Project: Reliability - Its 6.0 Delete Time

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm new at it too, but for now, I removed the plate and I control the fuel with the boost screw. I haven't done it in so long I'm a little rusty...

Matt_P

Reaction score
I'm new at it too, but for now, I removed the plate and I control the fuel with the boost screw. I haven't done it in so long I'm a little rusty...

Im a little nervous to remove the plate with all the fuel I have because I remember how smoky my black truck was with no plate LOL

I did just find an awesome write up though on modding the AFC for full rack travel along with all the other adjustments, should go well with the deeper rack plug I put in. I think I might mess with all that today.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
The rack plug wont do anything at all unless your AFC is modded for full travel. It will bind before it goes all the way. Take the afc off and work on it off the truck, you can check things easier that way. You can get a goos starting point by setting it shop air.

Garrett

encrypted with an enigma machine

TRUBBS

Reaction score
The rack plug wont do anything at all unless your AFC is modded for full travel. It will bind before it goes all the way. Take the afc off and work on it off the truck, you can check things easier that way. You can get a goos starting point by setting it shop air.

Garrett

was just about the say that to,
there is a few right ups over on comp d.

if i remeber right most people do these,

pull the afc all the way apart
shave a little off the end of the "foot" (the part the shaft slides into inside the afc housing, NOT the part that goes down into the pump)

flip the washers on the rubber diaphram and shave the lips off them (or replace them with fender washers of the same size)

then just spend time using regulated shop air hooked into the back of the afc to adjust the starwheel and preboost "smoke" screw (very back, under the little nipple cover that has 2 screws holding it on) to set it up to start moving at desired boost you want.

Matt_P

Reaction score

Garrett

was just about the say that to,
there is a few right ups over on comp d.

if i remeber right most people do these,

pull the afc all the way apart
shave a little off the end of the "foot" (the part the shaft slides into inside the afc housing, NOT the part that goes down into the pump)

flip the washers on the rubber diaphram and shave the lips off them (or replace them with fender washers of the same size)

then just spend time using regulated shop air hooked into the back of the afc to adjust the starwheel and preboost "smoke" screw (very back, under the little nipple cover that has 2 screws holding it on) to set it up to start moving at desired boost you want.

Awesome thanks guys for the help! Im gonna try and tear into it tomorrow

Matt_P

Reaction score
Just a quick update:

Got about 600 miles on the truck now, did the first oil change and re tightened all the bolts on the engine. I also pulled the vacuum pump/ powersteering pump off and resealed it becuase it was leaking pretty bad

Then today I started tuning the pump becuase I couldnt take it being so slow any more. I modded the AFC for full travel, adjusted the starwheel for full fuel at 40psi of boost and cut the fuel plate to a #100 and set it at full forward. Took it out for a test drive and made a huge difference. Pulls a whole lot harder now and went from hitting 35psi max to 50psi now, and it gets there quick. And itll do burnouts now LOL

The big downside is it gets hot quick, at 50 psi it has the 1600 degree pyro pegged and its wayyyy to smoky under no boost going from a dead stop or cruising so I think tomorrow Ill start by backing off the preboost screw and then maybe moving the fuel plate to the middle and possibly bump timing to 24*. Just needs more tuning but its making progress

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
congrats matt!even though i still think you shoulda done a 6.4, im glad to see the fruits of your labor paying off.

p.s. tell jason he still owes me apple pie.

Matt_P

Reaction score
congrats matt!even though i still think you shoulda done a 6.4, im glad to see the fruits of your labor paying off.

p.s. tell jason he still owes me apple pie.

Thanks Mikey I appreciate it! It definitely feels good to have it all coming together finally, gonna mess with tuning the pump a little more today. I know I kinda wish I would have done a 6.4 too becuase I do really miss my old one still, and after seeing what you and others are doing with them it really makes me miss it. I already decided though that if for some reason this truck ends up getting sold, Im definitely buying a king ranch or harley 6.4 and building that :D

And I will let him know that

You coming to Ennis?

Jason you still owe mikey apple pie LOL

Matt_P

Reaction score
I give it till next spring.

only that long huh? I gotta at least drive it for a longer amount of time than its sat in the shop. LOL

I don't know he has been driving this one for a week..... chit might be getting old already.

Well the slowness was getting old but now that Im getting the pump tuned in its a whole lot more fun to drive. Only thing is I need to start looking for a metal end tank 7.3 IC cause I dont see this plastic end tank one lasting long at 50psi

Matt_P

Reaction score
Updated pictures, Almost 1000 miles on it now:
DSC01247.jpg

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01246.jpg

DSC01249.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.