Post injector question

pilot4life

Reaction score
My map is showing 25lbs max which is the most they show as max pressure. I will check my ground tonight and see if that makes a difference

TARM

Reaction score
OK so:

No boost leaks

No drive side (exhaust) leaks.

It almost makes me wonder if there is a difference in the injectors versus what they are thought to be? It just seems like across the board you are getting to much fuel and getting too hot. I know its not very likley but it just seems odd. Like a tune is setup for say 100% but you actually have 200%:shrug: I mean you are hot and smokey and maybe if its too much fuel could you even be snuffing out the turbo down low. Again just throwing this out there.

Then again it could be something as simple as a wire disconnected etc. That is a down fall with these electronic engines. When you fight something of a gremlin it can at times leave you scratching your head.

I assume you have put AE or some other proper scanner on there and looked to see if maybe it could give you some clues? Run the SOP sort of tests contrib etc?

Rodslinger

Reaction score
I've done a contribution test,buzz and all the basics. All good. Icp is good, compression is good.turbo is good.

It totally seems like the fuel is snuffing out the turbo down on the low side and can not clean up on the top. Talked with Jim from Rosewood ( great customer care!) to see if there was anyway that I could have gotten a set of 200% nozzles. No way. So back to looking for answers.

pilot4life

Reaction score
I was talking with both Matt@Gearhead and Bob@dieselsite. Matt suggested reinstalling my stock 38R wheel so after much knuckle busting I did and my EGT's have dropped a solid 150 degrees across the board and boost is up. I am now running 725-800 degree and 4-5psi on the highway @70mph. Mind you installs both times were tested with 45psi to find leaks which did not exist. So for me right now I am working with both Matt and Bob to figure out why my truck is being finicky. They have both been very helpful trying to figure out whats going on. Great customer service from both of them! I hope to have a solution in a week or so maybe another wheel swap and some live tuning is in my future. I will have to buy Matt lunch.

pilot4life

Reaction score
OK so:

No boost leaks

No drive side (exhaust) leaks.
I mean you are hot and smokey and maybe if its too much fuel could you even be snuffing out the turbo down low. Again just throwing this out there.

I assume you have put AE or some other proper scanner on there and looked to see if maybe it could give you some clues? Run the SOP sort of tests contrib etc?

Weird thing for me Tarm is that my truck was not super smoky just really hot. There was always a little smoke but even with the 238/80's there is actually less smoke than with stock injectors and stock turbo. I don't have an AE to try out unfortunately but I have an old DashDac that I use to monitor HPOP pressure though an algorithm I wrote.

TARM

Reaction score
OK I guess its relative. When someone says it smoking under throttle it usually means a great deal more than stock.

Wow I wonder what is up with the wheel change. Sounds like the other wheel was moving the band around. This then sort of lines up with Matt's comments early on about it seeming as if you were under the turbo. I guess you were but from the wheel change it seems. Is it possible something was wrong with the wheel?

I honestly do not know anything about the wheel you were using or its specs.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I was talking with both Matt@Gearhead and Bob@dieselsite. Matt suggested reinstalling my stock 38R wheel so after much knuckle busting I did and my EGT's have dropped a solid 150 degrees across the board and boost is up. I am now running 725-800 degree and 4-5psi on the highway @70mph. Mind you installs both times were tested with 45psi to find leaks which did not exist. So for me right now I am working with both Matt and Bob to figure out why my truck is being finicky. They have both been very helpful trying to figure out whats going on. Great customer service from both of them! I hope to have a solution in a week or so maybe another wheel swap and some live tuning is in my future. I will have to buy Matt lunch.

im wondering if you didnt get the comp housing sealed well or the connection at the spider? I have yet to hear of a billet 38r wheel hinder performance! it made mine an animal! thats just weird...... what is the stamping on the billet wheel?

live life full throttle

pilot4life

Reaction score
im wondering if you didnt get the comp housing sealed well or the connection at the spider? I have yet to hear of a billet 38r wheel hinder performance! it made mine an animal! thats just weird...... what is the stamping on the billet wheel?

live life full throttle

No both times I pressurized the intake system to 45psi and soaped the entire system top to bottom turbo top to intercooler bottom looking for leaks/bubbles and nothing either time. I wanted to be sure I had no leaks and it happened to isolate the change to just the wheels.

Stamping on the nut or the bottom? I can't really read whats on the nut anymore from the sockets used to take it off and on. I think I see a W38 on the nut.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I put a billet wheel in mine too and it smoked more too until I tightened up the waste gate "turbo master" and its now much better but im still not sure about it. I might need to tighten it some more

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score

live life full throttle

I wouldnt say mine was worse but the 38r did alot from 10 psi to 40 with 175/80s. And with stock injectors there was no change. Its just quieter. With a larger injector it seems to be more midrangey to upper in the performance aspect. The stock wheel is consistently good all the way. But it's still good either way. Even with stock ads.

pilot4life

Reaction score
I put a billet wheel in mine too and it smoked more too until I tightened up the waste gate "turbo master" and its now much better but im still not sure about it. I might need to tighten it some more

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I cranked my turbo master all the way down tight and it was still hot running down the highway and low on boost. When you pegged the pedal it did ok but the stock 38R wheel is doing better for me. I have dropped 150 degrees and gained 2# of boost running empty down the highway with the stock wheel.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I cranked my turbo master all the way down tight and it was still hot running down the highway and low on boost. When you pegged the pedal it did ok but the stock 38R wheel is doing better for me. I have dropped 150 degrees and gained 2# of boost running empty down the highway with the stock wheel.

I did tighten mine a little more with no real change on the previous improvement. I was about the put the stock 38r wheel back in until I adjusted the waste gate, I wonder if I should still put it back... Mine drives good now, has boost again cruising down the highway
I cant say the billet wheel just helped a ton but I'm on stock injectors still too if it even matters
Maybe try to post up a video on the smoke while driving around, it shouldn't be running hot as others have said

Last edited:

pilot4life

Reaction score
I did tighten mine a little more with no real change on the previous improvement. I was about the put the stock 38r wheel back in until I adjusted the waste gate, I wonder if I should still put it back... Mine drives good now, has boost again cruising down the highway

I cant say the billet wheel just helped a ton but I'm on stock injectors still too if it even matters

I had my waste gate completely tightened down and I was running 800-1100 degrees and 2# of boost @65 with the WW2. Now that I have swapped back to the stock 38R wheel I am running 725-800 and 4# at 70 and have opened the waste gate up to maintain 35# in the hot tune as I can run it without fear of over temping. For me something was not happy with the WW2. The stock wheel seems to be breathing much better for me with the 238/80's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I had my waste gate completely tightened down and I was running 800-1100 degrees and 2# of boost @65 with the WW2. Now that I have swapped back to the stock 38R wheel I am running 725-800 and 4# at 70 and have opened the waste gate up to maintain 35# in the hot tune as I can run it without fear of over temping. For me something was not happy with the WW2. The stock wheel seems to be breathing much better for me with the 238/80's.

Dam.. I got similar results with the waste gate adjustment. Now that im spinning the turbo like it should be Im cruising around 4lbs of boost at 70mph.
Im still tempted to put the stock wheel back in as well

pilot4life

Reaction score
Doesn't take long to swap and for me it made the difference of just parking the truck and driving my wife's car. My issue was it ran so dang hot with the billet wheel. Try it and see.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

that still doesn't make sense to me. I still think you had a slight leak somewhere.

live life full throttle

Rodslinger

Reaction score
Mine runs about the same number with the stock 38r wheel. Maybe a touch hotter and I know I have zero leaks on both sides. I'm going to swap some tunes and see if it stays hot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.