So after 6 months and less than 3k miles my 38r went bad

sagres

Reaction score
Last December i bought and had my turbo upgraded by Twisted Diesel. Went too a 38r with no other upgrades other than a tuner. Well 4k miles later i get on the highway and all of a sudden lots of white smoke with oil come out of my exhaust, so right away. I think my turbo. Well the engine seems fine, but I get a report from Twisted telling me that my turbo might not be warrantied (thru Garrett)do to there is chips in the blades. Im pretty sure nothing went thru my turbo as the filter is clean and the motor has no debri. Im confused as to what to do. Im sending it to a friend at forcedinductions.com(Jose) to get a better look at whats going on with it for a second opinion. I ve dealt with them before and feel comfortable with there opinion. Looking at how much oil came out and smoke im pretty sure it was the seals. I have not seen the turbo yet, but will be having a look soon. Also has anyone dealt with Garrett. Are they wait times outrageous for warranty. I was told it would be month and a half if we sent it to them and there was no garuntee they would warranty my turbo. Is anyone familar with there warranties. Any help would be appreciated.

TARM

Reaction score
what wheel was it that had chips? If it was the turbine wheel there are lots of things that could have caused it.

The way I see it either it has chips in the fins or it doesn't. You might make a mistake of not seeing a chip but I can not see how you could see one that is not there. Now how the fin got chipped is another story all together. Where the chips any marks on the housing etc can all help somewhat figure out what happened. If something hit the fins that certainly could be enough I would think to grenade the CHRA.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Last December i bought and had my turbo upgraded by Twisted Diesel. Went too a 38r with no other upgrades other than a tuner. Well 4k miles later i get on the highway and all of a sudden lots of white smoke with oil come out of my exhaust, so right away. I think my turbo. Well the engine seems fine, but I get a report from Twisted telling me that my turbo might not be warrantied (thru Garrett)do to there is chips in the blades. Im pretty sure nothing went thru my turbo as the filter is clean and the motor has no debri. Im confused as to what to do. Im sending it to a friend at forcedinductions.com(Jose) to get a better look at whats going on with it for a second opinion. I ve dealt with them before and feel comfortable with there opinion. Looking at how much oil came out and smoke im pretty sure it was the seals. I have not seen the turbo yet, but will be having a look soon. Also has anyone dealt with Garrett. Are they wait times outrageous for warranty. I was told it would be month and a half if we sent it to them and there was no garuntee they would warranty my turbo. Is anyone familar with there warranties. Any help would be appreciated.

What does that mean?

TyCorr

Reaction score
:whs:

If someone else took your charger apart and 'upgraded' it I'd want to know if they didnt assemble it incorrectly and pass the buck on to you when it blew.

Do you have documentation showing the mileage when you put the turbo in?

MINK

Reaction score
:whs:

If someone else took your charger apart and 'upgraded' it I'd want to know if they didnt assemble it incorrectly and pass the buck on to you when it blew.

Do you have documentation showing the mileage when you put the turbo in?

You're misunderstanding it or I'm misunderstanding you, They did not "upgrade" his stocker they replaced his stocker with a 38r. Then the 38r whent haywire...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Last December i bought and had my turbo upgraded by Twisted Diesel.

You must know something that I dont Mink! I read this and thought he had a 38r upgraded by them.

If he meant that he upgraded from a gtp38 to gt38r then I didnt get that strictly from his post. In fact either of us has to be guessing as neither of us were there.

Ill go on and assume your assumption was the correct one.

02BigD

Reaction score
They did not "upgrade" his stocker they replaced his stocker with a 38r. Then the 38r whent haywire...

That's the way I read it.

The question that sticks out in my mind, was the turbo inspected by the owner after purchase, pre installation? Kinda hard to mess up a 38r install....

Tom S

Reaction score
Welcome I am glad you accepted my invitation to join us from TDS.

On the question of the turbo being upgraded he meant to say he had it installed by them per my previous conversation.

I would say the next step if you can it to get us a photo of the turbo wheel and some of these guys will be able to help you from there.

Twisted Excursion

Reaction score
We simply put the 38r on it straight from the box no upgrades to the charger. Took charger off because customer was complaining about oil leak out the exhaust. Then that is when we realized something had been through the charger compressor wheel is chewed pretty good.

Buddy
Twisted Diesel

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
We simply put the 38r on it straight from the box no upgrades to the charger. Took charger off because customer was complaining about oil leak out the exhaust. Then that is when we realized something had been through the charger compressor wheel is chewed pretty good.

Buddy
Twisted Diesel

What kind of CCV system is on the truck?

sagres

Reaction score
Do we have any pics buddy. I am trying to figure out what went thru the charger to chew it up so bad. i know my experience is more with gas turboed motors but usually when this happens in a gas motor it sucks it into the motor. I never inspected the turbo before it went on and in general Twisted D has been good to me, but its hard for me to take a 1500 dollar hit on a bone stock truck sitting down. I barely drove it since december. I just want to know what happened. 1 minute I'm told it is warrantied and the next im told its not. Jose sold me a pt-88 for my car and promised a more quick turn around on the turbo since he can repair in house. Figuring you guys dont want my truck sitting around for a month and half waiting for Garrett to decide. From the email I just received from garrett"Hello Christopher,

Warranty turnaround depends on a few variables including shipping time,
whether the unit can be verified by the distributor or needs to be
inspected by Honeywell directly, and if there are inspections in line
before you. I can't give you a definite time, but I can tell you that
we work as quickly as we can while still assuring an accurate diagnosis.

The limited one year warranty covers defects in parts and workmanship.
Therefore, if there is a fundamental problem with the design, material
or original assembly of the turbo, it will be covered. However, we do
not cover a host of other issues such as improper installation, foreign
object damage, oil starvation, etc.

Regards,

Garrett Gearhead"

With that being said I need to know what hit the impeller. Since its looking more like I ma getting the short end of the stick. How hell did I get debri in the system is another question? Again I dont want to keep putting turbos in every 3k. The reason I went with you guys was I have heard nothing but good things and 2nd reason of me buying the turbo thru u guys and paying a lil more was warranty for a yr. Now that is nul and void I need to find the reason. If you could investigate it would be nice to know why I am out of warranty. Thank you buddy

TARM

Reaction score
First by the damage to the wheel is everyone fairly confident something entered the system (how ever it got there) and hit the wheel? My question is of course becasue damage to the fins can happen from contact with the housing when the CHRA bearings go. A corner piece of a fin broken off by housing contact then hits the other fins is kind of what I was envisioning as a possibility.

Pictures are a must though otherwise its all just speculation.

But if the boots were still all connected as was the intake tube and filters it would be quite the feat for something to enter the intake track and end up in the comp wheel. I have heard of and seen boots, filters, intake tubes blown off the turbo inlet from high boost with a fast throttle let off where the pressure backs up thru the inlet and blows them off. I believe that is what happened to Vanderchevy and ate his comp wheel up on a track run.

Also as David asked about the CCV and oil etc. Thinking about that : Was it connected up to the intake track or vented to atmosphere? If it was vented to atmosphere is there any port for it anywhere on the turbo intake piping anywhere? That could be a opening for something to enter the intake

I feel bad for you as I would be pissed if I had a 1300 turbo bit it and then found out it would not be covered when you do not think you did anything wrong. Grrrrr

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I think David may have been alluding to cc oil pitting the wheel if the ccv was left stock.

Or what Tarm pointed out about a hole being possibly left open.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
I think David may have been alluding to cc oil pitting the wheel if the ccv was left stock.

Or what Tarm pointed out about a hole being possibly left open.

actually I was interested in the root cause of the turbo being removed, BB turbos do not like restricted crank cases and I have seen too many botched CCV modifications cause those symptoms, as for the nicks in the blades well that is from something hitting them.
Originally Posted by Twisted Excursion

Buddy
Twisted Diesel

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
oil leak out the exhaust. Then that is when we realized something had been through the charger compressor wheel is chewed pretty good.

Just trying to get a better understanding of potential failure modes here...

If/when something went thru the compressor wheel, how does that affect the oil seal(s)?? Did the oil leak out on compressor-side or exhaust-side? Was there shaft play?

The way that warranty is written and the tone from Garrett makes me think they don't fix too many broken turbo's... If the OP had continued using this turbo until complete bearing failure, it seems like it would be difficult to determine how the carnage began. :shrug:

BB turbos do not like restricted crank cases

What does this do??

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
For example, this turbo was still spooling fast and making 25+psi just a few minutes before this happened...
7ba7c91d.jpg

The compressor wheel looked fine, for 260k miles. It did have a little pitting when I bought truck, but still didn't have any end play as of a couple months before this failure (100k after I bought it and installed AIS)...

Sorry for the hijack, but just curious how much you can tell about the root cause of a failure from carnage like this. More importantly, how can we inspect a turbo to prevent having a roadside mid-trip failure like I did?

Twisted Excursion

Reaction score
Hey guys i am waiting on turbo to show back up then i will take pictures and post them up. For the CCV it is stock not modified. As soon as i get turbo back there will be pictures.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think it would be the out of balance issue that would eat the seals and bearings if the turbo had foreign object damage.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I just glued a cap onto the 3/4" fitting on my intake tract when I ditched that recirc system. How can that be botched David Lott? People just leave the hole open?

I thought drops of oil getting sucked through the charger could be bad for the wheel, personally.

Latest posts

Members online