rpm issue

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Not sure but if the assemble was balanced maybe just pull the rods and have them checked at the machine shop and then put them back in, no? Or is there some damage that could be done that might not be found that would still have it be questionable?

I'm not sure if the testing is cheaper than balancing.

But, he's gotta pull the crank to remove the rods, so take the crank and the rods, including the replacements, and have them balanced, and bolt it back together. He can take his flexplate and harmonic balancer too, if he wants to dial it in.

The NDI testing we did for cracks/stressed steel on aircraft was fairly quick and fairly straightforward. But I doubt the equipment we used was cheap, so I doubt the places with the equipment provide the service cheap.

what fluid are you talking about? it blew 4 freeze plugs in the rear of the block...

........did you not blow both headgaskets?

Last edited:

PDT1081

Reaction score

But, he's gotta pull the crank to remove the rods, so take the crank and the rods, including the replacements, and have them balanced, and bolt it back together. He can take his flexplate and harmonic balancer too, if he wants to dial it in.

The NDI testing we did for cracks/stressed steel on aircraft was fairly quick and fairly straightforward. But I doubt the equipment we used was cheap, so I doubt the places with the equipment provide the service cheap.

Magnaflux is the most common way to check parts for cracks. Any machine shop worth doing business with has a machine.

And, FWIW, to properly balance an engine the rods, pistons, wrist pins, crank, flexplate/flywheel, and harmonic balancer needs to be balanced together. The rods, pistons, and wrist pins are all made to weigh the same, then the crank, flexplate, and harmonic balancer are balanced to whatever that weight is.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Magnaflux is the most common way to check parts for cracks. Any machine shop worth doing business with has a machine.

And, FWIW, to properly balance an engine the rods, pistons, wrist pins, crank, flexplate/flywheel, and harmonic balancer needs to be balanced together. The rods, pistons, and wrist pins are all made to weigh the same, then the crank, flexplate, and harmonic balancer are balanced to whatever that weight is.

Thanks...

Magnaflux is a manufacturer of magnetic particle inspection equipment. Magnetic particle inspection is an NDI, aka Non Destructive Inspection.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

I could have swore I replied to thks last night.. are you talking about excessive fuel?

live life full throttle

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
No, I'm talking about coolant.

You said you blew both head gaskets.

Did you not?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Good pull. You were right up there with the best of them. It looks like with alot less fuel as well.
Thanks man! I figure I am 150 to 200 hp shy of those guys and near 300hp shy of those dmaxes. that is the main reason I want to leave it as is othee then getting it running the way it used too.

live life full throttle

gman1

Reaction score
I wondered what happened to him. I used to watch him pull in the TTPA. After DPC he just kind of disappeared.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
bringing this back up!! dropped the dually off to Morgan@Midwest couple weeks ago and he has it tore down.. turns out that THE ***IN CAM GEAR IS NOT WELDED LIKE I WAS TOLD IT WAS GOING TO BE!! also has 2 bent rods i am assuming are from blowing the head gaskets..

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online