Ordering a custom truck

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
Hey guys, long story short i am looking into getting a new 2012 6.7 and have been unable to find any with the options i want in the immediate area (100 miles). I have never ordered a custom truck from the dealer before and was looking for a little insight into the process. Are you locked into buying the truck after you order it? Are you locked into a price once completing the order? If all goes to plan i'd like to pay for the truck in cash (I've been saving for quite some time, lol) and i would like to pay around 50k. What dealer incentives, if any, would be applicable to me? Thanks in advance fellas.:jammin:

Denver

Reaction score
You aren't locked to the truck until the money exchange has happened. We've ordered about 5 trucks. If your buying new it's the way to go. You get what you want and what you don't want. Only down side is you may have to wait 3 months but it's worth it. As far as ordering we've always built and priced them on the website them print out the build sheet and hand it to the sales manager. As far as price goes its up to the dealer. We usually pay about $3-4K under the build price and that includes all the fees.

TripleE44

Reaction score
One thing to think about when you pay cash is a lot of times there's a ford financing incentive. My last 2 trucks I have financed just to get that, then payed off 60 days later.

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
One thing to think about when you pay cash is a lot of times there's a ford financing incentive. My last 2 trucks I have financed just to get that, then payed off 60 days later.

That sounds like a good idea however i doubt ill qualify for a loan. Since my credit is almost nonexistent, i doubt that'll work. Thanks for the advice though.:thumbsup:

samoht517

Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea however i doubt ill qualify for a loan. Since my credit is almost nonexistent, i doubt that'll work. Thanks for the advice though.:thumbsup:

You might be able to get the loan if you drop half down. Underwriters like seeing the cost of the vehicle higher than what is being borrowed. It would then help your credit if you got it.

Last edited:

TripleE44

Reaction score

Just finance like 6000 or something. That's what I did with the first one I did this with and I had nothing for credit history. That was on a $26000 truck IIRC.

powersmokin64

Reaction score
I am a finance manager and i don't know how ford is but you will get a better deal if you finance ford's minimum amount to finance is probably 6-8k. A lot of times you will get an extra 500 bonus cash to finance with ford. So finance the minimum amount and do yourself a favor by paying at least 18 installments and you will have built your credit at the same time

quicksilver11

Reaction score

I got financed through ford with 0 credit. Never had a credit card or a loan before in my life. Ford financed me for 72 months at 9.7%. Next week I went to my bank and refinanced it for 3.6% for 60 months LOL

TurboM700

Reaction score
First thing dont tell them how you are paying for it in till you have meet on a price. Once you have meet on a price then tell them your paying cash. This way you dont have to deal with the fin. BS. Yes they will get pissy about the price if they dont like it walk away and find another dealer.

We did this when we bought my Wife 08 excape new. I was 25 at the time we went into the dealer know what we wanted to spend and we had cash with us. Yes cold hard Cash in 100's in her purse. We discussed prices test drove a few and came up with a price on the one we liked. I told the salesman sold will take it. He handed us a credit appilacation. I looked at him and said whats this we arent taking a loan our for this. He said you have to it part of the price. I said we have cash with us to pay for it. He said well if you want the priced I quoted you have to fin. it. I said maybe I wasnt clear the first time I have cash here right now to pay for this. Deal or no Deal? We drove off the car lot that day in her brand new Excape.

Moral of the story it can be down with cash just stick to your guns and be prepared to walk away.

Remeber people the only reason to have a credit score or as I like to call it I want to be in debt score is to be in debt.

Pay cash and be done with it. If you truly want to build credit get a CC put your gas on it and pay it off each month. I have a credit score of 0 and I set it at that. If I cant pay cash for it I dont buy it. Plan and simple.

neverkickn

Reaction score
First thing dont tell them how you are paying for it in till you have meet on a price. Once you have meet on a price then tell them your paying cash. This way you dont have to deal with the fin. BS. Yes they will get pissy about the price if they dont like it walk away and find another dealer.

We did this when we bought my Wife 08 excape new. I was 25 at the time we went into the dealer know what we wanted to spend and we had cash with us. Yes cold hard Cash in 100's in her purse. We discussed prices test drove a few and came up with a price on the one we liked. I told the salesman sold will take it. He handed us a credit appilacation. I looked at him and said whats this we arent taking a loan our for this. He said you have to it part of the price. I said we have cash with us to pay for it. He said well if you want the priced I quoted you have to fin. it. I said maybe I wasnt clear the first time I have cash here right now to pay for this. Deal or no Deal? We drove off the car lot that day in her brand new Excape.

Moral of the story it can be down with cash just stick to your guns and be prepared to walk away.

Remeber people the only reason to have a credit score or as I like to call it I want to be in debt score is to be in debt.

Pay cash and be done with it. If you truly want to build credit get a CC put your gas on it and pay it off each month. I have a credit score of 0 and I set it at that. If I cant pay cash for it I dont buy it. Plan and simple.

I understand your aversion to debt, but credit is a valuable tool that responsible people can use to their advantage.

TurboM700

Reaction score
I understand your aversion to debt, but credit is a valuable tool that responsible people can use to their advantage.

Not trying to screw up the OP thread.

Give me one thing you can do with credit that I can't do with cash.

Remember to take risk into the equation when thinking about having debt.

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score

No worries, this type of discussion could be helpful to all. I'm interested. I have no qualms with walking away, i fully expected this to take some time and leg work on my part so I'll take yall's advice and see what i can come up with.

Snake

Reaction score
When I ordered my 05, I sat down with the salesman and went over each option line by line. Two months later I had a truck with exactly the options I wanted. Well worth the wait.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Uhh.... Buy something you don't quite have enough cash for.

Then I dont buy it that simple.

If people would follow that simple rule then we as a country would be in nearly the mess we are in today.

But we have left the save up and wait for it and turned into I need it know country no matter what it takes.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Here's some fun number for you.

2012 truck that cost 50k

50k/72 months is roughly $700 dollars a month. No interest

50k/72 months at 3.5% interest is $780 dollars a month.

Now take that $80x72 months and your paying $5750 in interest.

Now lets take depreciation of vehicle that 6yr old truck will be worth 30k if your lucky in 6 yrs.

50k-30k is 20k. 20k/72 months is $277

Each month you have that vehicle you at the bare minium are throwing 350
(270+80) dollars a month out.

Ouchy all to drive a new truck

Now lets say you take that 80 dollars you pay in interest and invest that in a good growth stock mutal fund making %10 interest for 6 years. You just made 7,000 dollars.

You now only lost 14k on a new vehicle instead of 20k.

This is the reason I'm driving a 10 year old truck I would rather retire when I'm 45 with millions in the bank then have new trucks when Im 25.

To the OP sorry about the derail. If you have the cash to buy a new truck you are no dummy when it comes to money and you clearly have saved for it. Choose the one you want order and pay cash. Dont listen to all the people that are saying take loans out.

Mike

neverkickn

Reaction score
You sound like you are trying to say that anyone who carries any debt is unwise. If that is the case, I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong......By the way, I respect the fact that you do things the way you do, but I don't agree with the notion that responsibly using credit to make certain purchases is foolish.

Black_Lightning91

Reaction score
I agree with Mike that extra $500 is usless if it goes back in intrest. They want you to fin because when you do if anything happens afterwards to put you in a bind i.e. you lose job, illness or death in family, not only do they got your $$$ they now get to come get your truck and sell it to someone else. Also the banks can loan out up to $10 for every $1. To say they don't take full advantage or even sometimes abuse this power would be naive. So you bought a $56,000 truck and fin that amount. Now the bank goes in and buys that title for $5,600 actual cash investment and lets you pay thes rest while they hold the title over your head. Wait wth? I'm paying them ten times their investment plus intrest? Since I know someone will say well the dealership has to get their money too, Do you really think any dealership has the 5-6million to own the titles of all those vehicles on a lot. Nope bank owns them dealership pays a monthly amount just like you to keep it on their lot to sell. Like if you purchased a truck for $46,000 paid payments for two or three months and sold for $54,000 you made a couple grand. This is how this process works as far as I understand, because they won't tell you exactly how it works cause it how they make money lol. Like how they figure up your credit score is top secret.

edit I do not trust banks as they are an business thats sole source of income is charging you to use your money. You get a loan, you still have to pay that $XXXXX but now you also gotta pay this guy over here $XXX cause he let you buy it before you had the cash in hand. Say you keep your $50,000 savings in the bank well now they loan your money out x 10 and make ridiculous profit back. It's a business built around robbing you of your money or making a lot off your money through using it to invest. What happens when they invest too much of other peoples money. Housing market crash, great depression ect ect. Do you think the wealthy owners of the banks that caused these problems suffered any? No they were on vaction while the people they made the money off of starved or were homeless. So I refuse to do business with any bank. This is all my opinion as I can neither prove or disprove any of it cause they just won't tell you. To the OP I suggest you pay chash up front and skip all the BS involved with getting a lousy $500 or whatever they are offering to fin.

Goodluck and good day

Last edited:

KPSquared

Reaction score

Buying a home is a pretty hard accomplishment with cash. Bare bones starter homes are $300k here. . .it would take a lone time to get that kind of cash.

Members online

No members online now.