trans problems, again...

bluedge8

Reaction score
One other thing, have a mod move this thread over to the transmission section, as we have a great help who reads that section, he used to be a Ford trans engineer, for the 4r100, he may have some great input on whats going on.

onebad7.3

Reaction score
That code is just from having the batteries unhooked, I have no clue on the trans problem

brian89

Reaction score
Yea i cleared it last night and it didn't come back, but i was thinkin control issue, truck has been acting weird on with the electronics lately, just little things here and there, could be non related but in case anybody knows anything this could help, what exactly controls the transmission tho? Is it the PCM or does it have its own module/computer?

brian89

Reaction score
I just used the valve bodies from my bought tranny and rebuild the accumulator body out of my old one, but i drove it maybe 3 miles and it went from decent driving to hardly at all, and voltage went from 2.5 to 1.2 in that short time

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
and it still wants to be in 3rd gear when i put it in drive, the exact same problem i had when i pulled a whole different tranny out of it 3 weeks ago, why is it doing this?
I think the transmission is not getting electrical power. That's how it acts when the solenoids are not powered.

brian89

Reaction score
and like i said before with the trans voltage starting high and ending low, it used to stay steady at 1.5v, anything to do with it?

brian89

Reaction score
Last night i got in and tried to move the truck, put it in drive and nothing happened at all, same as first and second, trans volts were 2.6, checked connections at TCC soleniod and range finder, all looked ok, turn key on with TCC unplugged and it jumped to 4.5 volt, back down once plugged back in

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
and like i said before with the trans voltage starting high and ending low, it used to stay steady at 1.5v, anything to do with it?
I have no idea what you are looking at to get 1.5v. Nothing on the trans should be at 1.5v.

Last night i got in and tried to move the truck, put it in drive and nothing happened at all, same as first and second,
That cannot be an electrical problem. The ONLY way there is no movement is something mechanical. It could be too low on fluid, loose/missing internal filter, failed seals, failed torque converter, or a failed pump. It could also have grenaded the planetary gears. There are a whole host of things that could cause this, and only low fluid or a bad filter could be fixed without removing the transmission.

trans volts were 2.6, checked connections at TCC soleniod and range finder, all looked ok, turn key on with TCC unplugged and it jumped to 4.5 volt, back down once plugged back in
Looking at an electrical connection is usually as useful as changing the winter air in your tires for summer air. It makes you feel like you did something, but you didn't. If you are not checking the wiring from the PCM to the sensor with a meter you don't know if the circuits are good or not. On the other hand, this problem isn't electrical, so it doesn't matter if the electronics are working or not. The trans needs to be fixed.

brian89

Reaction score
ok, so before it was showing signs of electrical issue, but now with it not moving its not electrical? i kinda understand what your saying but why would the same problem be present in 2 different transmissions? the planetary gears were fine and they were the 6 gear assembly, i replaced the in-pan filter and put 4 1/2 gallons of fluid in, when i first started it i put 1 gallon in, started it, 1 more gallon, cycled gears but did not move, another gallon, same, and then finished it off, then cycled thru gears for about 10 minutes moving a tiny bit here and there, when i got it to actually drive it, it went into reverse fine, first and second were fine and they were solid shifts until it got hot, but even when i first started it, it still wanted to be in 3rd gear in drive, but after 45 it would shift to OD, it went thru 3rd and 4th normal but it would not drop down to second or third in drive. i know it still has fluid in it, but the pan is leaking, i checked it last night off and running(cold) and it was still good, i used the pump out of the original, not the over heated transmission. 2 days ago it started out ok and within 5 minutes had no forward gears but still had reverse, it still only has reverse and it is still solid, no slipping or hard to move, i wish there was a better way to explain this, it just has me so frustrated because i cant figure it out but it seems so simple

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
If you put three gallons of ATF in a new trans you are WAY underfilled. That could be your problem.

If you have it filled correctly warmed up, not cold, and it still doesn't move there is something mechanical wrong. It could be the shift linkage disconnected, or it could be an internal failure. I don't know what to tell you about two transmissions doing this. You can go ahead and replace everything electrical. It still won't move.

brian89

Reaction score
No i put 4 1/2 gallons in it, if it was shift linkage then it wouldnot move into any gear, reverse, neutral or park

brian89

Reaction score
I have no idea what you are looking at to get 1.5v. Nothing on the trans should be at 1.5v

Maybe that's the problem then if I'm seeing 2v and i should be seeing higher than 12, couldn't that be an issue? And i didn't have the interceptor when the trans was actually running correctly so i don't know what it would read on a normal running truck.

And i know you are extremely knowledgeable on these transmissions Mark and im not trying to be a smart ass or a know it all here because i really do need help and i do appreciate all the help your giving me now

brian89

Reaction score
Its on the interceptor gauge, it says trans volts and i have no clue where that is measuring volts from but that's what it says, i could try and find somebody with a 7.3 and a scan gauge and see what theirs reads, but were would i have to hook a meter up to to see if it is getting power?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I don't know what that voltage means. I think it is meaningless.

With all electrical connections to the transmission unplugged the trans will still go into gear and move the truck. With the shifter in 1 or 2 it will be in second gear. With the shifter in D it will be in fourth gear. Reverse will work normally.

There is NOTHING electrical that can make the trans not engage into any gear. It doesn't matter what voltage is where, it isn't electrical. I don't know how to make that any clearer.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Mark, He is looking at an Aeroforce Scangauge it just plugs into the obdII port and it is just pulling that voltage from the pcm, but I don't know where in the pcm it's getting it from. I think Brian is understanding that the no movement is mechanical, but he was just wondering about that voltage.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.