turbo blanket

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
FWIW you dont need the little ties/springs to hold it on there. i just had the Y out of the way and stuffed it in there, it fit snug enough to not need to go through the hassle of getting to the ties. the CHRA would have to be off to get to them, then you wouldnt be able to tighten the 4 bolts around the housing to the chra tabs :doh:

OSCS

Reaction score
FWIW you dont need the little ties/springs to hold it on there. i just had the Y out of the way and stuffed it in there, it fit snug enough to not need to go through the hassle of getting to the ties. the CHRA would have to be off to get to them, then you wouldnt be able to tighten the 4 bolts around the housing to the chra tabs :doh:

yeah if all that is neccesary then no thanks on the ties.. if it fits snug and holds the heat in im fine with just stuffing it on.. so you've had that thing on there for quite awhile now, any thoughts?

SDstroker

Reaction score
I concur with psj. Mine is just sitting on there. 15k later and thats what it still looks like and doing its job. FWIW I went with the blanket over ceramic coating. Blanket transfers quite nicely from housing to housing........

JDub

Reaction score
All the testing we did at WOP showed enough positive results that we ran them on just about everything that came through the shop. We used blankets from Levi at Turbo Performance Products in Idaho. Great fit and finish, he can make them to fit any turbo...

OSCS

Reaction score
Well that's good to hear. I'm glad I went with one. Hopefully the combination of the blanket and het wrapped DP can yield some efficency

OSCS

Reaction score
I'd like to do my up pipes but I'm not pulling them off just for heat wrap. What does a set of manifold blankets run for?

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
The turbine housings are generally tougher than nails and will stand up to the abuse of being smothered to death, but if you start wrapping up your poor up-pipes and manifolds too then I would fully expect cracking, warping and leaking from multiple places in relatively short order if the truck actually gets pushed on.

As if the exhaust system didn't lead a hard enough life already, lol.

OSCS

Reaction score
The turbine housings are generally tougher than nails and will stand up to the abuse of being smothered to death, but if you start wrapping up your poor up-pipes and manifolds too then I would fully expect cracking, warping and leaking from multiple places in relatively short order if the truck actually gets pushed on.

As if the exhaust system didn't lead a hard enough life already, lol.

Charles I was under the impression that cracking/warping was caused by rapid heating and cooling off? Wouldn't keeping them blanketed help with rapid heat reduction IE warping/cracking?

Charles

Reaction score
Charles I was under the impression that cracking/warping was caused by rapid heating and cooling off? Wouldn't keeping them blanketed help with rapid heat reduction IE warping/cracking?

If you wrap the manifolds and up-pipes, they will likely expand so much when super-heated that sheered bolts and crumpled pipes would be expected at far lower engine loads and power outputs than would happen if they were left free to radiate that heat away.

I know of not one major header manufacturer that will warrant their product if you wrap or blanket them. This is because the failure rate goes through the roof once you super-heat the metals by trapping all that energy that would otherwise radiate away, and simultaneously cut off all cooling airflow from convecting any heat away.

OSCS

Reaction score
If you wrap the manifolds and up-pipes, they will likely expand so much when super-heated that sheered bolts and crumpled pipes would be expected at far lower engine loads and power outputs than would happen if they were left free to radiate that heat away.

I know of not one major header manufacturer that will warrant their product if you wrap or blanket them. This is because the failure rate goes through the roof once you super-heat the metals by trapping all that energy that would otherwise radiate away, and simultaneously cut off all cooling airflow from convecting any heat away.

Makes since

OSCS

Reaction score
Random and possibly stupid question but has anyone heard or seen the cold side IC pipe wrapped with heat wrap to try and keep the colder air in and combat heat soaking the pipe?

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I would only want to use a wrap in an area where I would want to keep heat away from convecting to areas that you don't particularly want alot of heat

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Random and possibly stupid question but has anyone heard or seen the cold side IC pipe wrapped with heat wrap to try and keep the colder air in and combat heat soaking the pipe?

My ic pipes have some kinda tin foil wraping insulation lookin stuff on them. But idk

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Big Calo

Reaction score
My question is this, would the heat wrap do the same as the stock "foil" wrap? I don't see why not

I was under the impression that the foil wrap was for noise control? Seems like ambiant air temps at highway speeds would be nearly the same in/out of the engine compartment? J/W

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online