stage IIs vs. Hybrids

jimmyp

Reaction score
Im looking to do some work on my 00 this spring and I have been basically thinking stage IIs 38r and full fuel system.

I was talking to a guy today that recomended hybrids.

This truck is a tow pig, farm truck, daily driver, That sees 16k on a fairly regular basis.

Any thoughts?

Jim

Tncoalroller88

Reaction score
Go with the hybrids they use less oil and u will get more power than with stage 2s. Get u a set of 238/80s and a 38r and ur looking at a great tow rig with about 400 horse or maybe a little more.

jimmyp

Reaction score
I dont really have an HP goal. Im not worried about the trans.... zf6. I hadnt really though about studs and springs and push rods were also recomended to me today.

Jim

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I would go with a smaller hybrid and keep the 80% nozzle, a 200/80. That injector uses less oil volume than the stock ones you have now, so a pump upgrade wont be necessary but more oil volume is always a plus especially on a tow rig. There is a total difference in drivability going from big oil to maintaning only 1800psi :/ The 238s would be too much for a tow truck, no need for 500, even 400 hp on a rig like that. It will be a very noticable bump in power too

Gearhead

Reaction score
The 238/80 is my favorite injector. It will support over 500 hp and work on a tow pig as well. I run them on my daily driver and couldn't be happier.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The 238/80 is my favorite injector. It will support over 500 hp and work on a tow pig as well. I run them on my daily driver and couldn't be happier.

Matt, can I put 80over nozzles on my 275s and still get the.same.results WITH YOUR TUNING?

Gearhead

Reaction score
I don't care if the injectors are 900cc if you put a 80% nozzle on them they will run the same with the way I tune. By my calcs you will only ever get about 220cc out of an 80% nozzle with the way I call for fuel on my hottest tune.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Best fun injector, for a work truck that you dont want to work on all the damn time...

160/100...

Some of these guys love to spend your money, yet your the one stuck working on your truck all the damn time.

160/100, a 38R and drive the piss out of your 350-380hp work truck.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Im looking to do some work on my 00 this spring and I have been basically thinking stage IIs 38r and full fuel system.

I was talking to a guy today that recomended hybrids.

This truck is a tow pig, farm truck, daily driver, That sees 16k on a fairly regular basis.

Any thoughts?

Jim

Back to your question..get stage 1's..you won't tow heavy with any more power than what a stage 1 and a 38r can make you. Less support mods are needed.

Gearhead

Reaction score
A stage 1 isn't going to get you enough power bump to warrant the expense of doing the job unless you are replacing bad injectors.

The hybrids can safely make more power up top compared to the stage 2. The hybrid is just as safe as the stage 2 and can help flatten the power curve and carry the power up into the higher rpms. Honestly, the stage 2 is starting to show lack of injection pressure even with an 80% nozzle already, why make it worse with a 100%.

psduser1

Reaction score
Anything over 10k is outside your " rated " payload. I have a similar setup as you, and routinely pull over that (14-18k), and the biggest problem you'll see is tires, axle,and trans, usually in that order. Rpms will help you, and hybrids, from what Everyone ive talked to, vendors, builders, tuners, so forth, are better than the 2s in this regard. Less oil to get the same fuel/pw, more flexible to tune, and, also, somewhat more coin. Just because you can make 450-500 horse, doesnt mean you'll use it for towing. That where I'm headed, my stockers are about done. Sometimes a bit more power is usefull, even dragging something behind you.

Just make sure you can trust your gauges, and USE them.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
A stage 1 or 2 will have a higher injection pressure than a Hybrid
7-1 vrs 5-1 ratio...even if the HPOP only puts out 2500psi with stage 2's your injection pressure is still higher than a Hybrid with 3000psi..17500psi vrs 15000

Will a hybrid make more HP..sure flowing more fuel

But doesn't make any difference towing heavy you can't use it..IC can't reject the heat, oiling and cooling system can't reject the heat.

If you want big HP and still tow heavy....fine detune back to what a stage 1 and a 38r will get you and you can tow heavy.

The OP just wants a heavy tow rig and you guys just push a more expensive bigger option.

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Best fun injector, for a work truck that you dont want to work on all the damn time...

160/100...

Some of these guys love to spend your money, yet your the one stuck working on your truck all the damn time.

160/100, a 38R and drive the piss out of your 350-380hp work truck.

The guy i got my 160/100 injectors from put down 404hp on the dyno with a van turbo. He had stock fuel, beans tunes and he built his trans himself. Im still running stock turbo on my truck with the injectors and it made a more than noticable difference (not sure what kinda hp im actually making though)

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The guy i got my 160/100 injectors from put down 404hp on the dyno with a van turbo. He had stock fuel, beans tunes and he built his trans himself. Im still running stock turbo on my truck with the injectors and it made a more than noticable difference (not sure what kinda hp im actually making though)

Yup...

I cant understand (other then its not there money or truck) why people constantly recommend a 238 hybrid over a 160/100.

You can run it on a stock everything and the possibility of hurting something else is so small...

Maybe I am just getting old, but I am damn sure tired of fixing crap all the time.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
I don't know who it was said you can't make enough power to tow and daily drive with, but yer nuts....

I've GOT Stage 1's and this thing runs like a raped ape.....tie 21,000 lbs on behind your rig, and I'll wait for ya at the top of the Siskyou's.... it runs good enough that I can pass cars going up the big hill...

Stage 1's are PLENTY big enough...the big problem isn't fuel, or the lack of it...the problem is heat....and if any of you children towed anything heavy, out here where there's some hills, you'd know that.

Skip

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had stg IIs with an 80 over nozzle.and.with a 100 over nozzle. My injectors were 175 cc. My truck has.a 38r and fuel upgrades(pump and bigger lines, regulated). I personally felt the 80% nozzle performed.better all the way around. The 100 was not better. Smokier. I think the nozzle.was too big. I ran it about 8 or 9k like that, with the majority of the time running the 80 over nozzles. It wasnt worth the effort in my opinion. Obviously or I wouldnt be going bigger and installing a new fuel.system.

It wasnt enough. I tow with a 12 duramax everyday and my goal is to do everything better than it does.

Latest posts

Members online