Odd ball 38R...

bad12jr

Reaction score
Ok that's what I was wondering. Thinking out loud. That is even more odd coming from Garrett.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Does the billet wheel fit the back plate ? If so you should just get the housing machined to fit the wheel. Or possibly you were sent the wrong wheel to begin with?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Does the billet wheel fit the back plate ? If so you should just get the housing machined to fit the wheel. Or possibly you were sent the wrong wheel to begin with?

Fits the backing plate fine... Its not the wrong wheel, fit a new 38R off the shelf once returned...

im thinking the same thing

It is the correct wheel for a 38R...

I am a bit smarter then to post a thread without checking that first...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
If thats the case I would just get the housing machined and call it a day.

Or a new housing from Garrett...

I'm more asking for curiosity's sake. Why would Garrett make this bastard, and then not tell anyone...

Not one vendor I have spoken do can make ends of it...

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Or a new housing from Garrett...

I'm more asking for curiosity's sake. Why would Garrett make this bastard, and then not tell anyone...

Not one vendor I have spoken do can make ends of it...

Not sure bud, never heard of such a conundrum before. I would say that getting is machined would be the fastest solution though.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Shot of the turbo tag...

Attachments

• 2013-02-08_11-09-58_78.jpg
    2013-02-08_11-09-58_78.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 2013-02-08_11-09-52_588.jpg
    2013-02-08_11-09-52_588.jpg
    874.4 KB · Views: 131

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Well by the initial looks of it my Garrett rep said the following after looking at the tag,

"Tag looks very counterfeit. Honeywell is not 2 words and the Garrett typeface looks wrong. I know of no changes to the turbo since they came out.

Also Garrett has never sold direct except to OE's"

He also said he will look into it a little further and get back to me. But to me I dont see honeywell as two words on the tag, maybe its the angle that made him think that.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Okay just for grins, this is a tag off of one that we have here at the shop. To me I don't see a difference.

On EDIT: looking at them side by side yours is missing the "S" at the end of the PN # and also is not riveted on like the ones we have here at the shop.

Attachments

• Garrett GTP38R No SN.JPG
    Garrett GTP38R No SN.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

under pressure

Reaction score
I blew up both tags side by side..... They do not look as they came from the same press, if they are from Honeywell/ Garrett
The space where the y meets the w in honeywell is different. Just small minor differences between them...
The garrett in CSI tag has a small seam just between the tops between E and T, the new tag does not, its smooth across from ETT.
The obvious fact one is rivited and CSI is glued or attached by some other means.... Strange i guess.

Weird though....

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Well by the initial looks of it my Garrett rep said the following after looking at the tag,

He also said he will look into it a little further and get back to me. But to me I dont see honeywell as two words on the tag, maybe its the angle that made him think that.

He is smoking crack...

It was drop shipped from Garrett to me, via Diesel Innovations

Latest posts

Members online