S364.5 on 7.3

psduser1

Reaction score
If I had the coin, I would field test stock, 38r, the 62mm and 64.5mm sxe turbos in a balls to the wall tow setup. Seriously, one of you guys running an sxe or even BASB for that matter, needs to swap in some 200% nozzle'd hybrids and tune them for around 350 whp.

What are the highest pw numbers that you guys are hitting when towing heavy? We need to start trying to datalog some of this stuff so it won't seem so subjective.

This is a great thread, btw. :thumbsup:

Not gonna datalog, but I'll have 12k on this week, ill see what kind of pw I'm at with 100%s. No big hills, but the floorboard is close, lol.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Not gonna datalog, but I'll have 12k on this week, ill see what kind of pw I'm at with 100%s. No big hills, but the floorboard is close, lol.
That would be great! Can't wait to see what your numbers are with a 38r.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
On the bench with 3000psi hpo and 65psi fuel we only need 2.7ms to get 175cc out of our 175/80's.

This has been relayed to all main stream tuners multiple times. Why you have that baffles me.

ja_cain

Reaction score
On the bench with 3000psi hpo and 65psi fuel we only need 2.7ms to get 175cc out of our 175/80's.

This has been relayed to all main stream tuners multiple times. Why you have that baffles me.
Exactly! Does anyone know the timing and pw relative to that in which the injectors trajectory is outside the bowl? In other words, what is the optimal window?

I have been reading some stuff on aluminum piston erosion in high pressure injection systems when high pw are used. Seams like the heui system might fall into this criteria especially when using a-code injectors. This can facilitate piston cracking if too much erosion occurs. I may be reading was too much into this, so take my comments with a grain of salt if it sounds retarded.

psduser1

Reaction score

Because a flow bench measures a mechanical device. A 7.3, on the other hand, has umpteen different tables, with modifiers, which can affect "actual" pw.
Hence the need for live or self tuning.

superpsd

Reaction score
To the original OP. Another turbo choice is the KC38R. The SD version is released and the E99/OBS unit is any day now. The turbos are ready they are just waiting on the intake elbows. They have tested the KC38R up to 250/100s with good results. It's a drop in for both platforms so you don't have to upgrade to an expensive T4 kit. I have read a few happy reviews so far from the SD guys. I am impatiently waiting for the OBS version to be released.

superpsd

Reaction score
Rebuildable. Drop in. 4" ported anti surge housing (said to be quieter) comes with billet wheels. I am sure The wheels are slightly different than a 38r. Through testing they have said they have been seeing lower back pressure numbers than a 38r would for a given setup. The OP never said what he has but I assume that his name is because he has a 99? If he has an E99 he has a drop in option now that will be happy with stage 2s.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
What's the diffrence between a kc38R and a normal 38R? ?
Supposedly, the KC is a dual bb turbo that is easier to rebuild. Not sure what the other differences are.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Rebuildable. Drop in. 4" ported anti surge housing (said to be quieter) comes with billet wheels. I am sure The wheels are slightly different than a 38r. Through testing they have said they have been seeing lower back pressure numbers than a 38r would for a given setup.
You going to try one out?

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Because a flow bench measures a mechanical device. A 7.3, on the other hand, has umpteen different tables, with modifiers, which can affect "actual" pw.
Hence the need for live or self tuning.

This is exactly what I was told as well. I never got into the details as I really dont knwo what im talking about when it comes to tuning.

Does anyone know what parts or sensors not working 100% could effect PW?

Example, if HPO is not meeting what the computer is demanding PW will be increased to compensate. which to me makes no since, in my head you would want to shorten PW to increase ICP. (Example given to me by a tuner.)

Reason Im asking is cause I still have issues when going above 3/4 throttle, my ICP drop's off to around 2200 psi. Anything under 3/4 and it holds 3200 psi all day long. I believe i still have a stock IPR and that was going to be my next thing to replace.

Sorry for the derail but this one of the first threads ive found where someone has confirmed there are multiple tables effecting PW.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I'm very interested in all this. Let's keep it going. So what your saying is with my current injectors 175/80's my pw is to long. And it fix the issue I need higher icp with shorter pw?

superpsd

Reaction score
There are many multipliers that have to do with EOT for one and having a ICP sensor that is in good condition is best. Don't want an errant signal. When the PW goes high and Pressure drops off look at the IPR duty cycle % to see how the hpop is keeping up.

rusty1161

Reaction score
To muddy the waters a bit more, I have 3.73's due to the 10.5" rear swap with modded hubs.

I am leaning toward the 363 out of concern for high EGT's towing up some of the grades we have heading up into the Sierra's. The bonus is buying a supercore 363 and reusing my .91 exhaust housing like you mentioned. James had the same thought.

Thanks, again.

Rusty

I finally made the time to install my 363SXE yesterday. I have 160/30 injectors, JW E4OD and 3.73 gears/33" tires. Even unloaded, I felt I was "under" my 366 with billet wheel. After 45 miles of driving empty, this is definitely a better match to my setup. It pulls harder and doesn't lug/smoke like it did before. Once I get more miles and some towing in, I will update my results.

This is a great thread. Thanks for all of the input.

Rusty

cjfarm111

Reaction score
That's great to hear! The more you drive it you more you will notice the difference. Then wait tell you tow with it. That turbo is hands down the best I have used. Bye bye bell turbos

Swaan

Reaction score
I finally made the time to install my 363SXE yesterday. I have 160/30 injectors, JW E4OD and 3.73 gears/33" tires. Even unloaded, I felt I was "under" my 366 with billet wheel. After 45 miles of driving empty, this is definitely a better match to my setup. It pulls harder and doesn't lug/smoke like it did before. Once I get more miles and some towing in, I will update my results.

This is a great thread. Thanks for all of the input.

Rusty

That right there sounds like a very very good tow setup..
Your going to really be impressed when you tow some decent weight, that's where that turbo is most impressive. You should have O egt issues.

Latest posts

Members online