So after 6 months and less than 3k miles my 38r went bad

sagres

Reaction score
Well from the amount of oil coming out of my escursion there was no way for me to drive long on it. I just hope for a cheap resolution.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I just glued a cap onto the 3/4" fitting on my intake tract when I ditched that recirc system. How can that be botched David Lott? People just leave the hole open?

I thought drops of oil getting sucked through the charger could be bad for the wheel, personally.

Some people don't put a large enough hose - or have a kink in the hose during install, or etc.... this causes high crank case pressure because the pressure can not escape.

Layson

Reaction score
Some people don't put a large enough hose - or have a kink in the hose during install, or etc.... this causes high crank case pressure because the pressure can not escape.

Exactly! Which blows the seals out of the turbo.... Heard of it several times.

sagres

Reaction score
Well sorry to say if that was the case. No ones admitting it. They are saying it is a foreign object in the turbo if anything. They have no idea what happened is what buddy has told me, so this really sux.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Well sorry to say if that was the case. No ones admitting it. They are saying it is a foreign object in the turbo if anything. They have no idea what happened is what buddy has told me, so this really sux.

Without pics we are just guessing anyway.

I would pull the IC and see if you can get any parts to fall out of it. Chances are that even if it went through the turbo - it didn't make it through the IC.

Twisted Excursion

Reaction score
we are def sratching are head on how this happened,it has good oil pressure motor wise and no restriction to the turbo.the drain is not cloged or blocked in any way.the turbo was brand new out of the box and pre oiled before install.the intake had no leaks when it left and was still intact just as it was when it arrived back at the shop.we are in noway trying to pass blame on to the customer as I feel he had nothing to do with the problem.The compressor wheel how ever is where garrett would have a problem because the inducer of the wheel is so nicked up it gives them an out by saying somthing went through it,but is very possible that the wheel contact is what caused the peace that nicked it up,im with you there.I think our problem is we can not prove it and garrett gets an out for warranty.we will post pics for sure.

TyCorr

Reaction score

I see how this would be a problem! I just didnt think anybody who knew enough to do that mod wouldnt know better than the snafu listed above? I guess people dont always think when assembling a did-it-yourself kit.

Charles

Reaction score
I had a 3 year old 38R fall over on a table one time with no turbine housing on it, and it bent one of the turbine blades...

I straightened it with needle nosed pliers and rocked out for another couple years until a big ass wad of eppiflex unwound from one of my up-pipes and went through the turbine, wedging into the housing and taking me a solid half hour to pry out even with the housing taken off the charger on the workbench.

Jonathan at Swamps clipped the bent sections of that turbine wheel off and AGAIN ran that turbo for ANOTHER year or so before it finally gave up the ghost...

So if the compressor wheel (very lightweight in the grand scheme) is "nicked up" a little, to the point of someone wondering whether or not it was due to housing contact, then I would guess that probably didn't imbalance the charger enough to take out the turbine seal.

TARM

Reaction score
You might want to try a different site to cure that excited finger issue. LOL

golfer

Reaction score
What is eppiflex?

something like this...

img-371-1-large.jpg

TARM

Reaction score
Man if that came unraveled and wrapped up around in the turbine wheel int eh housing I bet that would be a royal PITA to get all out of there. Its not like you can just easily clip it or unwind it if the housing can not come off.

Lets see some pics of this turbo chewed up comp wheel and comp housing.

Was there any damage to wheel where it could have contacted the housing? Any nicks or marks on the housing itself? If there is then Garrett can try and not cover it but if the shaft is loose then that points to why there is that kind of damage and they are stuck. Unless they can show that there is damage that could not have come from housing contact.

97-stroker

Reaction score
Looks alittle worse then my turbo did when the bearing went out in it. The wheel hit the housing and tore it up pretty bad. You could hear it hitting the housing till the truck was shut off.

hope they warranty that for you man...i feel ya on the 1300...thats alot of money to be out.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
What the hell ate the leading edges of that wheel? The outside of the wheel looks like it has a bad bearing, but I can't really see any marks on the housing - but what has me doing a little head scratching is the leading edges of the wheel...... I would totally say something went through it - EXCEPT the splitter blades look good.....

MINK

Reaction score
I dont see any marks on the housing from the pics..is there any Buddy? Thats crazy, you have a couple seriously F'd up fins

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yeah the leading edge is almost identical in mark and damage . It looks like something was lodged in there and made contact with the damaged area. I dont know how that would happen? Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.