Which injectors/turbo are right for me?

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I understand the FRX but am not going to be able to do it. I need those ports for the vegi system. Unless I sit down and really make up som sort of tee with check valve in them...

You will be feeding fuel from both ends of each head with (2) stock PSD pumps and will be able to purge any air introduced by flushing one-way thru the heads, back to fuel tank, before shutting truck off. Fuel pressure in the heads will be monitored.

I keep hearing people say to go with 250/200's instead of 238/100's - same price, but the 200's can be tuned down to perform like 100's. Some still say the 200's won't be good in cooold weather and WILL smoke with heavy throttle, even in 'mild' tunes. Also, 200's should produce lower EGT's (and better MPG's?).

The OP lives in NJ and uses his truck to plow snow. Will 250/200's be happy puttering around in that climate? Is it better to just stick with 238/100's or even 80% nozzles? Especially since with PMR's he prolly shouldn't open the 200's very far anyway?

Pocket is looking for about the same HP level, but it seems he has a whole bunch of extra fuel available at that level. I understand the concept of getting the fuel in there faster, but aren't we also limited to some extent by 'minimum' PW? Isn't that why vanderchevy and pockets trucks smell like raw diesel at idle and smoke/haze under light load (before charger spools)? Wouldn't THAT be indicative of poor fuel economy? Also, in the long term wouldn't that 'rich' idle contribute to coking/carbon build-up? (like plowing in a parking lot - never working the engine hard)

What are the honest drawbacks of a 250/200 over a 238/100 for a guy who plows snow, pulls a camper and wants to go faster at the dragstrip a couple times/yr?

907DAVE

Reaction score
I have had no cold weather issues with my 200% nozzles up here in Alaska. Truck gets driven daily, all year.

JDub

Reaction score
Why the qssb or gqssb? The s366 is cheaper and will perform just as good or better. Especially with smaller sticks.

Do you have personal experience or data or side by side comparison of the two turbos? I doubt an off the shelf S300 will outperform a turbocharger engineered and built specifically for the 7.3L application. The GQSSB was matched for the 450-500hp range and runs 1:1 all the way up to 40-psi while offering quick low end response and a very strong top end. We have yet to receive a poor review on the GQSSB from an owner wanting to daily drive and tow with their trucks while being able to support 500hp. I should also note, the QSSB was engineered in 2002 as a direct replacement for the H2E and it still works great in a towing application in the 350-425hp range.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Do you have personal experience or data or side by side comparison of the two turbos? I doubt an off the shelf S300 will outperform a turbocharger engineered and built specifically for the 7.3L application. The GQSSB was matched for the 450-500hp range and runs 1:1 all the way up to 40-psi while offering quick low end response and a very strong top end. We have yet to receive a poor review on the GQSSB from an owner wanting to daily drive and tow with their trucks while being able to support 500hp. I should also note, the QSSB was engineered in 2002 as a direct replacement for the H2E and it still works great in a towing application in the 350-425hp range.

Is this a custom 3k dollar turbo?

TyCorr

Reaction score
You will be feeding fuel from both ends of each head with (2) stock PSD pumps and will be able to purge any air introduced by flushing one-way thru the heads, back to fuel tank, before shutting truck off. Fuel pressure in the heads will be monitored.

I keep hearing people say to go with 250/200's instead of 238/100's - same price, but the 200's can be tuned down to perform like 100's. Some still say the 200's won't be good in cooold weather and WILL smoke with heavy throttle, even in 'mild' tunes. Also, 200's should produce lower EGT's (and better MPG's?).

The OP lives in NJ and uses his truck to plow snow. Will 250/200's be happy puttering around in that climate? Is it better to just stick with 238/100's or even 80% nozzles? Especially since with PMR's he prolly shouldn't open the 200's very far anyway?

Pocket is looking for about the same HP level, but it seems he has a whole bunch of extra fuel available at that level. I understand the concept of getting the fuel in there faster, but aren't we also limited to some extent by 'minimum' PW? Isn't that why vanderchevy and pockets trucks smell like raw diesel at idle and smoke/haze under light load (before charger spools)? Wouldn't THAT be indicative of poor fuel economy? Also, in the long term wouldn't that 'rich' idle contribute to coking/carbon build-up? (like plowing in a parking lot - never working the engine hard)

What are the honest drawbacks of a 250/200 over a 238/100 for a guy who plows snow, pulls a camper and wants to go faster at the dragstrip a couple times/yr?

I believe this is the mindset that people are trying to eradicate. If idling is your top priority(im not being a smarta$$) leave stock inj's in your truck. If you prefer optimum useful performance at rpms above 1500 rpms then you will appreciate the hybrids and the way they compliment the large displacement motor. Wasting fuel idling? Who really cares? Shut the truck off if thats a key concern. Im sure a tuner can 'work' on making you a clean idle for larger inj's. They even commented in this thread it really isnt worth all the fuss as a brief whisp of soot floating out the tailpipe occasionally isnt the end of the world. Go to youtube and look at Mattr66 (gearheads owner) posts. He's got a black truck idling with large hybrids and a 5" exhaust posted and its not smoking or idling choppy. A stock injectored truck with worn sticks idles like crap too. I think that detail, in the interest of being completely honest, is played up.

You've got cooler operation and efficiency WITH the opportunity to have increased power using a larger inj and nozzle. Good tuning is good tuning. I went to a local g2g and there was a guy there with 275's in a 7.3 and it was clean idling and pretty smokefree compared to another super duty 7.3 with 175cc stg 2's and cruddy tuning that smoke like a pig. It ran hot and while it did sound good, exhaust wise, it was pretty critical to birddog the gauges if you were on the throttle. Bad tuning!

I wanted stg II's six months ago. I dont see the point now unless you are just upgrading a titch over stock.

There are people going out of their way to share what hybrids can do for your truck NO MATTER HOW you use it. I just dont see any drawback being overcome by a smaller inj's capability. Even the hpo system is going to like a smaller hybrid vs stock or especially stage 1 or 2's. Curtis is achieving low egts' even when he isnt paying attention. He's towing more weight and the truck is loafing along doing it. Haze during throttle application is easily overcome by a downshift or slowly roll into it and let the charger do its job.

I can NOT wait to get some bigger sticks in my truck!! Counting the weeks!

TyCorr

Reaction score
We sell the turbo for $1299

Well hell bud, then there was no reason for the you get what you pay for comment! Thats cheaper than 38r or a s300. I was semi-interested in an h2e but I got the 38r because I plan on adding a first stage in front of it and dont need a huge hp charger for my 500+ dd goals w/high 6's being my peak hp goal.

Does this turbo use the h2e mounting kit?

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
You are right jdub. I would never think of arguing with you because I know for fact that you know tons more than I do. From the reading, reviews, and first hand experience of folks I have talked to, has told me that the s366 lights stupid fast, and flows enough to support the ops goals. It is also small enough to work terrific with stock injectors and a 15* oil pump. Like the 38r, it would make a great high pressure turbo in a compound setup. But, the number 1 and 2 reasons I put it above others is price and the mount style. Its a t4 so you have more options to change down the road than a t4i, and you can buy a complete mount kit and s366 for $2,050.

In this case its like choice of tuners. Opinion. I'm not knocking the qssb or gqssb, but merely stating my opinion.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You are right jdub. I would never think of arguing with you because I know for fact that you know tons more than I do. From the reading, reviews, and first hand experience of folks I have talked to, has told me that the s366 lights stupid fast, and flows enough to support the ops goals. It is also small enough to work terrific with stock injectors and a 15* oil pump. Like the 38r, it would make a great high pressure turbo in a compound setup. But, the number 1 and 2 reasons I put it above others is price and the mount style. Its a t4 so you have more options to change down the road than a t4i, and you can buy a complete mount kit and s366 for $2,050.

In this case its like choice of tuners. Opinion. I'm not knocking the qssb or gqssb, but merely stating my opinion.

Well said! What you're saying seems to be true in this case.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score

hmmmmm, i might be one of those customers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.