What synthetic oil is everybody using?

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I have always run delo 15-40. Other then the above listed benefits are there any other benefits to running synthetic? Longer time between oil changes? I dont have issues starting, but something that allowed the truck to warm up faster would be nice.

Sent from the cabin of my Boeing 6.4

bboteler

Reaction score
Those of you who have a hard time finding the oil of choice have you contacted a local amsoil dealer or even one on the site here, there are a bunch of us around.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Last amsoil dealer I talked to promised me 20k miles between oil changes on my 6.0. I find that hard to believe. Anybody got any opinions on that?

Reaction score
I don't believe that at all but each to their own, I was still going to change at 5k miles. But in the end I will probably just stick with Delo 5W40 synthetic

MossBack

Reaction score
Last amsoil dealer I talked to promised me 20k miles between oil changes on my 6.0. I find that hard to believe. Anybody got any opinions on that?

The oil is warrantied to 25k miles or 1 year not just promised. The fact is you need to do oil samples at anything past 5,000. For me I barely do 10,000 a year but I still will perform samples for peace of mind. The HUEI system is tough on oil period! I always recommend a sample with a TBN read out because the shear will put it down to a 30 wt. very quick.

Go to AMSOIL and read the study about the medium duty international garbage truck testing that they performed.

And I would even say go to black stone or another 3rd party testing lab. AMSOIL uses oil analysis and it costs a little less. Just be sure to send a clean sample along with your oil for comparison.

And if science isn't good enough then don't buy AMSOIL and use delo 400. And Fram filters!

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Im in. From what I can remember it was a lot more for their oil over good ole delo. LOL So whats the best practice for having the oil tested? Send it to amsoil or have someone local test it?

Sent from the cabin of my Boeing 6.4

TyCorr

Reaction score
I will not step foot in a Wal-Mart, and will gladly pay double for anything to keep me from doing so.

With that said, yeah, sale price at TSC is usually $21, but it never seems to be on sale when I need it! :pointlaugh:

First paragraph, I agree wholeheartedly...i had a coupon for ten bucks.off.an oilchange so I took it there two weeks ago. They didnt.stock the oil.filter.so they wouldnt change my oil. Stupid ***ks. Then they wanted me.to bring them a filter AND oil. It was cold and raining, I did not want to do it. I made them put the old.filter.back on and put oil in it and I drove it to.sears and had it done. They had a filter AND mobil 1 5w20. :doh:

Paragraph two.....buy it whenever its on sale. I have twenty to.thirty gallons of oil in my garage for my truck. Probably another ten for.the car and minivan.

bboteler

Reaction score
I test my 5w-30 every 5000 miles...i'm at 7500k so far results are good. Amsoil has test kits available or you can contact blackstone and they will send you their sample kit.

TyCorr

Reaction score
These oil threads are funny. Running oil over 5k in an heui.system is pretty bad advice. But.hey if your junk.keeps.running, go.for.it.

My duramax "reminds" me every 10k to.change. I think its too long but I dont do the maintenance.so whatever.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I just found it, you have to type in your vehicle then it will show all the oils they have available for it, scroll down and it does say that beside the oil. I thought I was given misinformation for awhile to until I found it finally.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookuppage.aspx?url2=2004+FORD TRUCKS+F350 PICKUP+P
Only thing that it states is that it's acceptable in that temp range. Doesn't say that's it's not recommended at temps higher than that. I was told from amsoil a long time ago that the 5w40 and 5w30 is perfectly fine to run in warm temps....hell many guys including myself have been doing it for years with no issues.

Reaction score
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookuppage.aspx?url2=2004+FORD TRUCKS+F350 PICKUP+P
Only thing that it states is that it's acceptable in that temp range. Doesn't say that's it's not recommended at temps higher than that. I was told from amsoil a long time ago that the 5w40 and 5w30 is perfectly fine to run in warm temps....hell many guys including myself have been doing it for years with no issues.

I believe I might just have to try it then, I wanted to anyways. Mobil 1 in Walmart will cost more than the amsoil anyways up here.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Lubrication Engineers hands down.
Mag Hytech actually recommends our mineral based oil over amsoil synthetic for the 4r100.
Amsoil isn't even API approved. But amsoil would be a second choice if LE wasn't put there.

Zmann

Reaction score
Those of you who have a hard time finding the oil of choice have you contacted a local amsoil dealer or even one on the site here, there are a bunch of us around.

they usually PM Me after I make a comment on Availability

Here is My Amsoil experience

Went to Amsoil site and got a list of Local Reps

called or Emailed a few of them over the course of a week

none ever had the decency to respond ?

I have since come to the conclusion that If I can't walk into a store and By My oil I have no interest in Mail order oil and that is Why I was looking for a local Rep originally I really Have no interest in using Amsoil any longer

their temp ratings put Me off I live in a Desert but can Be in snow in a few hours so I like My year round 5-40 choice better vs Amsoils offerings

-9 To 90 F......10W-30 [1]
-20 To 30 F......5W-30, 5W-40 [2]
-20 To 0 F......0W-30 [2]
Above 10 F......15W-40 [3]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.