What synthetic oil is everybody using?

01PSD

Reaction score
Bro runs T6, the extreme blue 5w 40 is damn near impossible to get around here :fustrate:

Noticed a huge difference in idle and start-ups after the switch from 15w 40 non-synthetic

colinmitchell111

Reaction score
2x as much? I thought they were pretty close to the same price last I checked. Has Amsoil increased that much? I know my Rotella T6 with a motorcraft filter usually runs me around $150 or so. Of course I just buy 4 gallons and a filter.

T6 is $21 a gallon around here. Amsoil is $10 per quart which equals $40 per gallon.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Bro runs T6, the extreme blue 5w 40 is damn near impossible to get around here :fustrate:

Noticed a huge difference in idle and start-ups after the switch from 15w 40 non-synthetic

Yeah the premium blue 15w 40 is bountiful around here. Just not the 5w40 synthetic

I was going to ask what 15w-40 you ran? I'm assuming the valvoline? I tried that ONCE, worst oil I've run in this 6.0 yet. I drained 15w-40 non synthetic Rotella out, and put this stuff in, because it was on sale. My truck ran immediately worse. Idled rougher, ran like crap, hard starts, etc. I didn't even make it a full oil change and got rid of it, went back to Rotella and my truck immediately ran better. The original stuff I drained out had around 8k miles on it too, when I added the Valvoline. I know a lot of guys run the Synthetic 5w-40, and seem to like it, but the 15w-40 was terrible, at least in my truck. That's why I'm saying I didn't notice a difference when I went from 15w-40 Rotella, to 5w-40 Rotella, their non-synthetic was just that good. Switching from 15w-40 Valvoline, to 15w-40 Rotella, WORLD of difference. My heart literally sank when I started my truck up and drove it around with that fresh Valvoline 15w-40 in it. That bad.

T6 is $21 a gallon around here. Amsoil is $10 per quart which equals $40 per gallon.

Damn, sure it wasn't on sale? It's usually $26-$28 a gallon here for the T6. I know Amsoil is a little more, but usually not terribly so. That's dirt cheap for T6 though...

01PSD

Reaction score
I was going to ask what 15w-40 you ran? I'm assuming the valvoline? I tried that ONCE, worst oil I've run in this 6.0 yet. I drained 15w-40 non synthetic Rotella out, and put this stuff in, because it was on sale. My truck ran immediately worse. Idled rougher, ran like crap, hard starts, etc. I didn't even make it a full oil change and got rid of it, went back to Rotella and my truck immediately ran better. The original stuff I drained out had around 8k miles on it too, when I added the Valvoline. I know a lot of guys run the Synthetic 5w-40, and seem to like it, but the 15w-40 was terrible, at least in my truck. That's why I'm saying I didn't notice a difference when I went from 15w-40 Rotella, to 5w-40 Rotella, their non-synthetic was just that good. Switching from 15w-40 Valvoline, to 15w-40 Rotella, WORLD of difference. My heart literally sank when I started my truck up and drove it around with that fresh Valvoline 15w-40 in it. That bad.

Damn, sure it wasn't on sale? It's usually $26-$28 a gallon here for the T6. I know Amsoil is a little more, but usually not terribly so. That's dirt cheap for T6 though...

Went from 15w-40 Rotella to 5w-40 Rotella, it runs much better.. :shrug:

colinmitchell111

Reaction score

Thats the normal price at walmart and meijer. Tsc sometimes has it on sale too.

01PSD

Reaction score
The last few times I've been at TSC, they had T6 on sale for around 21 bucks I think. Everywhere else is usually 27-28 though

Mdub707

Reaction score
Thats the normal price at walmart and meijer. Tsc sometimes has it on sale too.

The last few times I've been at TSC, they had T6 on sale for around 21 bucks I think. Everywhere else is usually 27-28 though

I will not step foot in a Wal-Mart, and will gladly pay double for anything to keep me from doing so.

With that said, yeah, sale price at TSC is usually $21, but it never seems to be on sale when I need it! :pointlaugh:

01PSD

Reaction score
No friggin lie the last few times I've been there they only had 3 gallons on the shelf:morons:
Same thing at Advance..

colinmitchell111

Reaction score
I will not step foot in a Wal-Mart, and will gladly pay double for anything to keep me from doing so.

With that said, yeah, sale price at TSC is usually $21, but it never seems to be on sale when I need it! :pointlaugh:

I'm with you on the walmart thing. I go to meijer instead.

MossBack

Reaction score
19.99 for 5/40 t6 at oriellys and a $5 mail in rebate. I have a dealer pricing and AMSOIL is 30.40 for 5/40 and 27.60 15/40 preferred price is the same. Tax and shipping extra. If you only have to do 1 or 2 oil changes it is worth the $20 for preferred price.

FallenAuthority

Reaction score
Amsoil is only around $2.00 more a quart and I have used oil analysis that would make you change your mind about Rotella.

So you going to post results or just poke your head in here, comment and never return?
I am going to be changing the oil in my truck soon and was going to use T6.

Reaction score
I started out with Rotella 15w-40 and it ran decent but then switched to T6 5w-40 made a world of difference over the conventional oil. The truck Idle smoother, injectors were quieter, cold started smoother, and the hot starts seemed better. Before I sold my 6.0, I switched to Mobil 1 5w-40 syn. Turbo Diesel Truck and it was by far better in the oil analysis... it didn't shear as fast, and the TBN held up longer than the Rotella T6. But both T6 and Mobil 1 made the truck run great!!! With my 6.4 I tried Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w-40 syn. since it was 21 bucks a gallon at local NAPA and also heard it was a decent oil for 6.4s. The oil analysis will tell in afew thousand miles just how good it is...

strokin6L

Reaction score
I've been looking into amsoil and the dealer told me about that for 5W40 and the 5W30 and emailed me the link which was amsoil website

Sorry but I don't see that mentioned anywhere on their website. It actually states that the 5w40 has a broad viscosity range to provide exceptional cold weather starting and high temperature protection. Same holds true for the 5w30.I was told a different story than you.

Reaction score
Sorry but I don't see that mentioned anywhere on their website. It actually states that the 5w40 has a broad viscosity range to provide exceptional cold weather starting and high temperature protection. Same holds true for the 5w30.I was told a different story than you.

I just found it, you have to type in your vehicle then it will show all the oils they have available for it, scroll down and it does say that beside the oil. I thought I was given misinformation for awhile to until I found it finally.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.