Reverse lights... what's everyone got?

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I run a set of hid reverse lights, they are stupid bright I tried getting a pic with my cell phone but the old flip phone doesn't do well at night lol I will see about getting better pics for the little bit more they cost they are crazy

Dreamer

Reaction score
Not to jack the thread, but how are you guys tinting your own taillights and cab lights?

I think I'll have to try out those Cree's since I can't see out of my mirrors at night without rollin down windows!

Mdub707

Reaction score
Just ordered some of the retro solutions cree bulbs, can't wait to try them out! Thanks everyone!

yeehaw

Reaction score
i kept trying to get a pic for ya Mike but my camara couldn't take a good one to really show it, they are super bright though probably light up a good 15-20 feet behind the truck on flat ground

El chupacabra

Reaction score
I thought about two lights on the back and another two like right behind the front wheel pointed out and back. I can't see **** at night with my tinted windows.

Break break break

Zmann

Reaction score
So tinted taillights don't let the reverse lighting out ,,
How are you guys keeping the brake lights from being dim also ?

Mdub707

Reaction score
So tinted taillights don't let the reverse lighting out ,,
How are you guys keeping the brake lights from being dim also ?

The brake lights don't really need to shine up the pavement behind me, just be visibly brighter than the running lights so someone knows I'm on the brakes. In that sense, the brake lights work just fine still, though I may upgrade those anyways to a set from retro as well.

I put the CREE's in this weekend. Definitely a noticeable improvement. With my stockers, I could see NO light output at all on the ground, with these I can. However, it's still not "great." It's a HUGE improvement, but I think I just tinted my tails too dark. They'd work for me, but there are a lot of times the gf needs to drive me home from somewhere (too many of these...:blitzed:) and I think she would still like more light in reverse. I may pick up a set of 08 tails, and tint those too, but tape off the reverse light sections.

Zmann

Reaction score
I see lots of folks go too dark and there brake-lights are dim

you probably know this? but the cree reverse bulb for 08 up is different so buy accordingly if your going to change lenses

Mdub707

Reaction score
I didn't know that actually, thanks for the heads up. MY brake lights are a little dimmer than factory, obviously. It doesn't stand out too much since the 3rd brake is done too. Haven't had any issues with anyone not being able to see my brakes from what I can tell. You can tell someone is hitting the brakes. However, I think if I put the retro red bulb setup in for the brakes, that should help tremendously with light out put, especially after seeing the reverse lights. What a difference over stock.

So the stock bulbs are the same for the 99-07 and the 08+ tails? But the crees are different? What's different about them?

Lowdown89

Reaction score
The brake lights don't really need to shine up the pavement behind me, just be visibly brighter than the running lights so someone knows I'm on the brakes. In that sense, the brake lights work just fine still, though I may upgrade those anyways to a set from retro as well.

I put the CREE's in this weekend. Definitely a noticeable improvement. With my stockers, I could see NO light output at all on the ground, with these I can. However, it's still not "great." It's a HUGE improvement, but I think I just tinted my tails too dark. They'd work for me, but there are a lot of times the gf needs to drive me home from somewhere (too many of these...:blitzed:) and I think she would still like more light in reverse. I may pick up a set of 08 tails, and tint those too, but tape off the reverse light sections.

As soon as I get my truck back i will post the pictures of my HIDs in the taillights, like I said with them on It lights up the neighbors house across the street they are bright! And for $75 they aren't to much more than what some of these other companies are selling

Zmann

Reaction score
I didn't know that actually, thanks for the heads up. MY brake lights are a little dimmer than factory, obviously. It doesn't stand out too much since the 3rd brake is done too. Haven't had any issues with anyone not being able to see my brakes from what I can tell. You can tell someone is hitting the brakes. However, I think if I put the retro red bulb setup in for the brakes, that should help tremendously with light out put, especially after seeing the reverse lights. What a difference over stock.

So the stock bulbs are the same for the 99-07 and the 08+ tails? But the crees are different? What's different about them?

The reverse bulbs are different for 08 up their application guide is sylvania and it's wrong

here is a thread with the #'s http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5981&highlight=cree+reverse+lights&page=10

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
pic is a little funny because the led's don't like their pic taken lol

I read my old thread I think it stated Pilot brand AKA Bully they had clear and smoked

attachment.php

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
I don't see any pic? Could you get a daytime pic with the lights off so I can kind of see what it looks like not lit up?

Zmann

Reaction score
the pic is big I wonder why you can't see it ?
I will get another

Attachments

• P3050638.JPG
    P3050638.JPG
    618.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that's the smoked version,, but is so they aren't dark ,,but you would probably change that lol
the wire is my satellite radio antenna