Pmr swap

2002FordPwr

Reaction score
If he pulled the rods, crank and pistons from the PMR motor will he have to do any work to the motor before he puts new forged rods in? Like hone it or anything?

Im in a similar situation.

I have 02 with PMR's.
Instead of rebuilding a complete motor, Can i purchase forded rods and new pistons and have them installed and balanced? Is this common?

What is the average cost of having this done?

Thanks guys

Denver

Reaction score
If he pulled the rods, crank and pistons from the PMR motor will he have to do any work to the motor before he puts new forged rods in? Like hone it or anything?

Im in a similar situation.

I have 02 with PMR's.
Instead of rebuilding a complete motor, Can i purchase forded rods and new pistons and have them installed and balanced? Is this common?

What is the average cost of having this done?

Thanks guys

If your going to disassemble the engine that much you should do it right and just rebuild the whole thing.

Arisley

Reaction score
There's enough of a weight difference...that we would nevvvvver swap forged onto a PMR crank...w/o re-balancing.

Machine shops have called us and said...'wtf' when trying to balance a 'pmr' (originally) crank with forged rods...

so the cranks were balanced...errr...should say weighted differently from the factory with the respective rod.

can you do it? have people done it?? sure...

Once again, I stand corrected. Makes sense.

So is the crank just a different crank when used with PMR vs forged?
Like a lot more counterbalance on the forged rod crank?

jwlandry

Reaction score
Just get it rebalanced. The machine shop isn't gonna charge you your left nut. It will be a small cost when you look at having to do a full rebuild if the unbalanced rotating assembly was to wipe the entire motor out.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Standing.back, looking at the whole picture, Id run the pmr motor and then build the.96 block while the pmr motor is doing its.thing. Literally have the other motor ready when the pmr unit.goes. If it does.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Standing.back, looking at the whole picture, Id run the pmr motor and then build the.96 block while the pmr motor is doing its.thing. Literally have the other motor ready when the pmr unit.goes. WHEN it does.

Fixed it... :pimp:

littleredstroker

Reaction score
That's all I wanted to know. What my options are not what you would do cause that's always go.na differ.
I feel rebuilding my motor would be a waste because its only got 167 k
I will just rebuild the other and have it ready to drop .....hopefully .
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

TyCorr

Reaction score
That's all I wanted to know. What my options are not what you would do cause that's always go.na differ.
I feel rebuilding my motor would be a waste because its only got 167 k
I will just rebuild the other and have it ready to drop .....hopefully .

Huh?

You dont.want anybodies opinion? Or you dont think anybody is gonna tell ya what ya wanna hear?

I think your answer is there, either way. To "just put" forged junk in your pmr motor would require teardown and balancing to the point you'd be crazy not to drop 800 bucks for a rebuild.kit, or a grand rather. Sorry. You can get all.that for a thousand. You'd have to buy studs and am valvetrain.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I want to know every option I have. Not people telling me what I " should" do. Went through this same thing at the nation. I wanted to put a 3116 cat in my highboy and everyone told me to put a 12 v instead. I don't get it. I ask a question to find out what I can do not what everyone else would do.

Chimera

Reaction score
A 3116 Cat in a highboy would be badass, my not be the HP monster of a CTD, but still the fact you'd have a Cat under the hood would be awesome in its own way and turn way more heads.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Which was what I thought. All I asked was about Bell housings / trannies and had a dozen people tell me I should.just put a 12 v in it. Kinda pissed me off a bit. I want to know the options I have. What would work and what wouldn't then.I'd make my own decision.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Which was what I thought. All I asked was about Bell housings / trannies and had a dozen people tell me I should.just put a 12 v in it. Kinda pissed me off a bit. I want to know the options I have. What would work and what wouldn't then.I'd make my own decision.

Well, you gotta remember, you were on the nation. lol

Latest posts

Members online