So after 6 months and less than 3k miles my 38r went bad

Charles

Reaction score
Yeeeeeeeaaah. Not really what I would call nicks and chips, lol. That wheel inhaled something for sure. And that kind of damage, as well as the shock of passing something that did that could certainly take out a CHRA.

Garrett will rightfully deny IMO. I'd be looking inside my ductwork from filter to turbo to find the missing part of something. Then I'd be pulling the cooler and dumping out whatever it was. Should be peacefully resting in the driver's side endtank.

Trashing chargers definitely sucks. And I feel for you. But I wouldn't expect Garrett to give me another one either. I've trashed a couple the CHRA's for various reasons, all my fault. And I'm pretty sure I've got another going out now on either the 38R or the 55.

In my case I think I've got a lube oil circuit issue of late. For the truck in question, something went through that charger. Fo sho...

sagres

Reaction score
I dont want this happening again. I guess need to give buddy a call to see if we can look in the IC.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I would do what was suggested, sagres. Look in the intake tract(the tube coming out of the charger to the airbox) and see if something came loose. Im wondering if a screw got sucked through there!

You'd have to pull the intercooler 'to look' in it. If you have time you may want to pull some of this stuff yourself to mitigate the cost. You cant REALLY hurt much disassembling as long as you know how to put it back together.

Tom S

Reaction score
Looks like you have an oil leak from how dirty the outside of that got in just 3k miles.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
My guess is one of the clips that holds your air filter on... Assuming you have a stock intake.

I've seen that exact damage on a E99 turbo from an intake clip. EXACTLY.

TARM

Reaction score
I think he means one that was made in 2006 i.e. '06 not the newest version if there is a difference. But there is no doubt something went thru the intake at some point after it was first installed till you had the issue. Problem is the blowing smoke i.e. CHRA letting go, could have happened well after the wheel took the hit.

sagres

Reaction score
would you guys suggest replacing the intercooler? while I have the truck down. Is it possible it has debri in it? Where is the cheapest place to get a 6.0 IC?

4duggan

Reaction score
Yeeeeeeeaaah. Not really what I would call nicks and chips, lol. That wheel inhaled something for sure. And that kind of damage, as well as the shock of passing something that did that could certainly take out a CHRA.

Garrett will rightfully deny IMO. I'd be looking inside my ductwork from filter to turbo to find the missing part of something. Then I'd be pulling the cooler and dumping out whatever it was. Should be peacefully resting in the driver's side endtank.
Trashing chargers definitely sucks. And I feel for you. But I wouldn't expect Garrett to give me another one either. I've trashed a couple the CHRA's for various reasons, all my fault. And I'm pretty sure I've got another going out now on either the 38R or the 55.

In my case I think I've got a lube oil circuit issue of late. For the truck in question, something went through that charger. Fo sho...

Think there is one or two listed on ebay now, dont think you should need to replace it though.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Think there is one or two listed on ebay now, dont think you should need to replace it though.

he didnt say anything about replacing the charge air cooler....

I couldnt really say if he needs to or not. Given the damage he's sustained Id personally replace all that can hold debris. Not worth chunkin a block over some blown charger debris...That gets real expensive.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.