So it begins

97powerstroke

Reaction score
My dad has flexilight fans on his truck and has no issue's with it over heating. It don't make anywhere near the power your truck will be making but he tows with it and it doesn't get babied either. The temperature will go up a little til you get to the top hill but it drops quickly once your foot is out of the throttle. Curious to see how they work on a truck making more power and new radiator that isn't clogged with bugs and dirt.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
right on. i know the stock cooling system is very efficient but i think that is just because of the fan. not sure if the issues with a electric fan where due to the radiator being the wrong size.. maybe that new radiator will play a better role with the electric fan! just might be the key!!! fyi, im thinking purely tow vehicle as i know it should be just fine for you.. but you might just have to find something heavy to drag around and up and down to see... bet alradco and flexilight sales jump if so..

live life full throttle

I know it's not a comparison but I'm running a Mishimoto rad with a E-fan clutch. Running around empty, the fan clutch doesn't even lock up.

I was towing 5k on a 85* day. I was driving slow, going up and down hills and the fan clutch engaged. Once the fan engaged, the temps came right down.

I towed the GN (22k) on the highway last month, the fan clutch didn't even engage. E-fan clutch engaged when I was backing the GN up in its spot. The outside temp was in the high 80s.

It really depends on the conditions whether the electric fans will work.

Tony, you could swing by my place and hook up to my GN, I'm right off 287 in Bergen County.

Billy T.
[email protected]

TyCorr

Reaction score
Stock fan pushes 10k cfm, these move 6500 cfm. Well see how they work

Fairly large difference but Ive never heard a 7.3 fan running long enough to think the cooling system is ever laboring. My truck is heavy and i always towed heavy and underpowered, it had to be in the 90s and humid to hear the fan kick on occasionally. If you tow over 45mph it'll never come on.

thuglike

Reaction score
Fairly large difference but Ive never heard a 7.3 fan running long enough to think the cooling system is ever laboring. My truck is heavy and i always towed heavy and underpowered, it had to be in the 90s and humid to hear the fan kick on occasionally. If you tow over 45mph it'll never come on.

This!!!!!!!!

isootmypants

Reaction score
Well she runs. But got questions. Anyone with experience with gen3. First start ups. Idled smooth at first, then when lightly hit throttle it sounds like a miss and rev a little more, it smooths out some and then I blip the throttle and it revs wayyy past where I let off. It revved to like 3500 and I shut it down. Few start ups it had like a fuel knock? Idle oil pressure is 700-1100, fuel pressure is 64 right now. I know about the hpo air bubbles need to be driven to get out but I haven't had start ups like this before.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well she runs. But got questions. Anyone with experience with gen3. First start ups. Idled smooth at first, then when lightly hit throttle it sounds like a miss and rev a little more, it smooths out some and then I blip the throttle and it revs wayyy past where I let off. It revved to like 3500 and I shut it down. Few start ups it had like a fuel knock? Idle oil pressure is 700-1100, fuel pressure is 64 right now. I know about the hpo air bubbles need to be driven to get out but I haven't had start ups like this before.
she'll hold.. run her!!!

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is it tuned for the gen 3? If not that may be the issue. And ive only heard but idle is going to be choppy.

isootmypants

Reaction score
It's tuned for gen3. New tunes from Dave Armstrong. I understand it will be choppy, I had choppy idle my last tunes. It's slight chop, more of a misfire.

isootmypants

Reaction score
More worried bout the free revving. As in why it keeps goin after I let off. I thought I read a thread about a guys truck doin that

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
I have a tune that does that, rev it up and let off and it goes up a couple hundred more rpm and hangs there for a couple seconds. Other tunes it does not do that in, and that is with a gen3. I also had a the motor out of a different truck without a gen3, and at times it would free rev like it was gonna runaway when I would start it. Shut the key off and it died immediately. Restart it and it would be normal. Did that maybe half a dozen times till I had a few miles on and never did it after, I'm guessing that was air being thru everything.

isootmypants

Reaction score
I tried the daily tune, it revved up 800 rpm, went to drag tune, it went up 1500-2000 rpm more. When I get home from work I'll go for a drive

gnxtc2

Reaction score

02BigD

Reaction score
This ^^^^^

Idle the motor to confirm no leaks and then go put some moderate boost in it. You need to seat the rings ASAP.

^^^Agreed. ICP sensor and IPR for the funky RPM's. I had a sticking IPR one time, that did a very similar thing. Especially with a fresh build, wouldn't take much to get a little piece of dirt or metal and make that IPR unhappy.

Latest posts

Members online