turbo blanket

Big Calo

Reaction score
That's what I was wondering? I thought it was there to block heat?

Turbo whine. Made a huge difference on my E99 after I took it off. IDK if that was the actual reason for it or not. Also I thought that was the reason that they switched turbo design from the E99 to 99.5-03. The reason the E99s have the wicked wheel and later models do not, due to customer complaints. I have seen some E99 with and without the insulation on the IC pipes. Just what I heard and it seemed to make since.

OSCS

Reaction score
Turbo whine. Made a huge difference on my E99 after I took it off. IDK if that was the actual reason for it or not. Also I thought that was the reason that they switched turbo design from the E99 to 99.5-03. The reason the E99s have the wicked wheel and later models do not, due to customer complaints. I have seen some E99 with and without the insulation on the IC pipes. Just what I heard and it seemed to make since.

I don't see how wrapping the inter-cooler pipes would deaden turbo whine..Also I would imagine they changed the turbo to accommodate bigger injectors

Last edited:

Big Calo

Reaction score
IDK guys, I got to thinking and I was told that back in the Org days, so who knows.

It did make a difference in noise tho, and turbo whine is music to my ears as well, which was why I ripped it off in the first place. And isn't the side that's wrapped the hot side anyway? Been to long since I looked under the hood of a fully assembled SD. Lol!

OSCS

Reaction score
Both mine are wrapped. About to eliminate and just powder coat it

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

In my head it doesn't make since to wrap the hot side as you would want heat dissipation but who knows.. By wrapping it you could be preventing heat soak ? Honestly though I'm sure heat dissipation thought the pipes and the effort to prevent heat soak probably cancel each other out.. I'm sure if it where that big of a deal we'd see some of the heavy hitters doing it. I'm just tying to find something to do with the extra heat wrap left over from my DP

Big Calo

Reaction score
I'd say if you wanted to wrap one, the cold side would be ideal to prevent heat soak post IC.

Charles

Reaction score
Considering that the charge air is HOTTER than ambient, have fun with that, lol.

OSCS

Reaction score
Considering that the charge air is HOTTER than ambient, have fun with that, lol.

I'm not saying wrapping it would be a good idea but my thinking is that over time that the heat from the exhuast manifolds, engine etc. could possibly heat soak the pipe and maybe wrapping it would prevent that. I'd just like to hear people's thoughts on the subject

Charles

Reaction score
I'm not saying wrapping it would be a good idea but my thinking is that over time that the heat from the exhuast manifolds, engine etc. could possibly heat soak the pipe and maybe wrapping it would prevent that. I'd just like to hear people's thoughts on the subject

The point of the charge air cooling system is to radiate heat out of the charge air. Not hold it in.

OSCS

Reaction score
The point of the charge air cooling system is to radiate heat out of the charge air. Not hold it in.

understood, I guess a heat shield would be more appropriate for combating "heat soaking" which seems like it would be more of a pain than actually doing anything

Charles

Reaction score
understood, I guess a heat shield would be more appropriate for combating "heat soaking" which seems like it would be more of a pain than actually doing anything

I don't think anyone is very worried about the efficiency of their CAC system when they are sitting still at idle making no boost.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.