What welding hood do you have

SINNER

Reaction score
A few speedglas, 3 Optrels with forced fresh air for confined space work, and a half dozen Miller elites. Both the digital and the standard. The digital ones are much better in sensing low amperage welding and TIG. The Optrel's are garbage and have not held up with very limited use. The Speedglas are Ok but my men often complain that they are not comfortable. The Elite's are hands down the best helmets I own. Durable, light and super fast switching. Also when used for plasma cutting the Elites are the only ones that do not toggle on and off as the nozzle of the torch shields the arc. Never used a mask to grind and not sure why anyone would.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Miller digital elite.. Tough helmet and very good clarity, mine is kinda heavy cause i got chit hanging off of it everywhere to prevent burns.

SINNER

Reaction score
I always insist on 180* viewing on a helmet because I often weld at a right angle to where I am looking.....LOL

That may be one of the oddest reasons to like a helmet I have ever heard.

STROKER

Reaction score
Have a miller digital elite for doing stuff around the shop and a hobart hood i keep in my toolbox of the truck for work. Ive had the hobart for about 5 years and its had the crap beat out of it and still works great.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I always insist on 180* viewing on a helmet because I often weld at a right angle to where I am looking.....LOL

That may be one of the oddest reasons to like a helmet I have ever heard.

It's nice to see what's around you when you work in a busy area. Once you try a Helmet setup like that, you'll wish yours had it.

SINNER

Reaction score
I have more than one of those. I honestly do not like those helmets at all. When a company can not figure out how to make headgear that will keep the helmet up when I swing it up, I certainly will not trust my eyes to them. They fog way easier than any other helmet also. I give them to the service guys since they get minimal use. Yet the millers in the fab shop still last longer being used every day compared to monthly at best.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I have more than one of those. I honestly do not like those helmets at all. When a company can not figure out how to make headgear that will keep the helmet up when I swing it up, I certainly will not trust my eyes to them. They fog way easier than any other helmet also. I give them to the service guys since they get minimal use. Yet the millers in the fab shop still last longer being used every day compared to monthly at best.

Weird, I've never experienced any of that and I too have more than one of those. Try breathing through your nose and not your mouth, less fog issues that way

SINNER

Reaction score
I weld only at home on fun projects. I leave the junk at work for my men to tear up. I use miller and occasionally a old Hobart with a Breathe-cool when I am welding galvanized steel or ductile iron.

And apparently unlike you I am not inbred enough to even know how to mouth breath. LMFAO

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I weld only at home on fun projects. I leave the junk at work for my men to tear up. I use miller and occasionally a old Hobart with a Breathe-cool when I am welding galvanized steel or ductile iron.

And apparently unlike you I am not inbred enough to even know how to mouth breath. LMFAO

Fantastic. Hobbiests always have the best insight on experience. I've seen you, you mouth breath just fine my friend.

SINNER

Reaction score
I pay employees to do the welding dumbass. I did 100% of the welding for my company for years. Real welding like inconel tubing and 100% x-rayed work. Not burning holes in 6 leaker manifolds like you. LOL I remember well when you showed up over at Gogo. Didn't you have to buy one of Doug's manifolds to figure out how to copy it? ROTFLMFAO

ken6881

Reaction score
Weird, I've never experienced any of that and I too have more than one of those. Try breathing through your nose and not your mouth, less fog issues that way

Same here. Mine has a deflector in the front of the mask that deflects air out the sides of the helmet. My helmet has never fogged once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbenso127

Reaction score
It's nice to see what's around you when you work in a busy area. Once you try a Helmet setup like that, you'll wish yours had it.

My only problem with a wider view screen, is I tend to get distracted if I see something in the corner of my eye lol. Sometimes not an issue, but some of the more critical welds, I have to have 100% focus, and my ADD will ***k me up if I get distracted lol. However, I must say, I do love the fit of most of the speedglass hoods I have had the opportunity to wear.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Same here. Mine has a deflector in the front of the mask that deflects air out the sides of the helmet. My helmet has never fogged once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yessir. Two of mine have that, the other is a closed face BUT it still has louvers to direct air. I've never fogged a lens and I weld a lot, yearly

My only problem with a wider view screen, is I tend to get distracted if I see something in the corner of my eye lol. Sometimes not an issue, but some of the more critical welds, I have to have 100% focus, and my ADD will ***k me up if I get distracted lol. However, I must say, I do love the fit of most of the speedglass hoods I have had the opportunity to wear.

Lol I have that problem some times too. Small price I pay for comfort and safety. The newest speedglass headgear is by far the most comfortable setup I've ever worn.

Jbenso127

Reaction score
Lol I have that problem some times too. Small price I pay for comfort and safety. The newest speedglass headgear is by far the most comfortable setup I've ever worn.

I don't think I would be opposed to it in a fab shop, welding in a chair on a table type situation. A lot of time in the field, my hood gets the chit beat out of it, so I try not to invest in something that I'd like to keep nice. I have a Jackson HLX 100 for field work type stuff.. Cheap hood, flexible if I have to squeeze my head in somewhere, nice and light to wear with my hardhat, and it's non auto dark, so if I get in a situation where something is in front of my head blocking the sensor, I don't strike up and my lens doesn't go dark lol. I also have a miller elite, but it has given me trouble with delay or just not going dark at all sometimes. Guys who weld aluminum, know how unpleasant that can be.

moose99psd

Reaction score
Yessir. Two of mine have that, the other is a closed face BUT it still has louvers to direct air. I've never fogged a lens and I weld a lot, yearly

have you tried on the new miller headgear? its amazingly comfy.. i switched my old hood to the new style and my others are all new headgear as well..

moose99psd

Reaction score
A few speedglas, 3 Optrels with forced fresh air for confined space work, and a half dozen Miller elites. Both the digital and the standard. The digital ones are much better in sensing low amperage welding and TIG. The Optrel's are garbage and have not held up with very limited use. The Speedglas are Ok but my men often complain that they are not comfortable. The Elite's are hands down the best helmets I own. Durable, light and super fast switching. Also when used for plasma cutting the Elites are the only ones that do not toggle on and off as the nozzle of the torch shields the arc. Never used a mask to grind and not sure why anyone would.

a welding hood gives by far the best possible protection to your head and face... and you dont know why youd use it to grind? your some kinda special arent you? get yourself into some confined spaces where sparks are bouncing off **** and coming back at you and you might have a clue...

Members online

No members online now.