OBS 7.3 engine and pickup build HP goal is in the 600HP range

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Swaped IDMs still the same.... So I swapped out #1 injector (this one failed the test) with The #6 injector (this one passed the test).. I started it up (after iget the oil and fuel worked out) And let it idle for a bit. Was trying to let the oil hit 160+ degrees,, Well it never made it... One of the rocker arms broke!! and shot the push rod up and out and almost hit me in the face!!! The engine had just started nocking again really bad so I was leaning over it trying to see if I could locate the noise... Well the nocking stoped when the rod flew by my face...

So I will need a new rocker arm before moving on... I hope that was what made the noise BUT I will not say for shure... still sounded like it cam from the front cylinder...

Umm.... your truck broke a rocker arm and shot the push rod out at you at idle?

Sounds like you have something in the cylinder bore.... just plan on pulling the head and having it over with - if its not something in the cylinder bore its something substantially worse that still requires the head to get pulled.

It could also be a lifter that isn't bleeding correctly and acting solid.... but that still requires the head to come off....

I can't think of anything else that would cause you to break a rocker arm at idle... you have some mechanical interference from something.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Umm.... your truck broke a rocker arm and shot the push rod out at you at idle?

Sounds like you have something in the cylinder bore.... just plan on pulling the head and having it over with - if its not something in the cylinder bore its something substantially worse that still requires the head to get pulled.

It could also be a lifter that isn't bleeding correctly and acting solid.... but that still requires the head to come off....

I can't think of anything else that would cause you to break a rocker arm at idle... you have some mechanical interference from something.

Thanks for the information Jason!!! I am picking up a bore scope to take a peak in the engine... I hope its nothing bad.. But it does not sound good!!!

Not shure why it would have started to nock like that...

And one more thing it does not haze @ a idle... really does not have much blowby.. it so little its hard to see....

I will wait for the bore scope and compression tester to get here then go from there..

Thanks again!!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Awesome build any updates? is the garrett 4204 turbo comparable to this?

No real updates... I have no shop so the project has been put on hold till spring. Or till i get a warmer day....

As for the turbo when you look at the specs it should flow about the same as a Garrett GT4202 (PS Garrett does not make a 4204 turbo)

Garrett GT4202 flows about 95 LB/min

Billet Holset HX55 66/99 comp wheel flows .75 KG/s and that comes out to 99 LB/min.

The HX55 lights really quick!! it hits about 15 to 16 PSI and boom it comes ti life fast!!!

You ever figure this one out?

I think so.. Just have not had a good day yet to completely take the engine apart. Right now the engine is out of the pickup with the lower end took apart. The rods are all good nothing wrong there.. I just have to take the front cover off the engine to prove what I think is wrong.. then I can move on to fixing it and putting it back together..

My guess is there is a IC clamp nut in the piston.. When I find out for shore I will post how it happened..

At least it is not a rod like i thought.. But if it is a nut. It will make me feel a lot dumber..

It is supposed to be -30 in the morning. Not a good day to work on a -30 engine. besides it is snowing and blowing right now to..

Will post up what becomes of the engine and pickup.. Just needed to take a break from the diesel and other forum in general..

old man dave

Reaction score
Don't feel bad, I once dropped a 1/4" lockwasher down a carb and then started it. It did not blow out the exhaust.....:hammer: The first time or the second time after pulling the head......

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I got time to work on the pickup and here is the deal.. The head and valves are great not a thing wrong with them.... The piston well that is another story..

Here are some picture of what happen when you get in a hurry... I will say this IF you ever drop a not and cant find it STOP what you are doing and find it BEFORE moving on... I learned this one the hard way.........

73LPiston001_zps589759bf.jpg

73LPiston002_zps1f5bbcf4.jpg

yup no question about it..... Its a nut!
73LPiston003_zpseb19403a.jpg

73LPiston004_zpsf0733e89.jpg

Well the piston is not cracked BUT it could.. I think I am going to buy another one for safety... I might clean this one up and see what it really looks like first.... Will see though.

any thought on this from the engine builders???

907DAVE

Reaction score
Don't use that piston! Might even consider finding another rod too.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I have another piston on the way.. First thing i did was buy one.. this piston has a hair line crack down the side next to the nut.... Does not look good!!! I would have to be on Crack to try and use that piston over again!!!!!

I have a set of forged rods i could dig into if need be...

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
holy ***! how are the heads fine?

live life full throttle

The only reason I can think of is the fact that the head is cast iron and the piston is aluminum.. And the aluminum was subjected to 900 to 1300 Degrees of EGTs. That right there would make it pound into the piston a little more easy..
also the nut was not a hard not. it was a self locking nylon washer with a steel casing so it was a soft nut. The head has a really light mark were the nut would hit. I am going to take the valves out and look at them though.. They seat fine as it is and open and close good. Just what is 15 minutes of work to be sure?

:whs: Sucks that that happened but she will be up and going again sometime soon I hope? Definitely a sweet build.

I hope to be on the road with it when I go to Three Forks to the GMRA Bull sale. Will be the first trip and first time pulling trailer since all the work I did to it.. BUT that date is less then a month away!! Time will go buy FAST!

Does any one have the torque specs for the Rod bolts and the main Bearing bolts??

Thanks!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
It should have mo lack of power... But the rest depends on my tuning...

We shall see!! I hope it works good. I have a 500hp rated clutch but it slipped when I got into it.