Twin turbos worth it or not?

DocBar

Reaction score
FWIW, I have over $40K invested in the motor, trans and adding the compounds to my build. And I still don't have the compounds in my possession.

I fight myself, almost daily, to part out my current set up, throw in a stock set up, sell it and buy a 6.4 or 6.7 and enjoy all the perks of having a new truck instead of keeping on tweaking an older platform and repairing all the BS that was never engineered to be on the truck. Consider that when you think you you're gonna build the ultimate 7.3. Or even build a competent 7.3.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
FWIW, I have over $40K invested in the motor, trans and adding the compounds to my build. And I still don't have the compounds in my possession.

I fight myself, almost daily, to part out my current set up, throw in a stock set up, sell it and buy a 6.4 or 6.7 and enjoy all the perks of having a new truck instead of keeping on tweaking an older platform and repairing all the BS that was never engineered to be on the truck. Consider that when you think you you're gonna build the ultimate 7.3. Or even build a competent 7.3.

I think the same thing all the time. I could have a 700+ 6.4 that could handle dd duty and be fast.

alradco

Reaction score
The money starts to add up fast. Don't forget the cost of a transmission to handle the power especially if you want reliability.

97stoker350

Reaction score
I'd say atleast 10k but as far as it being the most expensive?? For a pmr motor yes it is more bc of bottom ends but u can drop 10k on max power coumpounds for a 6.4. 6.7 is already on its way to being expensive to mod and make more than 500

97stoker350

Reaction score
That's not including all the headaches after the build with tuning, oil and fuel leaks, regular maintenance and with a lift and more power trust me ****s gonna break and wear a lot faster than it will with 250 hp. Loom at any build on here and guys have atleast another month to 3 months getting the kinks worked out.

DocBar

Reaction score
I'd say at least 10k but as far as it being the most expensive?? For a pmr motor yes it is more bc of bottom ends but u can drop 10k on max power coumpounds for a 6.4. 6.7 is already on its way to being expensive to mod and make more than 500
$10K gets you the go fast bolt on parts, but doesn't even begin to address the rotating assemblies and bottom end. Add another $6K or so (if you do your own R&R) and then the $5K for a transmission to handle the power. That's $21K with a single turbo. Keep on adding $$$$ to go to compounds. Then, like you noted, all the tweaking, tuning and aggravation when your high $$, so-so HP rig ain't doin' what you want it to do.

You can go cheap and bolt on all the go fast parts, PMR or forged bottom end, but you're gambling when you get above 500-550 RWHP. There's a lot of wisdom in the old saw "if you can't afford to do it right the 1st time, you damn sure can't afford to do it twice".

H&S has proven that the 6.4 and 6.7 can handle some pretty big power on a stock bottom end. These motors come 350-400 FWHP from the factory while a 7.3 came 200-225 FWHP. The 7.3 can live at over double factory HP stock, so the 6.4 and 6.7 should be able to get in that range stock. Just saying....

TyCorr

Reaction score
I'd say atleast 10k but as far as it being the most expensive?? For a pmr motor yes it is more bc of bottom ends but u can drop 10k on max power coumpounds for a 6.4. 6.7 is already on its way to being expensive to mod and make more than 500

That really doesnt matter because heavy fuel and compounds dont belong in the same sentence as forged rods either.

The new trucks comment, I agree totally. Modding an older superduty adds up to a newer truck fast. But modding a new one doubles the price of a new truck fast.

I say get what you like and run it. I love my oooold heui truck. Its just one of those things. I have a new dmax to use and Id rather cruise around in my 00 with the 7.3.

Im just after a nice truck(all redone) that makes decent power 450-550.

DocBar

Reaction score
That really doesnt matter because heavy fuel and compounds dont belong in the same sentence as forged rods either.

The new trucks comment, I agree totally. Modding an older superduty adds up to a newer truck fast. But modding a new one doubles the price of a new truck fast.

I say get what you like and run it. I love my oooold heui truck. Its just one of those things. I have a new dmax to use and Id rather cruise around in my 00 with the 7.3.

Im just after a nice truck(all redone) that makes decent power 450-550.
I could buy a top of the line 2014 truck and add 200rwhp to it for less than I have in my 2003 truck hitting 550 as it sits. $75K or so. The truck was $46K brand new. At least I have my 6CD AM/FM stereo. Sigh.....

DocBar

Reaction score
Sounds like you held onto a sinking ship a little too long
I've had a few problems, but no rebuilds at all. I just try to do things right the first time. I travel for a living and live out of a 5th wheel, so I have to pay for work to be done. That's a very large expense.

DocBar

Reaction score
A 600 6.4 dd and a 550 hp 7.3 for fun. Fun combo
Budget, budget, budget, kiss the wife's ass, budget budget, budget, sell the old stuff for a loss...

Be dedicated, go big or go home. If you have the financial ability, as I do, build what you want. If you're a young man and have the means, gamble and go big, then drive your mom's car to school in shame. If you're young and have a young family, enjoy your 500 HP and save, save, save, read, read, read, learn, learn, learn.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Over the past couple days I'm getting more of an itch for a 700+ 6.0 or 6.4. I keep considering parting out the 7.3 and getting a new platform. 7.3 is a little outdated to reliably handle 700hp. I may just buy a 6.4 and slowly build it as a dd then drop the 7.3 into a f150 for a full out race truck.

thuglike

Reaction score
I am not one to talk as I drive a 750hp 6.4 everyday now BUT................................

Guys I miss that ol' 7.3 there IS a certain WOW factor that goes with a mean 7.3 build. It's there, more than ANY other make , model or motor. The 7.3 that hauls ass is the one that makes people talk!! I guess it's because the owners were told for years "you can't" ....... "you won't" ...."impossible" then a wave of guys came through and took the 7.3 to heights NO ONE could of imagined. Even to this day a whoop ass 7.3 is the talk at any dyno or racing or sled pull event. I gave up the 7.3 and when I did I became one of many. Sure the new rig is nice, better than nice but the 7.3 carried with it a little something extra... There is no more buzz with the bystanders at a dyno event anymore..I'm just a 6.4 doing what a 6.4 should...nice. The 7.3 will always be the engine raising eyebrows. Doing things people didn't think it could.

Stay the coarse boys the 7.3 is the foundation this "hobby" is built. There will always be product, research and development and fine tuning readily available for it. How else can we make all those who jump ship regret it..:D

My 2 cents

thuglike

Reaction score
BTW...To the op

Big Single...The 7.3 is a large motor, cc wise. Makes it easier to push a large lung.

With good tuning and a nice matching set of injectors dd'ing is no problem at all.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.