OBS 7.3 engine and pickup build HP goal is in the 600HP range

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Anti drain back? I know one guy had this issue and i guess a valve was stuck open draining all the oil before it could refill itself. ill text him in the am and see exactly what it was.

Thanks for the idea. But I am still 100% sure it is the oil pump and front cover. My reason is a... well... reason I do not like to share. other then I put the one gear for the oil pump in backwards. I got the small gear in right but the big gear backwards. So it chewed the pump up and the front cover in the 6 minutes I had it running!

Needless to say I bought a melling LPOP and am going to buy a front cover here in a bit.

As a side note. i can fill the HPOP reservoir up and leave it for weeks on end and it will not drain back. SO I am sure it is not that.

I know have to pull the engine again.. what a pain!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Dude, you're all over the place here. Sounds like you are just flying by the seat of your britches. Slow down and check your work. Im not being a prick but how.can you be confident you didnt forget something else?

I have yet to put my motor back in so Im not busting your balls just reminding you to slow down and check things before you move on.

Good luck!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Dude, you're all over the place here. Sounds like you are just flying by the seat of your britches. Slow down and check your work. Im not being a prick but how.can you be confident you didnt forget something else?

I have yet to put my motor back in so Im not busting your balls just reminding you to slow down and check things before you move on.

Good luck!

I have yet to forget a thing on the engine. Everything is put back together right inside and is torqued to the factory specs. Cant get better then that. You would be shocked at how many times I check things then come in and check the computer to make sure it is right. As for slow down??? This has taken me month to do. Nothing speedy about!!

One gear on the oil pump was put in backwords. that is all. Infact one of the gears no longer had the mark on it to show what way to put it. I got that one right! The one that had the mark on it got put in wrong. All it said was "out" So when i put it in I put it facing out of the oil pump housing. wrong way. They meant pointing out from the engine. The other pump I have has says dampener on it. That one was easy to get right!!!

All in all I wish now I would have bought a melling to start with. would have worked out better. I had no need to change the factory one, it was still working good, and as the saying goes if it aint broke dont mess with it. well now I will always change out the factory pump with a melling pump. No questions asked!!!

Do not worry. I do not take you as a prick. Just blunt!! I find myself being that way to. LOL

Thanks! Will be happy when the parts come in. If all goes well I will have abuilt engine to change it out for this fall or next spring. The built engine will get the work from top to the bottom. ;)

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well, i was alluding to the fact you dropped.a.nut in your motor, put the lpop in wrong, and squirted oil.all over the place because you FORGOT to put a plug in. Oh, and.that might be contributory to the slipping.clutch since the valley drains and runs right.down the side of the motor into your bellhousing. Theres a few reasons I said to check your work and I would be pissed if I did those.things.

Now, get back to.work!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, i was alluding to the fact you dropped.a.nut in your motor, put the lpop in wrong, and squirted oil.all over the place because you FORGOT to put a plug in. Oh, and.that might be contributory to the slipping.clutch since the valley drains and runs right.down the side of the motor into your bellhousing. Theres a few reasons I said to check your work and I would be pissed if I did those.things.

Now, get back to.work!

That was a bad deal. Thought it went in the valley, Later I found one just like it so thought it was all good. Nope! Yea I forgot about the plug on the end of the turbo feed line. no big deal. Just made a mess. The clutch was dry when i took it out, There was not much oil lost. infact it did not even make it out the back that is how little it was. just sat in the valley. I thought you were saying I had forgot something in the engine! I was not happy about the nut. The little bit of oil was just water under a bridge. Fired it up and saw the oil spray so I killed it. it shot out the front of the engine on the wall, one reason why not much made it to the valley.

O well it is water under a bridge. What i am doing here is small fry's. Try splitting a tractor on dirt without all the right jacks and parts to roll the halve apart. That gets a little hair raising! LOL I rebuilt my first engine when i was 14, worked perfect to the day i sold it. This was the first engine i have ever had something go bad after I touched it!! LOL

907DAVE

Reaction score
A stuck anti drain back check ball will not allow oil in the reservoir to drain out. The reservoir is a standpipe design and that check ball is on the feed port.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
A little update. I pulled the engine out after work on Thursday. took the oil pan off and changed the front cover and put the melling LPOP on and put the engine back together and back in the pickup along with the transmission and most of the accessories on Friday. Got the rest of the drive train back in, Mounted the turbo and IC pipes Filled it with oil, coolant, Power steering oil. Charged the battery's, Hooked the starter up. filled the HPOP reservoir and made sure the rail were full. Then cranked it for about 10 to 11 seconds and it started right up. Took a little more cranking then I thought it should. Might be because I did not fill the HPOP lines this time. This was my day on Saturday. Well at least the part of day I was able to work on it. Let it warm up for about 10 to minutes then shut it of.. went out later and put more of the front end back in thenddrive it for about eight or ten miles.

Here is the start up Video. DISCLAIMER! I only revved it to about 1,500 to 1,700 RPMs
th_firststart005_zps05629256.jpg

ON EDIT: Dont mind the mess!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I really haven't looked at the gears closely to see the difference.

ok Well I learned the had way. I should have asked before just going with it.

On the 97 and older ones the gears have OUT wrote on one side of the gear(s) This face out away from the engine or toward the dampener. (same thing just different ways of saying it).

One of my gears said OUT the other did not have thing wrote on it. Was all worn off AND I did not know it was supposed to say anything. Funny thing is that is the gear i got in right. The one that said OUT, I put facing OUT of the Gear housing. And in turn that made it point toward the engine. and that in turn chewed the front cover up in less then 6 minutes time.

The 99 and newer have Dampener wrote on them. Witch mean toward the dampener... So they are self explanatory. Go figure I think that is better then saying OUT.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Cold start up. let it sit for 24 hours then started it up. Does not start as good as it could yet but still good! Might do better after I run it more. I seem to think it started better then that before. could be wrong though.

th_video002_zps07f4ab12.jpg

ON EDIT: The pickup needs a good cleaning. And some lose ends tied up.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Video driving. I need to get somebody to hold the camera for me. Would make it a lot easier to film and drive. I need to finish the pickup and CLEAN it. Then get on the highway and do some runs. Gravel roads are not good for that stuff. One reason it was harder to film and drive. Besides it was rough!

Well here it is. again sorry it did not turn out good.

th_video003_zpsa5aff418.jpg

I have one more that i will load up and put up. Then I will wait till it is done and clean and on the highway with a person to hold the camera.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Last video till It is all together. And I get it on the highway.

Clutch slipped a couple of times.

th_video004_zps5c61a8ad.jpg

Does anyone want a lightly used Valair Single disk 500/1000 clutch and flywheel??? I would sell it cheap.

I want to get a DD clutch.

Members online

No members online now.