Reaction score
*sigh*......................

Attachments

• rig 1.jpg
    rig 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 94

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I am not one to talk as I drive a 750hp 6.4 everyday now BUT................................

Guys I miss that ol' 7.3 there IS a certain WOW factor that goes with a mean 7.3 build. It's there, more than ANY other make , model or motor. The 7.3 that hauls ass is the one that makes people talk!! I guess it's because the owners were told for years "you can't" ....... "you won't" ...."impossible" then a wave of guys came through and took the 7.3 to heights NO ONE could of imagined. Even to this day a whoop ass 7.3 is the talk at any dyno or racing or sled pull event. I gave up the 7.3 and when I did I became one of many. Sure the new rig is nice, better than nice but the 7.3 carried with it a little something extra... There is no more buzz with the bystanders at a dyno event anymore..I'm just a 6.4 doing what a 6.4 should...nice. The 7.3 will always be the engine raising eyebrows. Doing things people didn't think it could.

Stay the coarse boys the 7.3 is the foundation this "hobby" is built. There will always be product, research and development and fine tuning readily available for it. How else can we make all those who jump ship regret it..:D

My 2 cents

thanks a lot jason... now that made me think 400/600s and more nitrous could be fun....

mandkole

Reaction score
this thread has changed directions...gotta like the walks down 7.3 horsepower lane.

To the OP, get clear on your goals. I still think you'd be happier with a 6.4 and some tunes.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
The way I see it, if you can reach the hp goal on a big single with hood DD ability. Why the hell go compounds.

sent while staring at a windowed block

I recently had a conversation w/ a well known vendor who's been doing the 7.3 thing since it came about. I'd argue he was the one or one of the one's who got the injector building started back in the what 2000, 2001?

That being the case, we discussed a smallish GTX3576/3582 being fed by a GTX 4294 or 4202.

I had discussed running somewhere along the lines of a 200/200 up to a 250/200. He mentioned the 4294 would work well but the two combined would be the bee's knees only it would cost more.

This combo would run smoke free, in any setting, have instant off idle spool for use in a DD and would run cool to boot. Being that they are both GTX's it would be spendy but in that regard I didn't care. I could save some $$ and get Precision units but I've been talked out of their BB units more than once compared to the Garrett BB units.

The off idle responsiveness would significantly exceed the single unit and w/ the larger unit, top end wouldn't suffer and egts even WOT would be so much nicer.

Like Dentx said, it is an older platform and I like several aspects of my 6.4 but at a 3rd the cost I can buy a 7.3, add another 10k make it plenty fun and reliable and put the other 10k away. I don't need 600 hp I suppose and I sure as hell don't need the emissions head ache as the EPA pushes to get more and more states implementing testing.

Boys, I feel the EPA testing for more and more states is on the way. They cannot implement standards for the 7.3 that apply to the 6.0 or the 6.4. However if you own a 6.4 and you drive through a state that does, it would suck donkey b@lls to encounter a surprise inspection test. You may win the ticket but how much time and money will it cost you to beat a $200 ticket?

It is just another reason I'd be happy to get a reasonable 7.3 set up, maybe do some custom work and enjoy the mileage and money in my bank.

Good luck OP, just do it. Or go b@lls out and try for trips!:D

Reaction score
I am not one to talk as I drive a 750hp 6.4 everyday now BUT................................

Guys I miss that ol' 7.3 there IS a certain WOW factor that goes with a mean 7.3 build. It's there, more than ANY other make , model or motor. The 7.3 that hauls ass is the one that makes people talk!! I guess it's because the owners were told for years "you can't" ....... "you won't" ...."impossible" then a wave of guys came through and took the 7.3 to heights NO ONE could of imagined. Even to this day a whoop ass 7.3 is the talk at any dyno or racing or sled pull event. I gave up the 7.3 and when I did I became one of many. Sure the new rig is nice, better than nice but the 7.3 carried with it a little something extra... There is no more buzz with the bystanders at a dyno event anymore..I'm just a 6.4 doing what a 6.4 should...nice. The 7.3 will always be the engine raising eyebrows. Doing things people didn't think it could.

Stay the coarse boys the 7.3 is the foundation this "hobby" is built. There will always be product, research and development and fine tuning readily available for it. How else can we make all those who jump ship regret it..:D

My 2 cents

I could not agree with this more! When I'm asked why I have invested nearly 40k into the old 7.3 I respond with something much like what you said here.

DocBar

Reaction score
I recently had a conversation w/ a well known vendor who's been doing the 7.3 thing since it came about. I'd argue he was the one or one of the one's who got the injector building started back in the what 2000, 2001?

That being the case, we discussed a smallish GTX3576/3582 being fed by a GTX 4294 or 4202.

I had discussed running somewhere along the lines of a 200/200 up to a 250/200. He mentioned the 4294 would work well but the two combined would be the bee's knees only it would cost more.

This combo would run smoke free, in any setting, have instant off idle spool for use in a DD and would run cool to boot. Being that they are both GTX's it would be spendy but in that regard I didn't care. I could save some $$ and get Precision units but I've been talked out of their BB units more than once compared to the Garrett BB units.

The off idle responsiveness would significantly exceed the single unit and w/ the larger unit, top end wouldn't suffer and egts even WOT would be so much nicer.

Like Dentx said, it is an older platform and I like several aspects of my 6.4 but at a 3rd the cost I can buy a 7.3, add another 10k make it plenty fun and reliable and put the other 10k away. I don't need 600 hp I suppose and I sure as hell don't need the emissions head ache as the EPA pushes to get more and more states implementing testing.

Boys, I feel the EPA testing for more and more states is on the way. They cannot implement standards for the 7.3 that apply to the 6.0 or the 6.4. However if you own a 6.4 and you drive through a state that does, it would suck donkey b@lls to encounter a surprise inspection test. You may win the ticket but how much time and money will it cost you to beat a $200 ticket?

It is just another reason I'd be happy to get a reasonable 7.3 set up, maybe do some custom work and enjoy the mileage and money in my bank.

Good luck OP, just do it. Or go b@lls out and try for trips!:D
If that be true, you got @zz raped on the 6.4. I get what you're saying about cleaning up the fuel and off idle throttle response, but does it justify the cost and headaches? I've got a built 7.3 with 99% of the parts to go to compounds. Wanna trade? And I believe you are wrong about the EPA implanting standards that apply to newer platforms. I KNOW you're wrong in California. The EPA doesn't have to grandfather anything, especially 10 years after the end of the production run.

TyCorr

Reaction score
In IL the emissions testing reach is.just beyond where the farming stops. Coincidence? Doubt it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

My 2 cents

This^^^
I miss my 7.3 whenever I am on the road with the 6.7... I get home and I park it and jump in the dually and tear up the roads. Jason is spot on with the talk of the show being about the old dinosaurs....
live life full throttle...
load it like a box car, drive it like a stock car

Last edited:

DocBar

Reaction score
This^^^
I miss my 7.3 whenever I am on the road with the 6.7... I get home and I park it and jump in the dually and tear up the roads. Jason is spot on with the talk of the show being about the old dinosaurs....
Put up or shut up. Wanna trade? You'd be hard pressed to beat my set up. I have a built motor, a BTS and 99% of the parts to go to a compound set up. All I need is the LP turbo from Pius. All those parts are included.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Put up or shut up. Wanna trade? You'd be hard pressed to beat my set up. I have a built motor, a BTS and 99% of the parts to go to a compound set up. All I need is the LP turbo from Pius. All those parts are included.

Wtf you talkin dude? I have dam near the same thing as you.... my dually with measly 170/100s is dam close to your setup already.... put up or shut up what?

DocBar

Reaction score
Wtf you talkin dude? I have dam near the same thing as you.... my dually with measly 170/100s is dam close to your setup already.... put up or shut up what?

Get as sentimenstrual as you want, but your 170/100's or 6.7 won't even come close to touching my truck and you know it. I have the perfect 7.3 to build on, which is why I am. I don't expect to hit any HP records, but I do plan on being able to tow at 300rwhp and keep my driveline intact, while hitting 1000RWHP on spray.

I have most of the parts and the willingness to deal with the BS of getting the set up dialed in. You have a 6.7 and a 7.3 with little girl injectors. I'll run you any day, title for title....as long as the title is for the 6.7. Put up or shut up.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score

I'm trying to understand where this ^^^^ is all coming from...

You have a solid platform, that you're choosing not to make big power with.

And... That's the 7.3's fault?

Jason

Reaction score
You're an idiot. Big badass built motor that is stuck in the high 13's??? Lincolnlocker has dyno'd high high 400's, and iirc, that big ole heavy dually ran like bottom 14's. So for your prick ass coming out of nowhere pounding your chest all "put up or shut up" "title for title", makes you look like more of a retard than that delapitated pile you drive with a ram air hood and a ranch hand bumper.

DocBar

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand where this ^^^^ is all coming from...

You have a solid platform, that you're choosing not to make big power with.

And... That's the 7.3's fault?
Not at all. I have a solid platform that I can run balls out with DI tunes or run with Gearhead live tunes, that keeps my motor alive and drivable. When I add the compounds and injectors, I'll be in the high 600's to low 700's. That's pretty big power on fuel in a 7.3

As to you're post, specifically, I think it's more efficient to make that power in a 6.4 or 6.7 rather than a 7.3. The only fault with the 7.3 is the amount of $$$ needed to get it to high HP levels and keep it there.

DocBar

Reaction score
You're an idiot. Big badass built motor that is stuck in the high 13's??? Lincolnlocker has dyno'd high high 400's, and iirc, that big ole heavy dually ran like bottom 14's. So for your prick ass coming out of nowhere pounding your chest all "put up or shut up" "title for title", makes you look like more of a retard than that delapitated pile you drive with a ram air hood and a ranch hand bumper.
So run me title for title. Put up or shut up. My best times aren't in my sig. That what David ran with bad tire spin and basic tunes. Besides, the last time I checked mid 13's beat the *** out of bottom 14's. Suck my ranch hand. My biggest worry is your little piss ant Mustang clogging up my air flow as I blow past you. Do you even own a diesel or are you just another wannabe that talks **** with nothing to back it up?

Last edited:

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Not at all. I have a solid platform that I can run balls out with DI tunes or run with Gearhead live tunes, that keeps my motor alive and drivable. When I add the compounds and injectors, I'll be in the high 600's to low 700's. That's pretty big power on fuel in a 7.3

As to you're post, specifically, I think it's more efficient to make that power in a 6.4 or 6.7 rather than a 7.3. The only fault with the 7.3 is the amount of $$$ needed to get it to high HP levels and keep it there.

Honestly, I don't see that much difference.

The trans won't live forever in the new ones. 6.4's eat heads slightly slower than 6.0's. The 6.7's need a full bottom end...

At 600, you're doin engine work on all three.

Just because you can slap a tune on it and make xxx power, doesn't mean it's reliable without spending comparable money to support it.

You still need a trans. You still need to do engine work.

Latest posts

Members online