SCT X3 just froze my computer!!!

F350Power

Reaction score
Hopefully we got rid of the children with the Tweeter Slang. Thanks Kyle for the explanation. My Give A Chit is worn out also.

I thank you all for your candid input. I have learned a very expensive lesson here.

By tomorrow I should have a new PCM installed. It will be a $2k mistake all said and done. No more tuners for me. Stock is good!

With that said, Eric has never even returned my phone calls from IDP. This is not "bashing", it is a simple fact. I have called there 3 times and been given the run around. I do not run my business like this, and do not expect it from others. Maybe I have set my expectations too high. Or maybe that is why my business has grown over the years and been successful. You be the judge of that.

I would welcome a call from Eric, but will not hold my breath! I am sure many of you re Friends/Business Assoiates of his, and that is great. Networking is the key to success! However, he has done absolutely nothing to remedy my problem.

I have no choice but to replace the PCM on a new truck with less than 800 miles on it. That is ridiculous!

To clear things up, I have not removed my DPF. My truck is completely stock. I was assured by IDP that this X3 Tuner would work great with no mods. Not the case guys!

Here's to better roads ahead!

F350Power

Reaction score
Oops. The children are chiming in again! This should be entertaining and informative. LOLAIM! Laugh out loud at immature morons! Hey I am catching on now!

Thanks to everyone else!

Jason

Reaction score
Lmao..kid...i like that, seekng as how i am married with 3 kids, the oldest being 10. Kid with an '02 ford, even better. I guess the other vehicles in my signature that are mine, and owned 100% out right dont matter, the old 7.3 is the butt of your jokes? Lmao. Snot nosed sounds more appropriate for you, as you are the one who keeps throwing out the $60,000 driveway ornament!!!!! Brand new 2012 king ranch sitting in my driveway i cant drive...but apparently you have a 6.0 but you cant drive the older vehicles, not prestigous enough. You took a risk when you modified it, knowing that there was a chance something could happen, it did..now that youre in a position of inconcenience, you want someone else to foot the bill, on your self-induced connundrum?

17BLKplat

Reaction score
06TWO50DIESEL
I owe you an apology! I vented my frustrations on you! NJ is a nice place.
I respect the fact that you own a 6.7 and have a vested interest in this thread. One way or another I should have my truck back this week. I thank you for your candid input.

Thanks, and I may have come off strong too.
Maybe when the dust settles there will be a tuning solution to meet your needs. For now- just get your truck back and get back to work LOL jk
Cheers

davey99ps

Reaction score
Did you ever think for maybe just a second that the reason nobody is in a hurry to call you back might have something to do with your attitude? The second you didn't get the responses you were after you start bashing ppl. Good luck on getting Eric or sct to pay for your junk. If your truck was that important, an you needed it that bad, then why are you modding it? Oh an before you try making fun of the truck in my Sig, I should prolly let you know there's a 6.7 in my driveway, an its bone stock cuz I need a reliable truck.

Mdub707

Reaction score
FWIW, I've used Eric for tuning quite a few times. Every time I've called the shop I've never actually got anyone on the phone. In my eyes it's part of the game when you're dealing with one of the most popular tune writers for the powerstroke diesel. They're busy for a reason though, because they're excellent at what they do. I have found that a simple email to Eric has been the quickest and easiest way to get a hold of him. I've never waited more than 24 hours for a tune or even an adjustment on a tune from Eric.

F350Power

Reaction score
Well, the kids are almost gone. Lol.

SCT tried to get new tuner to talk to my PCM yesterday via taking over my laptop wirelessly. The new tuner did nothing. Recovery files did nothing.

Dealer removed PCM and TCM and I overnighted them back to SCT along with both tuners. They claim that they can fix the problem at their shop and I should be able to put truck back together Thursday. May be some light at the end of the tunnel. I will keep you all posted!

Mdub707

Reaction score
So are we thinking that this might just be a faulty PCM and not anything actually wrong the SCT, or are we certain the SCT did this? Interested to see what SCT can do about it... Hopefully driving your truck again soon!

F350Power

Reaction score
It was without doubt caused by SCT Tuner, but they are saying that it "corrupted" the tuner and dealer says it "fried" the tuner. Personally, I think SCT is correct. I just hope like hell they can "un-corrupt" it now. Since my PCM and TCM are in their hands now, I am at their mercy. Not too sure I like that feeling, but not much choice. Supposed to have everything back tomorrow (Friday). Will keep you posted.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Do not try SCT X3 on 2012 Ford SD. I have been frozen solid and unable to return to stock now for 5 days. They promised new tuner last Friday! Nothing yet!

My only option is to have it towed and re-flashed to stock by a dealer.

Spent 4hours on phone with morons in tech support. Nothing worked! 4hours late for biz trip. Had to borrow truck from buddy. What a mess.

No more SCT for me. Should have gone H&S to begin with.

I now have a $60k Driveway Ornament! Thanks you pr!cks!
There's another thread on this topic running on another forum
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...mini-maxx-truck-not-starting.html#post3040658
According to the guys at H&S, the computer failure is not related to which tuner you are using, but to the factory computer itself.
H&S claims that these are sometimes failing on their first flash. This is happening with factory flashes too. According to H&S, Ford is aware of this defect in their computers.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. In my experience Ford has a long way to go on quality control. I'm deeply disappointed in my my $62,500 truck and the customer service Ford is supplying.
I'm renaming my truck: 'Defective, In the Shop'

Last edited:

Chris

Reaction score
The ecm crashing is not an aftermarket issue, its an issue w/ the factory hardware or software, as we have had stock ecms crash while flashing w/ the IDS. We have also had one crash while a mini maxx was flashing. H&S is working on a change for their programming to make the crash less likely and im sure SCT and ford will as well.

The ecm we had that died we put the customer in a rental truck and it took us 3 days to get a new ecm from Ford. $1100 or so was the total cost iirc for the ecm which H&S helped us out with, and we covered the down time of the truck and the rental. It was not our fault or anyones fault the ECM crashed but we tried to make it as right as we could for the customer. That being said, from now on we warn every customer of every 6.7 we program, whether its aftermarket programming or even Ford programming via the IDS of the possibility of a crash. Its a flaw w/ the ford ecm and has absolutely nothing to do with H&S, SCT, for anyone else.

To the OP, hope your issue gets resolved, it is very frustrating i know.

F350Power

Reaction score
Well, Day 15 and the SCT Nightmare continues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sent PCM and TCM to SCT as requested Tuesday. It was Next Day Air. They promised that they could recover both computers and would have back in my hands on Thursday. Of course, that did not happen, But I did receive a package this morning from UPS.

Now for the fun part! NO PCM in box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No warning ahead of time. I was assured that everything was on its way. Dealer did not order new PCM because it was a non-refundable item. Now I have no PCM and no idea of when it will be drop shipped by Ford! All this after I told them ahead of time that I had to leave for Colorado at 6am tomorrow morning. I am Fricked!!!!!!!!!

PCM was non-recoverable (FRIED) just as Ford Dealer suggested a week ago. SCT just refused to believe it.

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I am certainly no expert on PCM's. However, let me make a few points absolutely clear:

1) This is not my 1st Rodeo with a Tuner but undoubtedly, my WORST experience ever!
2) The re-flash was done according to instructions. All electronic devices in the truck were shut down as I have always done in the past.
3) When I attempted to go from IDP Street Tune to Stock, I received Error Code 1014 and 1016 (I remember those codes very well as they are forever burned in my brain). All the idiot lights in the truck began flashing and I knew I was in trouble! Obviously, I was correct. My PCM is fried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4) I would not be upset right now (despite the 15 plus days of down time and the complete incompetency of SCT) if someone from SCT had been straight up with me ahead of time and advised that the PCM was non-recocerable and would not be making the trip back to Ohio. Imagine my face when I opened the box and found no PCM inside! I think you all get the picture!

This may in fact be nothing but a failure on the part of the PCM by Ford, but I do not think so. Everything was absolutely perfect until I tried to re-flash to Stock! At that very moment my PCM imploded!

I love this forum and appreciate the fact that we can share information that is mutually beneficial to all members. With that said, there are a number of members who always feel the need to side with Sponsors/Vendors of this forum. I assure you that is a dangerous thing! While I appreciate the loyalty to these sponsors, if we ever lose the ability to exchange information about them in an honest and candid manner, the forum becomes of no use to anyone for anything!

Not all Sponsor are wrong, not all End Users are wrong.

I am worn out guys! I have to push back a trip to Colorado that I have had scheduled for 3 months because of the incompetency of SCT. There is no excuse for that!

***PLEASE take my advice here and do not get yourself into this situation with a brand new 6.7L!!!! Stay away from SCT!!!!!

Last edited:

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Well, Day 15 and the SCT Nightmare continues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sent PCM and TCM to SCT as requested Tuesday. It was Next Day Air. They promised that they could recover both computers and would have back in my hands on Thursday. Of course, that did not happen, But I did receive a package this morning from UPS.

Now for the fun part! NO PCM in box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No warning ahead of time. I was assured that everything was on its way. Dealer did not order new PCM because it was a non-refundable item. Now I have no PCM and no idea of when it will be drop shipped by Ford! All this after I told them ahead of time that I had to leave for Colorado at 6am tomorrow morning. I am Fricked!!!!!!!!!

PCM was non-recoverable (FRIED) just as Ford Dealer suggested a week ago. SCT just refused to believe it.

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I am certainly no expert on PCM's. However, let me make a few points absolutely clear:

1) This is not my 1st Rodeo with a Tuner but undoubtedly, my WORST experience ever!
2) The re-flash was done according to instructions. All electronic devices in the truck were shut down as I have always done in the past.
3) When I attempted to go from IDP Street Tune to Stock, I received Error Code 1014 and 1016 (I remember those codes very well as they are forever burned in my brain). All the idiot lights in the truck began flashing and I knew I was in trouble! Obviously, I was correct. My PCM is fried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4) I would not be upset right now (despite the 15 plus days of down time and the complete incompetency of SCT) if someone from SCT had been straight up with me ahead of time and advised that the PCM was non-recocerable and would not be making the trip back to Ohio. Imagine my face when I opened the box and found no PCM inside! I think you all get the picture!

This may in fact be nothing but a failure on the part of the PCM by Ford, but I do not think so. Everything was absolutely perfect until I tried to re-flash to Stock! At that very moment my PCM imploded!

I love this forum and appreciate the fact that we can share information that is mutually beneficial to all members. With that said, there are a number of members who always feel the need to side with Sponsors/Vendors of this forum. I assure you that is a dangerous thing! While I appreciate the loyalty to these sponsors, if we ever lose the ability to exchange information about them in an honest and candid manner, the forum becomes of no use to anyone for anything!

Not all Sponsor are wrong, not all End Users are wrong.

I am worn out guys! I have to push back a trip to Colorado that I have had scheduled for 3 months because of the incompetency of SCT. There is no excuse for that!

***PLEASE take my advice here and do not get yourself into this situation with a brand new 6.7L!!!! Stay away from SCT!!!!!

U bitch like an unhappy wife..... The end

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

F350Power

Reaction score
...and then there are those members who obviously are incapable of baffling anyone with their brilliance, so they just befuddle with their bull****. Probably need to get a life!

The End!

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
How many gpm does the lpop flow through the oil cooler on a 6.0 mr. brilliance?

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
I understand your frustrations and it would suck to be in your situation, but I think that you are missing the point that others are trying to make. It is a KNOWN problem with the new PCMs locking up. When Ford had the new 400/800 flash, I know my dealership had some issues with a few trucks locking up, and that is a FORD flash, not SCT, not H&S, and definitely not IDP. I am willing to bet that SCT wanted your PCM so they could find the cause and try to keep this from happening in the future.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Maybe I should get my buddy to make a thread like this on duramax forum since he was tuning his truck with a PPE and his locked up last night

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.