Project Wheels Up

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Very little. I kinda went to 8psi and left it there. I have no experience with messing with traction bars and tire pressures. I don't know to go higher or lower with PSI.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
i focus on the wear pattern on the tires to know to go up or down. if its too low it will wear on the out sides of the tires if its too much it will be in the center. I have mine at 9.6 but every set up is different

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yeah they're kinda starting to cup on the outsides. Maybe I better try 10psi.
after you warm the tires up at the strip have someone look at your tire marks. if its way dark in the center then its to mutch pressure. if its way darker on the outside then not enough pressure. you want the same shade accross the entire width of the tire you use..

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
after you warm the tires up at the strip have someone look at your tire marks. if its way dark in the center then its to mutch pressure. if its way darker on the outside then not enough pressure. you want the same shade accross the entire width of the tire you use..

Exactly right.
When I crew I always stand directly behind the truck/car while they launch. I will even have someone video just the tire with a good camera and watch in slow-mo later. You learn EVERYTHING on the launch you need to know about the suspension.

New radiator, smaller fan, and a few nitrous parts are on their way. I'll get the spoiler put on while I'm waiting on parts.

Thinking about just ditching the top bar and going to caltracs. Thoughts?
My suggestion in the 1st place.........:poke:

Last edited:

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
New radiator is in. It uses a full 3 gallons less than the stock configuration. Not half bad. I bet overall I saved about 30lbs with the new setup including hoses, degas bottle, liquid weight, and the weight of the radiator. Not bad at all. Looks darn good too!

While I was getting my new nitrous line installed we came across an interesting find. On of the intake plenum boots wasn't fully connected. You can see where the clamp was digging into the metal. It had been like that for a while. That should make my next run interesting. LOL

Also, I modified the back of it a bit. I turned the last 16" or so of the top deck into a wing of sorts. Looks good. I'm going to run it without the tailgate (no more parachute effect) and see if that adds a little down force to the back to help keep the truck straight from the 1/8 to 1/4.

Like I said, I installed a second small nitrous nozzle for spraying a little from the launch till it hits 2nd gear and the big line kicks in. I also got my bottle heater put on. The dadgum bottle gauge I got is wrong though so I'll have to get the right fitting for it.

No I haven't messed with the traction bars yet. I will next week. I also didn't have time to hook the trans brake up.

As of right now, she's ready to go tomorrow. We'll see if the storms can hold off till the evening. I hope so.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Good luck!

Advice I have for dialing in your rear. Don't do too much at once. If you do a little at a time you will know what helps and what doesn't. It takes longer but the end result is much better.

When we were dialing our 4 link in and working on tire pressure at the same time we would adjust the 4 link on pass then next pass adjust the tire pressure.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Well they called it. Sad thing is I won't be able to see how she does for a couple weeks. The good thing though is I'll be able to get it on corner scales and install the trans brake before I run it next.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Well they called it. Sad thing is I won't be able to see how she does for a couple weeks. The good thing though is I'll be able to get it on corner scales and install the trans brake before I run it next.

You race at the strip just off maize in Wichita?

neverkickn

Reaction score
My wife and son are visiting family just a few minuites down maize this weekend. I was supposed to go but had too much work.

I bet the little man would get a helluva kick outta watching the races. Maybe next time I will make it out with them.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Yeah I added a smaller shot of nitrous for the launch to 330' mark until my big shot kicks in. I also put a bit of a wing on the back and replaced the radiator with a much smaller one. All in all I'm pretty excited to try it out again. Gonna head to MoKan July 19.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Bringing this back from the dead. Friend is looking at 51 f6 and wants to put a 7.3 into it. What did you ever figure out for wiring? I tried to search for the page where it was talked about but had no luck. He wants bare minimum to run the motor.. manual trans, all that stuff. What did you figure out on your harness?

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Hey just a quick update since it's been a while. Last race season I broke the trans in half when I twisted the drives haft in 2 while staging. I built a bigger driveshaft and BTS is rebuilding the trans. I'm going to also build caltracs, put a hood on, and do a couple other odds and ends before I take it out again. It'll be mid to late summer probably before I do. I have a few other projects to finish first.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.