Prospective Trailer Buying Info

powerjoke4life

Reaction score
I have use my tractor trailer, it is a partial tilt for both my car and any other trucks I have.

My Suggestion is to be careful with a partial tilt, anything longer than a RCLB is too long for the tilt on my trailer and I need ramps. Kinda a pain after I spent all this money on a nice trailer.

Last edited:

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
I have a 2012 PJ. I have been happy with my PJ. It was a little more expensive but, it is built very well. It has 7K axles and I have it registered at 9990. I am thinking about trading it for a tilt deck 2' longer sometime soon. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• 170.jpg
    170.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87

Jomax

Reaction score
You can have it "de rated". But DOT is gonna look at the axle ratings and go off that

I'm pretty sure if your trailer is 14k rated and as long as your truck is 12k or under. Total is Under 26k so you don't need. Cdl.

Only reason you'd want to be under 10k is to save the 800$tax you have to pay on a new trailer that's 10k plus.. At least in Az

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
If your doing it for personal use, not being paid you can pull what ever trailer you want. For now in most all states. Few get kinda mad lol. Just be nice gets you away with more.

For flat bed bumper pulls I've always liked my custom tilt beds best.

Got more details on your trailer?

Krause

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if your trailer is 14k rated and as long as your truck is 12k or under. Total is Under 26k so you don't need. Cdl.

Only reason you'd want to be under 10k is to save the 800$tax you have to pay on a new trailer that's 10k plus.. At least in Az

This has actually been discussed before.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24414

I'm reasonably confident after talking to several people that unless your trailer has a bathroom, if you are attached to a 10000+ trailer you better have a CDL, regardless of any weight on it or anything...

Jomax

Reaction score
This has actually been discussed before.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24414

I'm reasonably confident after talking to several people that unless your trailer has a bathroom, if you are attached to a 10000+ trailer you better have a CDL, regardless of any weight on it or anything...

Talked with quite a few ADOT officers in AZ. They just want you to be under 26k

The reason everyone is getting tickets with 14k. Is most new 1tons are 12k plus GVWR.

I buy 3/4 tons for this reason. 10k GVWR, I can buy a 16k trailer and be fine.

Now if you buy a trailer for making money and are under 26k

And minimum you need DOT numbers and a medical card. Over 26k, Cdl is needed aswell.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
They can write all the tickets they want but they won't hold up in court. Law goes by GVWR and live weight. Not by GAWR. Just because someone is a cop doesn't mean they can rewrite the law.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Just stating experience. They went to court and it was upheld by the judge. 14k lb trailer listed under 10k. Judge didn't even reduce the fine.

The way it reads. At least in the dot books I've seen is over 10k lbs is class A