Want to put a zf-6 in my excursion ...

Wayne

Reaction score
I've toyed with the idea of doing this with the 6.4 excursion I'm building. The built 5R works great, and I will probably run one, but the idea of rowing the gears in an excursion has some appeal to me.

94forddiesel

Reaction score
I've toyed with the idea of doing this with the 6.4 excursion I'm building. The built 5R works great, and I will probably run one, but the idea of rowing the gears in an excursion has some appeal to me.

I'm interested in the 6.4 conversion that sounds interesting I thought about it since my ex is blown up at the moment :doh::doh:and I have a lot of. 6.4 parts laying around... Keep me updated on this!!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thanks for any of the input guys and thanks for those that are here to help! Oh and by the way I've thought about the whole peterbuilt idea lol and also i give Brian tons of respect on what he can do with a 4r I've ridin in, driven trucks with Brian's transmission and I've been down to bts in person and met Brian he is a great guy! But I just enjoy a manual transmission for MY truck. And also how many excursions you see out there grabin' gears! I'm not here to do what everyone else does I'm here to do what I like!

Last two sentences are all that matters!!

live life full throttle

bruce

Reaction score
Please explain how thats possible.. brian flat out told me that as long as I can keep my fluid temps in check and holding pressures in check then there was nothing I could do to destroy his trans on a fuel only 7.3..

live life full throttle

Go watch the wild and wonder whites of west Virginia and you'll see the type of people he's dealin with

Charles

Reaction score
The OP said he wanted a manual. My red truck is a manual every time the toggle is flipped to full manual mode.

The OP didn't specify pos manual.

The next time my 550 sh*ts a ZF6 it's getting an eaton/fuller 9 or the little 7 speed in the mid-range trucks. Because it might as well be a non-synchro trans that might actually stay together for more than a couple hay seasons... The ZF6 is pathetic. I have melted 3 of them. Scorched black, popping out of gear, dead... 3 times. If I were the only one to drive it, I would run a 4R. But without auto defueling on a shift, I don't see it working well on a bazillion 2-3 shifts at WOT at 30k+ with other people driving. With a non-synchro eaton you have to let off.

And for MJ, I deliver all the heavier stuff on a 50 ton tri-axle pulled by a T-800 running a 9 speed. Shifting a dinky little ZF6 is not the problem. It being a dinky pos with plastic hydros, sh*t syncros and tons of parasitic loss with all gears engaged 24-7 smoking the oil is the problem...

To the OP. Best of luck. Guys like you have to learn the hard way. I know... I was one of them...

Every vehicle I have ever owned has been manual or full manual auto. My crew cab will be as soon as time permits.

Seriously, good luck though. As long as you stay below ~500 wheel it will be fine. Not good, but fine. Above that and you'll have to choose holding power or shifting. A full manual 4R will do both.

Wayne

Reaction score
good_guy_jerk.png

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sorry if he's correct. He's not against the swap apparently but warned the OP of what WILL happen at 500 hp or above with the weak zf. I've been reading threads about him boiling the guts out of zf6 for 5 or 6 years now. If it's not them it's the whopping 300hp 550 roasting the guts out of its "heavy duty" axles.

TyCorr

Reaction score
That'll happen when you dump the clutch with 30k gross weight LOL

Yea but we're talking in an truck that produces 300 hp max. Foot to the floor. And that enough to boil driveline parts. All I'm saying. In a worktruck, you make the trans the weak spot with a zf.

I had those turds in my obs gas trucks and finally went to an e4od and wondered "why the hell have I been stirring my way down the road?" Never had another manual since LOL

The oem is ditching them for a reason I guess.

I completely support the Op in doing it because he wants to. But if he works that truck hard with 500 hp it either will break alot or won't shift well. My buddies e99 with stg2 was hard on manuals. That was an honest 450hp truck maybe a hair less.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Yea but we're talking in an truck that produces 300 hp max. Foot to the floor. And that enough to boil driveline parts. All I'm saying. In a worktruck, you make the trans the weak spot with a zf.

I had those turds in my obs gas trucks and finally went to an e4od and wondered "why the hell have I been stirring my way down the road?" Never had another manual since LOL

The oem is ditching them for a reason I guess.

I completely support the Op in doing it because he wants to. But if he works that truck hard with 500 hp it either will break alot or won't shift well. My buddies e99 with stg2 was hard on manuals. That was an honest 450hp truck maybe a hair less.

That's the funny part. The only thing to live here in work trucks are manuals. Its not just e4ods and 4rs its every manufacturer of autos. I overreacted in my first post, and I apologize for that.

The same guy(s) that kill BTS trans in 20-30k with 300hp (or I will have to pull it for some reason at least once a year) have had and do have trucks with ZFs, that do the exact same thing, that I NEVER touch for years on end.

I literally have sold hundreds of SDs with zfs and hundreds with autos. The warranty rate of what I have to fix, and the # of costumers that wish they didn't have the auto are staggering.

We have had dozens of rollbacks with manuals, and tried a few with autos. I say few for a reason. The way they are worked here, and the terrain KILL THEM PERIOD.

Once again, I'm not saying everybody should do a manual. So I get tired of hearing how great the autos are when I personally have manyyyyyyyyyyyyy first hand experiences of how they are not.

It also is very impractical to have to put 6K extra in a trans, and/or truck that you can buy with a manual that will do the exact same job, for less money.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That's the funny part. The only thing to live here in work trucks are manuals. Its not just e4ods and 4rs its every manufacturer of autos. I overreacted in my first post, and I apologize for that.

The same guy(s) that kill BTS trans in 20-30k with 300hp (or I will have to pull it for some reason at least once a year) have had and do have trucks with ZFs, that do the exact same thing, that I NEVER touch for years on end.

I literally have sold hundreds of SDs with zfs and hundreds with autos. The warranty rate of what I have to fix, and the # of costumers that wish they didn't have the auto are staggering.

We have had dozens of rollbacks with manuals, and tried a few with autos. I say few for a reason. The way they are worked here, and the terrain KILL THEM PERIOD.

Once again, I'm not saying everybody should do a manual. So I get tired of hearing how great the autos are when I personally have manyyyyyyyyyyyyy first hand experiences of how they are not.

It also is very impractical to have to put 6K extra in a trans, and/or truck that you can buy with a manual that will do the exact same job, for less money.

You also eed to add in there how the maintenance is on those transmissions too.. like you told me above... track times put my dually at 470hp and I have done everything under the sun to try and break that trans other then improper maintenance.... im sure with zero maintenance I could but im pretty anal about every fluid on the trucks I own.. only way I could see it being hurt is if I drained the fluid out or took all the trans fluid coolers out and ran it... but thats just super ****tarded to even think of it...

live life full throttle

weazel

Reaction score
Go watch the wild and wonder whites of west Virginia and you'll see the type of people he's dealin with

That movie sucks, I have to put up with so much crap because of those idiots

Sent from my fortress of awesome

TyCorr

Reaction score
You also eed to add in there how the maintenance is on those transmissions too.. like you told me above... track times put my dually at 470hp and I have done everything under the sun to try and break that trans other then improper maintenance.... im sure with zero maintenance I could but im pretty anal about every fluid on the trucks I own.. only way I could see it being hurt is if I drained the fluid out or took all the trans fluid coolers out and ran it... but thats just super ****tarded to even think of it...

live life full throttle

Idk anybody who works with half of a brain who doesn't maintain their shti.

My truck was waaaaaaay overloaded for 225k miles. From the time it was new until I switched jobs that truck pulled a gn trailer with a skid loader and other attachments. 5klbs in chains alone. I used it to go and snatch fallen trees and load them on the trailer. About fifteen percent of the trucks life was on pavement. It was lifted for ground clearance, ran 36-40" tires for axle clearance, and had a 100 hp tune. I never once hurt the trans. I watched the fluid get over 280 degrees a handful of times when stuck. I also never left the fluid in for 20k miles as suggested. I always changed the fluid if it got hot like that. My trans lived through all that and even survived custom tuning on a ts chip and 38r. Didn't have any trouble until I put 175s in the truck and beat on it 100°+ heat. Got hot and started slipping. 250k. C'mon. The synchro would be GOOOOONE in a manual superduty after half that mileage. Under load the clutches bind up so bad the driveline shutters if you need to uncouple it.

I had to have a bunch of crap replaced on the last zf I owned at 100k miles. It was a dedicated work truck too. 460 in a one ton with 4.10s. Drw. I can't imagine what even a stock diesel pulling loads would do to those same parts. Wooo weeee!

sniper_101

Reaction score
Sorry if he's correct. He's not against the swap apparently but warned the OP of what WILL happen at 500 hp or above with the weak zf. I've been reading threads about him boiling the guts out of zf6 for 5 or 6 years now. If it's not them it's the whopping 300hp 550 roasting the guts out of its "heavy duty" axles.

Where are all the others doing this that haul heavy constantly with their manual trans trucks? :rolleyes:

---

OP - I didn't buy my truck to race, just tow and be reliable/simple. Aside from the syncros in mine starting to wear a bit now, at 250,000 miles, I'm still happy I made the choice of a ZF6. Besides, I still have fun bangin' gears in this old truck.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Where are all the others doing this that haul heavy constantly with their manual trans trucks? :rolleyes:

---

OP - I didn't buy my truck to race, just tow and be reliable/simple. Aside from the syncros in mine starting to wear a bit now, at 250,000 miles, I'm still happy I made the choice of a ZF6. Besides, I still have fun bangin' gears in this old truck.

I'm sure the design has gotten so much better since I ran a 250 hp gasser and had synchro issues at half the mileage you're at. Maybe the definition of work varies?

No need to get all eye roll and pissy. I can go talk to women if I want that, lol. I can't see how it's possible since I've been there, done that. Maybe because you have a 7k lb truck? Idk. My dually was way over 10 with the bed and boxes on it. It's stiiiiiill around though. It has 400+ on it and I see it pulling a trailer occasionally.

TyCorr

Reaction score
what am I missing here? what's the difference between that and using the column selector to hold gears?

His truck was a manual. He swapped it over, as did Charles. And the column shifter just suggests things. Doesn't actually make them happen.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.