Want to put a zf-6 in my excursion ...

94forddiesel

Reaction score
Looking to convert my excursion to a manual. For one has anyone does this in an excursion? Wondering what parts I will need ? Computer, driveshafts.. Also I have California emissions can I just get a non Cali wiring harness and a computer for a zf6? Or will the computer be different because it's an excursion? Thanks for any info any one has on this!!

Charles

Reaction score
Looking to convert my excursion to a manual. For one has anyone does this in an excursion? Wondering what parts I will need ? Computer, driveshafts.. Also I have California emissions can I just get a non Cali wiring harness and a computer for a zf6? Or will the computer be different because it's an excursion? Thanks for any info any one has on this!!

Put a PCS trans controller on the 4R and then build a bump shifter to place in the cab. Run it in full manual mode 24-7. Then you have a strong trans that can take a lot of crap that's also full manual.

The ZF6 is a joke.

bruce

Reaction score
Spent all that money to go fast now you want a junk ass zf? Might as well sell the performance stuff to.

94forddiesel

Reaction score
I enjoy shifting my truck and if you can't go as fast in a stick then you shouldn't be driving for what I use MY truck for a stick will just be all around better I'm asking for info on how to do it not why I should or shouldn't

94forddiesel

Reaction score
Put a PCS trans controller on the 4R and then build a bump shifter to place in the cab. Run it in full manual mode 24-7. Then you have a strong trans that can take a lot of crap that's also full manual.

The ZF6 is a joke.

And I see where your coming from. Def something I will look into thanks for the idea!

co04cobra

Reaction score
For ***s Sake. If the guy wants a ZF in his excursion its his business. IMO a 4r is one of the biggest piles of goddamnn dog sh!t to ever be behind an engine in stock form.

I WISH I had the money back I've wasted replacing the ***n things. Where I live b/c of the terrain and loads guys haul, they don't last PERIOD. I have people killing BTS here with 300hp trucks.

I've had to replace and work on 4rs 50 to 1 vs zfs. If you want to drag race it might be the best option. If you want something that IS reliable and easy to maintain, there is no reason to not like it.

OP. Easiest way to do this would be with a donor truck. For you any 99-01 manual truck would work. You need to change the engine harness and pcm. Then you would have the pedals, floor hump, slave cylinder, etc... too.

rascal

Reaction score
OP, there are a lot of manual haters here and and most of the outspoken ones replied to you with the exception of one that I can think of.

If you want a manual; do it. I have a ZF in my truck and it has never let me down. Great transmission IMO.

Good luck.

94forddiesel

Reaction score
For ***s Sake. If the guy wants a ZF in his excursion its his business. IMO a 4r is one of the biggest piles of goddamnn dog sh!t to ever be behind an engine in stock form.

I WISH I had the money back I've wasted replacing the ***n things. Where I live b/c of the terrain and loads guys haul, they don't last PERIOD. I have people killing BTS here with 300hp trucks.

I've had to replace and work on 4rs 50 to 1 vs zfs. If you want to drag race it might be the best option. If you want something that IS reliable and easy to maintain, there is no reason to not like it.

OP. Easiest way to do this would be with a donor truck. For you any 99-01 manual truck would work. You need to change the engine harness and pcm. Then you would have the pedals, floor hump, slave cylinder, etc... too.

Thank you someone that agrees. Mainly answered the question I was asking so I'll look around for a donor truck that way I should have everything I need. And correct me if I'm wrong but if I get a regular cab I should be able to use the drive shafts since the wheel bases are the same, correct?

94forddiesel

Reaction score
OP, there are a lot of manual haters here and and most of the outspoken ones replied to you with the exception of one that I can think of.

If you want a manual; do it. I have a ZF in my truck and it has never let me down. Great transmission IMO.

Good luck.

Ten four thanks for the input

co04cobra

Reaction score
Thank you someone that agrees. Mainly answered the question I was asking so I'll look around for a donor truck that way I should have everything I need. And correct me if I'm wrong but if I get a regular cab I should be able to use the drive shafts since the wheel bases are the same, correct?

Yes you are correct. The driveshafts will interchange between those 2.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

Please explain how thats possible.. brian flat out told me that as long as I can keep my fluid temps in check and holding pressures in check then there was nothing I could do to destroy his trans on a fuel only 7.3..

live life full throttle

co04cobra

Reaction score
Please explain how thats possible.. brian flat out told me that as long as I can keep my fluid temps in check and holding pressures in check then there was nothing I could do to destroy his trans on a fuel only 7.3..

live life full throttle

Because its steep enough and they are WAY WAY over weight to not keep the trans happy. I deal with "I need this here now" guys that aren't going to monitor, and/or want to do any, what they consider unreasonable maintenance. IE expensive fluid changes...

These same guys with the same type of trucks, BEAT the ever living PISS out of ZFs and I rarely have to deal with them again after we have sold the truck.

I'm not here to start a pissing match about auto vs manual etc.. Brians transmissions have been 100x better then stock. I'm just saying that not EVERY application does the auto do the best job.

In this case the OP just wants to do it. He was looking for advice on doing the swap, not opinions on why to or not to do it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Because its steep enough and they are WAY WAY over weight to not keep the trans happy. I deal with "I need this here now" guys that aren't going to monitor, and/or want to do any, what they consider unreasonable maintenance. IE expensive fluid changes...

These same guys with the same type of trucks, BEAT the ever living PISS out of ZFs and I rarely have to deal with them again after we have sold the truck.

I'm not here to start a pissing match about auto vs manual etc.. Brians transmissions have been 100x better then stock. I'm just saying that not EVERY application does the auto do the best job.

In this case the OP just wants to do it. He was looking for advice on doing the swap, not opinions on why to or not to do it.

I hear ya. So its not the trans. Its the guys who run them.

live life full throttle

dsberman94

Reaction score
I think it will be cool once it's done. I haven't seen anyone do it before. An extended cab short bed should have the same drive shaft as a regular cab long bed. I think.

94forddiesel

Reaction score
Thanks for any of the input guys and thanks for those that are here to help! Oh and by the way I've thought about the whole peterbuilt idea lol and also i give Brian tons of respect on what he can do with a 4r I've ridin in, driven trucks with Brian's transmission and I've been down to bts in person and met Brian he is a great guy! But I just enjoy a manual transmission for MY truck. And also how many excursions you see out there grabin' gears! I'm not here to do what everyone else does I'm here to do what I like!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.