Odd ball 38R...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
So with all the billet wheel stuff going around I thought I would give one a try in Chelsea's Excursion...

Problem is... It doesn't fit! The compressor wheel on our 38R is smaller then the 38R's on the market right now...

I did not have any calipers the other night, but hope to get some measurements this weekend.

I asked around, only thing I can think of is this is a first gen ATS/Garrett BB turbo that was left sitting on the shelf 7 years ago... But even that seems unlikely as the ATS BB turbo has not been around since about 2002 or so. Anyone got any guesses?

It is a BB center section and has a BB part number, but does NOT have an 88mm compressor wheel.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
what other ball bearing turbos are there? old ats, turbonetics, and garret? isnt the 38r the only one with a bigger compressor wheel then stock? as in the other two are stock wheeled bb turbos? or am i way off?

live life full throttle

CSIPSD

Reaction score
what other ball bearing turbos are there? old ats, turbonetics, and garret? isnt the 38r the only one with a bigger compressor wheel then stock? as in the other two are stock wheeled bb turbos? or am i way off?

live life full throttle

The old ATS turbos were made by Garrett...

The TN is a single BB turbo and uses a larger compressor wheel as well...

bad12jr

Reaction score
Pictures please. This is interesting.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Pictures please..... What does the wheel measure Joe??? On the 38R you have now...

Best I can do now... I will get some measurements this weekend... The picture with the housing spaced out is with the new wheel. Then the old wheel sitting in the housing.

Its very strange, but its not an 88mm wheel. Almost looks like a stock sized compressor wheel...

Attachments

• 1359998020757.jpg
    1359998020757.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 1359998021985.jpg
    1359998021985.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 154

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Do you have a stock superduty wheel layin around to check just for sh*ts and giggles?

I do... and I will be trying it this weekend, but measurments is all I need.

I just cant understand it myself and are curious if there are others out there...

I'll snap a picture of the part number tag tomorrow. Had it, but its gone missing.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Worst case scenario, i know you can send it to river city turbo and have it.machined, barder turbo service may be able to do it to. May want to call James at barder he may have some answers for you about what that is too.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Did you buy it new? I'm wondering if someone has swapped a stocker backing plate and ported housing with the stock wheel on to the bb cartridge.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Did you buy it new? I'm wondering if someone has swapped a stocker backing plate and ported housing with the stock wheel on to the bb cartridge.

is it at least a 4 inch inlet on the compressor housing?

Guys...

I've installed Dozens of 38R's... Installed 6 different ones on my truck alone.

This one came from Garrett directly! It was one of my warranty issues with oil leaks.

You cant swap a clockable housing onto a standard center section...

A non 38R housing will not fit a 38R backing plate.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
you said it could be an old one... i was just wondering if it had the 4in ported housing on it... kinda figured you knew a thing or two about a 38r joe...

Latest posts

Members online