Regulated Return with fuel bowl

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yeah I got panicked to leave my truck sit all winter so I hurriedly bought all the parts to rebuild mie from the local ford dealer. I wasted about $100, including new hard fuel line and a couple tools I needed just to get the truck runnig with a part Im gonna toss on the scrap heap.

Big Bore

Reaction score
My last truck, and my buddies truck, didnt have a working fuel heater for the last few winters which had record numbers of subzero days. I rarely plug my truck in as I'm off the grid. If it's going to be -10* or lower for a long period of time I'll plug it in for a couple hours. Winter fuel, and I use an additive year round. No problems. I never plug my truck in at 0* or above.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My last truck, and my buddies truck, didnt have a working fuel heater for the last few winters which had record numbers of subzero days. I rarely plug my truck in as I'm off the grid. If it's going to be -10* or lower for a long period of time I'll plug it in for a couple hours. Winter fuel, and I use an additive year round. No problems. I never plug my truck in at 0* or above.

SInce I went to 5w40 synthetic I dont even think about plugging it in. If it was subzero for a week straight Id juice it probably for 2 hours in the am before starting it.

I think the game has changed in this respect.

TARM

Reaction score
If you think about what a fuel bowl heater does and where the area most likely to freeze in the fuel system you can see its not worth much of anything and once you go to a RR its 100% worthless. The fully exposed fuel line holding only a few CC of fuel/inch under the truck is going to freeze and gel up long before a bowl up under and against hood insulation in a thicker unit and holding a significant larger volume of fuel. Further its sitting on the engine where it will have more heat immediately upon start up and even while off but with the block heater on both of which will do nothing for the fuel line fuel.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Does that mean I need to wrap the fuel line with a wrap that will heat up the fuel also? LOL

Big Bore

Reaction score
SInce I went to 5w40 synthetic I dont even think about plugging it in. If it was subzero for a week straight Id juice it probably for 2 hours in the am before starting it.

I think the game has changed in this respect.

I just had my 96's leaks fixed to the point I was going to put some high dollar oil in it. Unfortunately the truck chose that point to commit suicide. LOL

I'm thinking of switching to a synthetic this winter after I do the injector o-rings. Then again, I might not.

After going through winters of pouring ether into the motor and listening to all the myths about cold starting etc., I know this much, most cold weather hard start problems I've seen on mine and others trucks are injector o-rings.

I should start a list of common myths.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I heard putting synthetic in an old engine will make it leak like a sieve. All the little oil leaks will be leak worse.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Id say the synthetic helps you find the leaks!! The crud that accumulates around a leak using conventional oil builds up. When you use synthetic it tends to remove all the residue left by CO. Then it starts dribbling out those spots. So yes it does if you already have areas that are leaking. The difference is the CO will let these areas build up until the leak gets bad enough that they cant physically contain the leak and it'll LEAK REAL BAD. So you can run synthetic and find everything that needs to be repaired or use CO and when a seal fails completely you'll have oil SPRAYING out of that bad seal.

Arisley

Reaction score
Strictly Diesel has a great regulated return....

So does Home Depot and Oriellys for everything except the regulator. This thread is not about selling anyones product. It is about info on a fuel bowl or not.

Although I do agree, they do have a great kit.

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I heard putting synthetic in an old engine will make it leak like a sieve. All the little oil leaks will be leak worse.

I've heard this too but have yet to experience it. Switched over every junker I've owned the past 5 years with full synth and never looked back. Even run it in old worn out equipment and lawnmowers without issue.

Latest posts

Members online