trans must handle will be nearly identical!

And the gasser wouldn't just ride around town, flogging over 1000 wheel all day, everyday like the diesel will at 450hp if the driver likes to enjoy his truck. Ask him how long his transmission would hold up behind a 1100rwhp big block that gets floored on a daily basis, over and over. That's longer than it would last in a 450hp diesel pickup that probably weighs 7000 to 9000lbs empty.

Just a quick explanation on why PLENTY of shops that can build a tough gas transmission fail MISERABLY when they dive into the diesel realm.

Moral of the story, is to run what you've got and if you ever actually make 450rwhp and it bites it.... just go get a trans. The last thing you want to do is spend every weekend pulling the trans back out of your truck and making the guy that owns the trans shop shutter to even hear your name spoken by having him rebuild it a half dozen times and still not be able to make it hold up behind a modest diesel engine twisting the bejesus out of it on a daily basis.

On Edit:

Worried that I was still unclear, a 7.3 making 450rwhp is probably making an easy 800ftlbs, probably more, just just say 800. Say you had a race-prepped gasser that was able to make such a torque number at 6000rpm, that redlined at say 8000 or so. Well, 800ft/lbs at 6000rpm would be 900rwhp. There's your 9 second car right there. Say the diesel made 900ft/lbs. Now you're talking about 1028rwhp out of the gasser. Except the disel is much harder on the trans, usually applying near peak torque over a broader percentage of the working range vs a gasser that will dip in and out of the peak value and lay over, giving the trans a break. Plus the gasser will almost certainly not ever do something like hook to a gooseneck with a bobcat behind it, lol.

I'm just trying to illustrate why a shop that can build a hell of a gasser trans can easily bite off way more than they can chew with even a modest turbodiesel application.

Last edited:

goodie85

Reaction score
The transmission required behind a 450hp 7.3 would need to be a bit stronger than what would hold up behind a racing gas engine making over 1000 REAR WHEEL horsepower. In each case the input torque that the trans must handle will be nearly identical!

And the gasser wouldn't just ride around town, flogging over 1000 wheel all day, everyday like the diesel will at 450hp if the driver likes to enjoy his truck. Ask him how long his transmission would hold up behind a 1100rwhp big block that gets floored on a daily basis, over and over. That's longer than it would last in a 450hp diesel pickup that probably weighs 7000 to 9000lbs empty.

Just a quick explanation on why PLENTY of shops that can build a tough gas transmission fail MISERABLY when they dive into the diesel realm.

Moral of the story, is to run what you've got and if you ever actually make 450rwhp and it bites it.... just go get a trans. The last thing you want to do is spend every weekend pulling the trans back out of your truck and making the guy that owns the trans shop shutter to even hear your name spoken by having him rebuild it a half dozen times and still not be able to make it hold up behind a modest diesel engine twisting the bejesus out of it on a daily basis.

On Edit:

Worried that I was still unclear, a 7.3 making 450rwhp is probably making an easy 800ftlbs, probably more, just just say 800. Say you had a race-prepped gasser that was able to make such a torque number at 6000rpm, that redlined at say 8000 or so. Well, 800ft/lbs at 6000rpm would be 900rwhp. There's your 9 second car right there. Say the diesel made 900ft/lbs. Now you're talking about 1028rwhp out of the gasser. Except the disel is much harder on the trans, usually applying near peak torque over a broader percentage of the working range vs a gasser that will dip in and out of the peak value and lay over, giving the trans a break. Plus the gasser will almost certainly not ever do something like hook to a gooseneck with a bobcat behind it, lol.

I'm just trying to illustrate why a shop that can build a hell of a gasser trans can easily bite off way more than they can chew with even a modest turbodiesel application.

I completely understand where you are coming from, I agree. Except I'll just abuse this tranny until it bites the dust, then have warranty cover it, and sell it to the local trans shop. Then purchase a BTS, until then though I will run the hell out of the Certified trans.

Your mini article is spot on though and I agree completely. At the time though I went with a company I have done business with before. I have had gasser trans. built by them and was satisfied beyond expectations, figured I'd try their diesel trans.

Latest posts

Members online