Twins vs single.

Term3

Reaction score
I would love to put in a twin kit as I just don't have the time to fab one up myself problem is that every kit I look at has a bad reputation on the forums. I really liked the one that Jefferson State Diesel put together but they disappeared into oblivion.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Because fabbing up a one fit all type kit i can tell you is virtually impossible, no two people are going to do the previous modifications the same unless the same person who built your single turbo is who you want to fab up your compounds.

This is why no one on here the bigger shops wants to deal with things not fitting correctly. Most of them will do it in house for you but that is taking your truck to them and expecting at least a month's worth of not seeing it and most likely 10k at the end that you have to own up to.

Looking back if i would have had the coin to spare i would have someone else do it. Especially if you had no experience fitting or running a tig torch.

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
I built my setup with a friend. It wasn't bad. I wish I could post some feedback of my batmo 66/74 and billet 75/96 with 225s, but I've been having back problems recently and my cab is off.

4tonGT40

Reaction score
you may not have the supporting mods for twins. i.e. built trans. or you may not have the money for the second turbo maybe.

If you are looking for a performance reason, I cant think of a reason (performance wise anyways) that you would only ever want a single turbo. Just my $.02
Just wondering and Im not trying to be a smart ass by no means, but isnt two turbo's better than one? And what is the diff between what some ppl around here call "compounds" and just two turbo's? Are they the same thing?

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Compounds- One smaller turbo with a relatively tight housing so it will spool asap feeding a larger turbo i.e. 88mm inducer or so just to loaf along only pushing 5-10 psi of boost keeping both turbo's well within their respective map's. All the while making a smooth power curve with no real "punch" as you would get with a single. Best for overall driveability and power production when done properly.

Twin- Just that two identical chargers feeding off opposite sides of the motor most likely not gated and both being anywhere from 60-66mm inducer ranges and tight housings since you are now getting half the exhaust gasses to use to produce boost.

Triples- One tight housing turbo along the lines of 66mm that will spool quickly and then two identical chargers being fed the gas off the first 66 then pushing it back into the first charger then to the motor. Supposedly as driveable as the compounds with less of a chance to fall "underneath" the chargers that way.

Take your pick at which one you want..

windrunner408

Reaction score
Well as was mentioned I think later. The reason for one turbo is rules for sled pulling otherwise yes. Two are better. I would say the difference between compounds and two turbos is that two turbos implies 2 identical turbos as opposed to one small and one large turbo (compounds) where the larger turbo compounds the boost being provided by the small turbo.

4tonGT40

Reaction score
Well as was mentioned I think later. The reason for one turbo is rules for sled pulling otherwise yes. Two are better. I would say the difference between compounds and two turbos is that two turbos implies 2 identical turbos as opposed to one small and one large turbo (compounds) where the larger turbo compounds the boost being provided by the small turbo.
so whats in my 2008 6.4??

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Compounds- One smaller turbo with a relatively tight housing so it will spool asap feeding a larger turbo i.e. 88mm inducer or so just to loaf along only pushing 5-10 psi of boost keeping both turbo's well within their respective map's. All the while making a smooth power curve with no real "punch" as you would get with a single. Best for overall driveability and power production when done properly.

Twin- Just that two identical chargers feeding off opposite sides of the motor most likely not gated and both being anywhere from 60-66mm inducer ranges and tight housings since you are now getting half the exhaust gasses to use to produce boost.

Triples- One tight housing turbo along the lines of 66mm that will spool quickly and then two identical chargers being fed the gas off the first 66 then pushing it back into the first charger then to the motor. Supposedly as driveable as the compounds with less of a chance to fall "underneath" the chargers that way.

Take your pick at which one you want..

Thats not really a common twin application around here.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Compounds is a big turbo feeding the smaller turbo...not the smaller turbo feeding the big one. (The smaller one could never flow enough air to feed the big turbo.)

And another misunderstanding...thinking that the amount of air in a compound system is the air of the smaller turbo, plus the air of the big turbo.....not.

The only air going to the engine is what flows through the big turbo...the small turbo is just compressing the compressed air further...it is NOT adding more air.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Compounds is a big turbo feeding the smaller turbo...not the smaller turbo feeding the big one. (The smaller one could never flow enough air to feed the big turbo.)

And another misunderstanding...thinking that the amount of air in a compound system is the air of the smaller turbo, plus the air of the big turbo.....not.

The only air going to the engine is what flows through the big turbo...the small turbo is just compressing the compressed air further...it is NOT adding more air.

I think your a little confused.

He has the right thought Smut

The only place the air gets pulled from is the big turbo, the intake is only on the big turbo...air goes through big turbo and gets compressed, feeds to small turbo where it gets compressed more for a denser air charge then intercooler into the engine

Extended Power

Reaction score
He has the right thought Smut

The only place the air gets pulled from is the big turbo, the intake is only on the big turbo...air goes through big turbo and gets compressed, feeds to small turbo where it gets compressed more for a denser air charge then intercooler into the engine

Correct...the smaller turbo does not "add" any air. (Where would the "Extra" air come from?)

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Ivan is right on the intake side... I was referring to the exhaust gas travel through the system where the smaller turbo would be pushing the larger... And what other twins setup is out there smut? Twins= identical.. Compounds= one large one small

constantfix

Reaction score
Assuming you have all supporting mods done, is 10k really the ballpark of purchasing and having someone do the install on a compound setup?

edit: I'm sure pricing is going to vary due to what turbos you choose, but in general is what i'm asking

Latest posts

Members online