Quality or Crap aftermarket wheels

Tom S

Reaction score
So basically all.aftermarket wheels are crap? LOL

I can only say I have not been impressed with the reading I have done. I have found a new found appreciation for my stock Alcoa's. I sure do not remember reading all these reports of problems with them other then perhaps the clearcoat which can be refinished and they look like new.

How do you think the IONs would hold up under high HP? Can't beat the price...

Also, anyone got anything on polished pro comps?

I will try and do some research on those.

Tom, my truck has always had 285 tires on the stock Alcoa (crept for a few months when I tried out the Eagle Alloys). Dad nor I have ever had an issue with the tires wearing incorrectly.

If you don't want a 285 on your Alcoas look at the 255 85 16 tire. Tall as a 33 but a bit narrow to fit just right on a 7" rim

IMG_3655.jpg

Great photos for comparison. Is there a story behind that "tried Eagle Alloys"???

PsRumors

Reaction score
Great photos for comparison. Is there a story behind that "tried Eagle Alloys"???

The wheels themselves were fine, not a problem. The backspacing pushed them outside the wheel wells further than I liked. Every time I left the house gravel was thrown into the fender.

IF I were to ever go with another aftermarket wheel I would go with a wheel built to my specs so as to keep them tucked under the truck.

Tom S

Reaction score
PRO COMP

I already posted this but I notice there is a section in there on cracking so I reposted this since someone asked on procomps.

Greetings to all. I am new to all the aftermarket wheels/tires, lifts, suspensions, etc, so I have a question. I bought a 2008 F-250 SD, SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat about 7 mos ago. The previous owner had already put a 6" ProComp lift, ProComp suspension, ProComp wheels and tires. Within the past 6 weeks, my front two ProComp wheels have cracked! The first one cracked around 1 Oct. Got it replaced, and then around 15 Nov, the OTHER front wheel cracked! I think it's a little rediculous. Any suggestions out there for WHY or HOW this happened? I don't abuse the truck; it's driven on the highway some and mostly back and forth to work. Is this normal? Does it happen a lot? Anything I can do in the future, to prevent this from happening? Your suggestions, insight, thoughts or whatever, would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Lew

it's because they are cast aluminum vice forged
your truck is easily 6,000 lbs...and upwards of 8,000+ lbs depending on cab/bed hate to say this, but you will see this issue on damn near every single aftermarket rim out there. The cast aluminum just can't take the weight of these trucks. Especially if you are actually using the truck as designed. Only option is to run Factory rims, or grab some Forged Rims. Otherwise, you are looking at this issue popping up periodically

I put on a set of Black 7031 back in April then on Monday after driving to work the air pressure starting going down. Well one of the wheels were cracked and they have never been curb checked or abused. So I headed down to 4 wheel parts and we checked the others. They too started cracking in the same areas and Pro Comp couldn't get the wheels to 4 wheel part till December. So I settled for the Fuel Hostages as a replacments. Glad I hadn't towed my trailer!!

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy new wheels being my truck has 16.5s and id like more options on tires. Anyone heard anything about mb wheels that discount sells? Couple of the guys I pull with have them on there pulling trucks

Tom S

Reaction score

Homesteader

Reaction score
So is there a list of good after market wheels????. Might be looking into some wheels soon.

BigRed97

Reaction score
all i have to say is all your research and effort has made me decide on factory 20s instead of aftermarket.

thanks Tom for all the time you put into this!!! Its a great educational/informative thread!!

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Did i see somewhere that bmf is currently changing their process? Or was that old info.
I have had a set on order for awhile now!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

TyCorr

Reaction score
Did i see somewhere that bmf is currently changing their process? Or was that old info.
I have had a set on order for awhile now!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I was in under the impression that they have been on.backorder so as to supply replenish. Increased production is to keep them out of the backorder indefinitely list.

Zaairman

Reaction score
I have a set of 16x10 American Eaqle Alloy 058s on my Super Duty. My truck is at least the 3rd truck they have been on (guy I got them from, got them used). They are polished aluminum. The aluminum was dirty when I got it, but I polished them back 2.5 years ago, and other than the occasional waxing, haven't touched them since, and I run them in the winter. They had 285/75/16s on them when I got them, I ran my 285/75/16s on them for awhile, and then finally upgraded to 315/75/16s. Again, never had an issue and haven't noticed any pressure loss out of the ordinary. Oh, and I have acorn lug nuts on mine.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have a set of 16x10 American Eaqle Alloy 058s on my Super Duty. My truck is at least the 3rd truck they have been on (guy I got them from, got them used). They are polished aluminum. The aluminum was dirty when I got it, but I polished them back 2.5 years ago, and other than the occasional waxing, haven't touched them since, and I run them in the winter. They had 285/75/16s on them when I got them, I ran my 285/75/16s on them for awhile, and then finally upgraded to 315/75/16s. Again, never had an issue and haven't noticed any pressure loss out of the ordinary. Oh, and I have acorn lug nuts on mine.

I have em too but 12 wide. Got 250k miles on them. They are still good.but one is cracking.

Reaction score
My truck has had the same set of Eagle Alloys on it for around 7 years. I need to get off my a$$ and polish them, but they are in pretty good shape for their age. Nothing wrong with them except they need to be polished and the lug nuts have started to rust a little. This is the only pic of them I have available to me right now and they are dirty as he!! in that pic, so they don't look great. There are better wheels out there, but I'm really happy with how these have held up over the years considering the price.

WP_000173.jpg

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
all i have to say is all your research and effort has made me decide on factory 20s instead of aftermarket.

thanks Tom for all the time you put into this!!! Its a great educational/informative thread!!

I have also learned a lot from this thread. At the least I know that problems are possible with pretty much all of these lower cost wheels and to expect problems from chrome plated ones.

I am interested in those Eagle 058 rims so I am glad to see the comments on those.

Charles

Reaction score
The structural failures are almost entirely on wheels that are rather obviously weakly designed.

As the consumer, if you are concerned about structural rigidity, then don't buy a wheel who's center is 80% air...

Lets not be surprised when the wheel with a few small spokes of cast aluminum cracks under the weight of a bouncing 8000lb truck after a few thousand miles of torture.

If you want a strong wheel, then buy a nice 8 hole. Fwiw, factory alcoas crack just the same when they are designed in such a way. Our dually with the 5 spoke wheels has cracked two...

Again.... if you're worried about wheel strength, don't buy the one that makes you wonder how it could hold up the weight of your truck with all that missing material and with shapes that promote stress risers.

Get a nice 8 hole solid center wheel. With those, structural issues are the exception, not the rule.

Tom S

Reaction score
The structural failures are almost entirely on wheels that are rather obviously weakly designed.

As the consumer, if you are concerned about structural rigidity, then don't buy a wheel who's center is 80% air...

Lets not be surprised when the wheel with a few small spokes of cast aluminum cracks under the weight of a bouncing 8000lb truck after a few thousand miles of torture.

If you want a strong wheel, then buy a nice 8 hole. Fwiw, factory alcoas crack just the same when they are designed in such a way. Our dually with the 5 spoke wheels has cracked two...

Again.... if you're worried about wheel strength, don't buy the one that makes you wonder how it could hold up the weight of your truck with all that missing material and with shapes that promote stress risers.

Get a nice 8 hole solid center wheel. With those, structural issues are the exception, not the rule.

I am pretty much leaning that way for that reason even though I like the looks of some of the other wheels.

Latest posts

Members online