S364.5 on 7.3

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
Trust me, this i know. Lol I also have an 08' 6.4 and watch my drive pressures run crazy numbers at times. It is rather impressive that a measly 125 tune and stock fuel system can push 42-45 psi of boost. The drive pressure is what kills engines.
Just did o ringed heads and studs last year.
I just thought a wastegate might be easier on the turbo and the valvetrain in general.
It would be awesome if i could find someone to make an internal gate housing around .91 for the large wheel or 1.0 for the small wheel.
This is interesting but not enough info.
http://dieselautopower.com/s300-t3-turbine-housing-80-73-4-wastegated-he351-14cm-14cmt3he351wg73/

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
The next question is who makes the best t4 kit to make the change?
All the kits i see are around $1650..
Or $600 for just the up pipes and pedestal.
If its that much i can make my own for a lot less.

Swaan

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with running an external WG like you said, it's just more plumbing and kinda alot of work. Especially in an obs truck. I think if you spec out your turbo just right a guy can avoid the waste gate route. Unless of course nitrous is involved . Lol

That housing in that link you provided has a T3 flange and is kinda small for a 7.3. You really should stick with a T4 housing.
For your goals a 364.5sxe with the .91 housing should be the dogs balls right there . As long as your not going bigger then 238/80 inj

Swaan

Reaction score
The next question is who makes the best t4 kit to make the change?
All the kits i see are around $1650..
Or $600 for just the up pipes and pedestal.
If its that much i can make my own for a lot less.

I'm running irate diesels t4 kit on my truck. Seems fine.
The guys name is jake. Give him a call see what he's got to offer.

Swaan

Reaction score
Did anyone ever find out what the specs for the BASB are?

And which SXE turbo is an upgrade from the BASB?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

When I had my lasb I never measured the TW. But I would put $ on it being the 68/76 wheel. Reason I'm saying this is because I know the 74/80 spools like a dog.
We do know it's a 64 comp wheel, but not exaclly sure if it's the same one from the EFR line of turbos that the sxe has.

Having said all that I'm just not sure if going to a 364.5 sxe over your basb would be enough of an upgrade to be worth while.
It would suck to spend all that cash only to be not that much farther ahead performance wise.

Swaan

Reaction score
I think the next upgrade from a BASB would have to be a 366 sxe.
But you would be giving up a touch of bottom end torque for more top end. This is just my opinion of course as I've never tryed the new 366 sxe. It could just be as good as your basb and blow your mind also lol!!

Swaan

Reaction score
Speaking of bell turbos,
Have you seen the latest creation of there's? ?
It's called the FSSB. Looks to be the same as the basb .

Lasb,basb gqssb, hfsb ,FSSB like WTF!!!!

This bugs me to no end .

Just name your dam turbos like everyone else does and let us make our own decision on what we need!!.

Swaan

Reaction score
Yeah nice eh, what a joke.
All they say is its got a smaller housing then the hfsb. No specs at all.
It also says it has same compressor wheel as the hfsb. So it's a 66mm turbo then????? Cjfarm measured his and it was a 66.
So where the heck did the basb go then?? It was a 64mm
There not listing that on there Web any more.

Who wants to spend $1200 on a turbo with no specs , just letters of the alfabet that mean nothing.. .......

To top it off , if you do buy one of these alfabet turbos it makes it hard to upgrade down the road if you don't know what the hell you have to start with.............
You see my frustration. Lol

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
Thanks again Swaan and everyone else for the help and the great info. Im going to start planning some changes..
The dual disk will be in order as well to replace my current single.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
That was part of the reason I went with the sxe. I had I turbo I couldn't modify or change cuz no one knew what it was! The hfsb was to big for my injectors

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Why are you wanting to change?
Not wanting to change unless there is a significant increase in cfm flow with a SXE turbo. I was just curious what the difference, if any was.

I agree with Swaany on why Pius just can't post the turbo sizes instead of a bunch of letters.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
If I had the coin, I would field test stock, 38r, the 62mm and 64.5mm sxe turbos in a balls to the wall tow setup. Seriously, one of you guys running an sxe or even BASB for that matter, needs to swap in some 200% nozzle'd hybrids and tune them for around 350 whp.

What are the highest pw numbers that you guys are hitting when towing heavy? We need to start trying to datalog some of this stuff so it won't seem so subjective.

This is a great thread, btw. :thumbsup:

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I always tow in my 80 hp tow tune and I see 4.2 pw at 2800 psi with 57% duty cycle and wot.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I always tow in my 80 hp tow tune and I see 4.2 pw at 2800 psi with 57% duty cycle and wot.
Holy mega pw Batman! I think you are a prime candidate for 200% nozzle'd hybrids.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Do you have hybrids with 200% nozzles in a towing specific setup with experience?
Lol! It's funny that you posted this. I was about to edit my post to say that he should take my comments with a grain of salt. That being said, have you ever towed heavy with 200% nozzle'd hybrids and one of these sxe or Bell turbos?

*Edit*

Also, what is your opinion on CJ's pw numbers? They just seem a little extreme to me in a tow situation. Seems like switching to something that can squirt the same amount of fuel in a smaller window would be low hanging fruit, but what do I know. Lol! Maybe it's a good thing the event is stretched out so much so the cylinder pressures are kept in check.

Btw, regardless of your lack of rapport in the injector thread, I still plan on going with your injectors when the time comes. I would love to visit your shop when I am down visiting my parents in Lantana sometime. How far are you from there?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online