Truck broke down, need opinions

Snake

Reaction score
Mike - holy chit! You can't catch a break! Only thing i would recommend is talking to the GM before you pay anything. It's easier for them to adjust your bill before you pay then to give a partial refund.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Mike - holy chit! You can't catch a break! Only thing i would recommend is talking to the GM before you pay anything. It's easier for them to adjust your bill before you pay then to give a partial refund.

You are not kidding man... The silver lining is that I will finally get my studs and gaskets done the right way... FINALLY. Other than that... this sucks.

Ordering flex plate/bolts and 08 pan/filter today. Thinking about throwing in a billet input shaft while it's out since they're only a couple hundred, and want to order stage 1 pushrods too, because I tend to have a heavy right foot and hang out at 4k + a lot lol.

Zmann

Reaction score
check out the derale pan it fits all years ( internal adjustment ) and holds more fluid 7qts more IIRC

derale-der14204.jpg

Last edited:

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
truck broke down? again?

sell that lemon.... i feel like its been in the shop more then youve driven it.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
He's got nothin on my buddy. My buddy bought his 6.0 in August. He's had it for nine days. 7 of those were two weeks ago.

Mdub707

Reaction score
check out the derale pan it fits all years ( internal adjustment ) and holds more fluid 7qts more IIRC

derale-der14204.jpg

I'm not sold on those large capacity pans... I'm only getting the 08 one for the bigger filter in it.

truck broke down? again?

sell that lemon.... i feel like its been in the shop more then youve driven it.

I keep telling myself "well if I fix this part, what could possibly break next time?" hahaha, this is seriously the first thing I've had to deal with since being out of warranty, most of my downtime was the dealerships taking their sweet time repairing anything, and most of the repairs were never done correctly so back it went. The flex plate was kind of a fluke thing I'm thinking... I told myself I'd give it a fair shot by doing the studs/gaskets myself and then if I had any issues after that, I'd sell it.

He's got nothin on my buddy. My buddy bought his 6.0 in August. He's had it for nine days. 7 of those were two weeks ago.

I've got your buddy beat by a long shot on total down time. My last trip to the dealer it sat there for almost 2 months to the day. They didn't even look at it for the first month and I made an appointment for that visit!!!

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
I'm not sold on those large capacity pans... I'm only getting the 08 one for the bigger filter in it.

I keep telling myself "well if I fix this part, what could possibly break next time?" hahaha, this is seriously the first thing I've had to deal with since being out of warranty, most of my downtime was the dealerships taking their sweet time repairing anything, and most of the repairs were never done correctly so back it went. The flex plate was kind of a fluke thing I'm thinking... I told myself I'd give it a fair shot by doing the studs/gaskets myself and then if I had any issues after that, I'd sell it.

I've got your buddy beat by a long shot on total down time. My last trip to the dealer it sat there for almost 2 months to the day. They didn't even look at it for the first month and I made an appointment for that visit!!!

True, well goodluck !

Denver

Reaction score
My dealer tried doing the same to me when my trans went out while it was in their possesion. I had them give me a price. $2,800 for the trans and 10 hours to R&R. I had it towed to the trans builder and he can have them out in about 30 min. Now that I think about it when I had the engine pulled out in my 6.0 they also had to remove the trans and it only took the tech 4 hours to get the engine out on a stand.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score

Total downtime, yeah. But he's had the truck for 9 days now and owned it for sixty lol.

Sounds like you need to find a new dealer though dude. That's ridiculous.

Mdub707

Reaction score
No real news to update. I finally called last night and spoke to the GM, he wasn't of much help and at first he was basically telling me whatever it is, it is. He did finally agree to look into it and talk to the service manager.

After I got off the phone with him, I called another dealer in the area, Don's Ford out of Utica NY. My truck has been there before, and despite the tech's being semi-retarded (got into an argument about WVO use with him, but whatever), they have actually been kind of good to me. They are just out of the way for me. So for fun I called them and asked for a quote to do a flex plate on my truck. Labor to do the whole job... $575. Doesn't include parts, but the parts are only about $150. They quoted me a cheaper price to do the entire job for less money than I owe now with a 1/2 done truck and no parts. WTF.

I told the GM that Ford book hours for this job are under 8 hours and he told Ford doesn't have a book for it. How do you argue with this?

CCRICE

Reaction score
I'm just speaking from military experience here and may be talking out of my ass as far as this goes but I was almost certain that facilities that do work on vehicles have a chart for how many man hours it should take to complete tasks. We have a "Mac" chart and I would assume they would have something similar to that. Otherwise how are they going to quote you a price? I'd try and find something like that that is legit and slap it on his desk. You can't argue with the black and white straight out of the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
A couple of the guys in this thread have already told me it 7.7hrs for that job. I have a TSB printed out for doing the branch tubes on a 6.0, which requires trans and flex plate removal, it says 10.2hrs total... they're at 10 and all they've done is pull the starter and the trans. I know they're fuggin me over. It's going to be really hard to get them to say "oh yeah, you're right, it shouldn't take this long" and only charge me 1/2 or 1/3 of what the bill is now... it's an uphill battle that I will most likely lose, but I can't just say nothing about it you know?

In hindsight, I should have never brought it there, and even if I did, I should have asked up front how long they thought it would take to do. Why is it the other dealer thinks they can do the labor portion for $575 complete, and you're at fuggin almost $900 and 1/2 way through???? Unreal. That tells me it takes their trained diesel tech almost 3 full 8 hour days to do a flex plate replacement? Doubtful, unless homeboy has one arm or something.

CCRICE

Reaction score
Yeah that's unreal, I've been following this. You should only have been charged for labor completed. Which you said was the starter and trans. This is bs.. Im by no means a certified tech, but i would have to think that a monkey could have done that work quicker. Have you looked into calling corporate or anything?

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Possible small claims suit? What about contacting the bbb and also calling ford directly to make a complaint. Become a pain in their but is all I can say at this point. That is ridiculous. I'm not a mechanic and I am sure I could have that tranny out in less than 8hrs with hand tools and no tranny jack with time improvise a way to lower it..

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah that's unreal, I've been following this. You should only have been charged for labor completed. Which you said was the starter and trans. This is bs.. Im by no means a certified tech, but i would have to think that a monkey could have done that work quicker. Have you looked into calling corporate or anything?

The $875 bill IS for the labor completed, which is starter removal and trans removal... that's why I'm pissed off. They said they have 10 hours into it and that's all they've done. So their 10 hours to remove those parts equals an $875 bill.... which is why I asked them to stop working on it, the other dealer quoted me less money for the ENTIRE job. The other place would have probably totaled $900 with parts and labor complete, this place has me by the balls at $875 for 1/2 of the labor and no parts... see why I'm angry now?

Possible small claims suit? What about contacting the bbb and also calling ford directly to make a complaint. Become a pain in their but is all I can say at this point. That is ridiculous. I'm not a mechanic and I am sure I could have that tranny out in less than 8hrs with hand tools and no tranny jack with time improvise a way to lower it..

Actually I'm going to look into small claims. I would of course have to pay the bill first, then just take them to court. I wouldn't have the cost of an attorney to worry about then either and honestly I feel like I have a pretty strong case here.

I agree, I probably could have fumbled it out in less time myself.

If you didn't agree to pay anything or agreed to a certain estimate, that's all you have to pay.

There was never any talk of how much it would be or how long it would take, and in hindsight that's my fault (partially). The only time money was ever brought up was once the transmission was out of the truck, and they informed me it would be ~ $2100 parts and labor for everything. Other Ford dealer quotes me $575 labor only... and parts are like $125. Granted that didn't include any diagnostics, but even if you figure 2 hrs to diagnose (aiming way high) @ $100 an hour (aiming high again) we're at what the other shop is now with nothing accomplished.

Snake

Reaction score
Mike, tell the GM you have documentation about the job, how long it should take per their specs, and how much it should cost. Explain again that they've already exceeded that time/amount and they're only partially complete. You believe their business practices are deceptive, potentially a scam, and not only will you take them to court to recoup your money, but you will also contact the BBB, the State Attorney General, the NY Division of Consumer Protection, the newspapers, and the local news stations.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.