Responsive Turbo/compounds Thoughts

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Bolt pattern is not symmetrical for the cover, or are you talking the entire compressor housing

I meant the cover, I just saw the bottom two bolts... Now I'm thinking the backing plate and cover lol. Just throwing ideas out at you here.

Allllllllllso... maybe some Dmax parts will help with the intake fitment issue. WOP plenums would be a great setup for this too BTW. Give you a little more room

TARM

Reaction score
It looks to me that the simplest way to do this is just move it forward about 1-2" angle it upward slightly and raise the mount 1-1.5" at the point of those lowest bolt holes.

907DAVE

Reaction score
After speaking with Bill about controlling that thing it seems as if using the wastegate solenoid wires would be the easier solution. Too much involved with the EBP to keep things simple. Only problem with this is the WG driver probably cannot handle the load that VGT solenoid will create.

Anyone want to make a driver box for this?

TARM

Reaction score
What would be the specs for it to handle the solenoid?

Could you use one designed to run a stepper motor?

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Ok guys......

I got a lil bit of time to mess around with the turbo night before last and got a few things figured out. Sorry it took me so long to get it all posted up, but I have been extremely busy trying to get all my work done before I leave for cali tonight. To give you an idea how busy, I took these pics at around 1 am LOL

As for the up-pipe flange issue, how about this.....

2012-06-20_23-41-20_175.jpg

I used a piece of 3/4 flat stock and it gave me the clearance I needed to set the turbo farther forward. This helps in 2 aspects. One it allows me to be able to slide the turbo forward and align the rear mounting hole over the plate. This is necessary as the turbo only has 3 mounting holes in the pedistal and this is the only one located in the rear of the turbo.

The second reason is now that I have slid the turbo forward, it allowed me to rotate the turbo so the inlet is more towards the driver side then straight forward. This helped in a few different ways. It will make it easier to get an intake piped in for the turbo and also gave me a better idea how I will have to set up my intake y to feed the intake plenums.

2012-06-20_23-45-43_530.jpg

2012-06-20_23-45-27_606.jpg

As you can see in the below picture, I dont believe I will have to modify the intake plenums but will not know for sure till I get a lil more fab time in. THIS IS JUST AND EXAMPLE!!

2012-06-20_23-46-24_656.jpg

And the last thing to address is the up-pipes and exhaust. By rotating the turbo it orients the exhaust outlet more towards the passenger side therefore making fitting a down pipe in easier (at least I hope it will LOL) As you can see in the picture below it also will give you an idea how the up-pipes will be fabbed up. Picture like a 6.0 but turned the other direction.

2012-06-20_23-44-46_977.jpg

It also uncovered the oil supply port that is for the turbo. This should allow me to set the oil feed and return up similar to that of a t-4 setup that we already use. That will be all the visuals I will be able to provide for the next week or so. I will not have any more hands on time with this until the 4th of July at the earliest. Interested in hearing everyones opinions.....

Last edited:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Can you get me a picture of the CHRA please? Maybe I will consult with HassleHoffman and see what can be done about rotating the compressor backing plate. If it's feasible, It would surely help

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
That is the first thing I plan to do when I get back it pull the cover and look into this aspect. Unfortunately I will not be near the turbo again till around the 4th to get the picture that you are looking for. Jason might be able to help you though as he has one of these turbos. I am hoping that it will be possible to clock it 180* and basically just pipe charged air the opposite direction that it runs stock.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Forgot to include.

With the turbo sitting as pictured in the final few pics, the top of the turbo is only 8 inches from the top of the head. So as long as the dimensions that moore gave me are correct, we should have plenty of space.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Vader, I'm a lot more optimistic now after seeing that, even though Daves comments after talking to Bill are a bit depressing.

Its not a problem, it will still be a pretty simple thing to setup.

907DAVE

Reaction score
It is, but there is some goofyness that comes along with it. Better to avoid that headache and keep things simple.

Big Bore

Reaction score
After looking and looking and deliberating, I just can't get myself to like the way that Duramax turbo sits on the engine and the goofy way the exhaust and intake would run and all the work required for it, and I kept thinking about the 6.0 turbo, so I started looking at how it's configured and IMO it's way better and less work. Sits a lot like a H2e or S series and according to some of my reading it's clockable. Elites Powermax HO and the TEC Black Lightning flow way more than a 38r and seems perfect for the job although expensive, theres also some much less expensive modded Garrets with batmowheel that flow pretty good. I think I'm going to direct my attention at this instead of the Duramax turbo. I also like the fact it is a Ford configuration, not a Chevy, which was giving me fits in the first place. LOL

Compare specs.

Stock late SD turbo
Compressor wheel
Exducer 80mm
Inducer 59.87mm (56trim).

Turbine wheel
76.20mm inducer and 67.73mm exducer (79 trim).

GT38r:
Compressor wheel
Inducer 65.86mm (56 trim).
Exducer 88mm

Turbine wheel
76.20mm inducer and 67.73mm exducer (79 trim).

Stock 6.0 GT3782V
Garrett GT3782V- 2003-2005 Ford 6.0L PSD
Compressor
Exducer: 81.55mm 3.21in
Inducer: 58.00m 2.28in
.58 A/R

Turbine
Inducer: 72.25mm 2.84in
Exducer: 66.45mm 2.62in
.9 A/R

PowerMax Garrett Turbo GT3788V

comp ind: 63.5
comp ex: 88

turbine ind:72.5
turbine ex: 66.5

Elite Powermax HO
Compressor Wheel Specs: Inducer 67.8mm/Exducer 94mm
Turbine Wheel Inducer 72.5/Exducer 70mm
Turbine Housing A/R 0.90

The Stage III/Black Lighting is a 77mm Tubine Wheel with a 66mm inducer/96mm exducer Compressor Wheel and flows 70lb/min at a 2.5 pressure ratio. Also, has a efficiency of 70%

This turbo also has upgrades to the bearings and how the vanes operate that are very interesting.

Last edited:

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
the switchblade turbo thread has me thinking......... would an actuator like what they use on the switchblades work for controlling a VGT? idk how they wire it up but it could be a possibility

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I know dave was working on the programming for it. I have the turbo sitting on a mock up engine in my shop but due to summer schedule and a few other things that have happened I have not had any more time to devote to making the mount and building up-pipes for it. I still plan to pursue it but it will be some time before I have time to dedicate just to this.

Latest posts

Members online