Snow plow rebuild

moose99psd

Reaction score
stick welder eh, looks like you have some undercut at the toes... might slow down a bit and let it fill. looks good though, liking the inginuity.

genuineford

Reaction score
stick welder eh, looks like you have some undercut at the toes... might slow down a bit and let it fill. looks good though, liking the inginuity.

Actually it us a rig welder. Some bigger filler metal would help out. For where that stuff is going to be it won't hurt it tone undercut a bit. If I really was worried about it I would make another pass over it.

genuineford

Reaction score
Well it seems like forever since I have gotten a chance to work on this. I have been waiting for the blade to get back from the fab shop and he has been busy. I have been busy doing other stuff also. But I got it back and the new moldboard is made. So I busted out the sand blaster and 3 50# bags of sand later I have the moldboard frame cleaned up. The rust was really thick on it but I cut through most of it and what I didn't get the self etching primer will take care of. Here are a few pictures. Hopefully I will get some time to finish up the rest of it and get it painted before it gets cold.

old96stroker

Reaction score
I don't have any pictures of the truck but I had a 87 blazer with 3/4 ton axles under it and I didn't want to touch the bumper, at all. The old boy that did mine up bolted-welded some brackets to the front frame horn, bolted more than anything just put afew smaller welds on there to keep it from budging. Anyways he welded a piece of I believe half inch plate on each side and gusseted it across, between the frames and welded two reciever hitch inserts to them, they hung just below the black lower bumper valance and looked great.
He took the plow frame and cut off the frame-bumper mount and reinforced the back bone of it and at the bottom he welded on the square tubing and gusseted it, I used that truck for five years and never had a single problem with it, other than the damn cables freezing up every once in a while, always keep some aerokroil in the truck for that!
Anyways, I didn't build it and iam not knocking your build it looks stout, just a idea if you get the picture, plus I could unhook it in about ten minutes, just had to remember to mark the cables so I didn't have to readjust all the time. Good luck with it, looks great

genuineford

Reaction score
Got time today to get the moldboard welded back on the frame. I can say I am glad that it did not have as many welds on it when I took it off as it has now. I have some trim work to do and clean up work on the edges but for the most part it turned out good. I am hoping tomorrow to get the last of the fab work done so I can get it blasted and primed.

genuineford

Reaction score
Well I had more time to work on this finally. I didn't get it painted but I was able to get all the fab work done on it so it is ready to be sand blasted now. I got the pivot point bored out and a bushing made for it. I got the A frame redone also I had to cut the cross piece off and weld a new one on, along with that I made new mounts that the pins go through that will drop the A frame down a bit more to keep it more level. I also got all the holes drilled for the cutting edge and there is a piece of angle iron that goes across the top to hold a deflector. I welded the nuts on the inside of the C channel for the mount and cleaned up some welds that I had to cut to get it to fit on my truck. I had to trim a bit of the new moldboard off too it was a bit too tall. Here are the pictures of what I have done.

Larger hole bored in the plow mount frame.

Hole bored in the A frame for the pivot.

Bushing and bolt for the pivot.

Holes drilled for the cutting edge.

New A frame cross piece and mounts.

Underside of the mount. I had to cut some pieces to fit in the gap.

The truck mount and the A frame put together for a test fit.

Nut welded in.

Adapter pieces made for the side markers.

genuineford

Reaction score
Finally got time to work on it again. I got it all sand blasted and primed today. I am hoping to get one of the colors painted tomorrow.