Regulated Return with fuel bowl

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im not trying to invalidate somebodies decision here but why would you want it? Its not designed for the pressure you'll be holding in your fuel system. Im betting you'll see the filter ribs twisted and displaced with 60+psi.

Is it a temporary thing, ie, until you can get a filter setup installed?

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
how is it not designed for the pressures he will be running? Please explain.

I ran my fuel system through the factory fuel bowl for 9 months with no issues what so ever. No drop in fuel pressure @ wot on a hot street tune and 250/100's. And that was using the factory steel lines feeding both heads from the fuel bowl as well.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im not saying it wont flow that fuel pressure. THe filter literally cant restrict the fuel flow. My friends truck was setup like this. He was running a sinister dsl rr and the fuel bowl. His filters were mangled when he'd go to change them. The ribs would have a bow in them or the center of the paper would be bulging. I wouldnt be worried about pressure absolutely but the filters ability to do its job when being blasted with fuel at 150% the pressure it was designed to work at. You're telling me that when you changed your filter it didnt look like a paper filter that someone hit with a high pressure water jet? Are you sure the bowl was seeing the same pressure?

I think that screw on type filters can handle the higher pressure while maintaining filtration efficiency.

Just my .02. Im sharing what Ive seen and also looking for answer as Im running larger fuel lines but havent installed the regulator or deleted my fuel bowl yet. Based on what we found with my buddies 7.3 I dont see me using the oem filtration once the regulator and fuel pump is swapped.

Im lisnin budro!

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
I have a fuel bowl on both my truck running any where from 65-75 psi never had one problem that you speak of and it feeds my fast 350s and never drops 1 psi...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well then what would have been causing his to be battered when he changed them. Or is it possible he had is fuel psi set too high?

Im at the point where Im getting ready to toss this bowl and locate some filters under the cab for ease, better filtration, and not having to deal with those lids.

So there is nothing to be gained by runnig a 12mic filter>2mic filter?

02POWERSTROKE7.3

Reaction score
I want to do this for now till I can come up with some extra money to do a complete fuel system. Also running a pmr motor and no plans of going past stage 1 injectors.

TyCorr

Reaction score
ive had a itp reg return with the fuel bowl since it came out, running 70psi. not once have i had a filter get distorted in any way shape or form.

Ill have to interrogate Kyle and see what the difference here is.

neverkickn

Reaction score
but the fuel bowl can be a major pain in the a$$ sometimes..

When it leaks, otherwise it has a heater and holds a perfectly functional filter.

Water seperation is another thing. Why the factory system is designed with a water seperator on the fuel bowl is beyond me. Under pressure the water is mixed with the fuel and run through the injectors. For stage ones, keep the bowl and add a water seperator on the suction side of the pump on the framerail like all the other cool kids.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well, yeah groomzy...I hate having to pull it anytime the hpop needs to come out. Getting everything sealed w/o breaking something is a task on an old truck. Its kinda in the way. Another reason I wanted to ditch it.

I run motorcraft filters. Kyle, the guy Im talking about, might be buying whatever is the cheapest. He will spend his whoel paycheck on something to make it look nice but wants to run 10w30 because its 'cheaper'. Its liek pulling teeth trying to get him to understand he needs to run good oil in a heui truck.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
There is definitely something wrong if he's seeing filter distortion like you describe. We have shipped SOOOOO many fuel system kits that keep the filter bowl in the last almost 10 years (under the ITP name, #i$i#t&r name and now the Driven Diesel name). There have been some minor design changes, but the basics have been the same across all of them and filter distortion like you describe is absolutely not normal! I suspect he is using cheap non-Motorcraft/Racor filters and that there is some kind of flow problem with them...or he is running his fuel filters for far far too many miles and allowing them to become too restrictive...or he is running some kind of exotic fuel (home brew bio, used ATF, used motor oil, etc).

Latest posts

Members online