Who haz seen this before

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Relative Compression on IDS is rather erroneous until you get to serious issues. I did take a compression reading on the worst cylinder, #7. It was 390. I went to take more, but just as I thought, the soot in the glow plug sleeve jammed my Schrader in my tester. Not shelling out shraders @$2 a pop until I know whose paying.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Issues were very poor cold starts with thick Grey smoke. Poor balance rates across the board. Once warm, the truck was great. I'm thinking the sleeves are loose when cold, bypassing combustion into cooling system.

The truck also had a coolant leak when it came in. It was pissing out the water pump. Probably since new cap holds higher pressure.

ghohouston

Reaction score
CTC, we had a 7.3 at work that had a miss in one cylinder. Replaced injector, ohmed out uvch, compression tested good, and it still had a miss. Well the guys ended up pulling the engine and found one of the rod cap bolts had completely broken off, on a bone stock truck.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Issues were very poor cold starts with thick Grey smoke. Poor balance rates across the board. Once warm, the truck was great. I'm thinking the sleeves are loose when cold, bypassing combustion into cooling system.

The truck also had a coolant leak when it came in. It was pissing out the water pump. Probably since new cap holds higher pressure.

Ford oem head gaskets? I know you're a knowledgable guy, just asking

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Pretty confident in the bottom end in this truck.

For right now, I'm going to say yes to Ford gaskets

reilly8282

Reaction score
So with compression within specs, and you said a new injector I wonder where the fuel knock was coming from that returned after the 1000 miles. Was it just knocking when cold?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well it never went away for 1000 miles. It was only a few, just enough to rid the system or air so I wasn't getting any false readings. Usually I take a 12 miles run.

By time I started heading back the trick was misfiring. So enough that cylinder was adding fuel to compensate for other cylinders issues.

It was only knocking below 100*. Like a said when this motors op temp it runs amazing and the balance graph is dead on except when I turn off ficm control, than a few cylinders start to stray from the center. But nothing horrible but enough to give issues while cold

broncof250444

Reaction score
Was the right year model glow plugs installed in the right year cyl heads?

Early build 6.0's use a slightly shorter GP then the later models so the threads could be bottoming out but not reaching the seat of the sleeve.

range91

Reaction score
I do not Know the supplier of the head. But it's not a Ford product. Nor any you mentioned

One question For CTC why in the phuck would u use china heads? Anyone who uses a china product on any major engine component is setting themselves up for failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I cannot control what the customer wants on his vehicle, when parts are supplied to us we give our opinion and wheter or not they take it is their issue.

Now you may say, well if he wanted these on his truck, its his issue... Well its not that simple, not only are we trying to make this right for the customer, we want to further learn about what exactly happened here and have even better proof of what products NOT to use in the future.

Points in this thread to follow

-I will not disclose what shop I work for, it does not have anything to do with this forum, I do not sling work from here to my shop, I keep hobby and work separate. Unless of course I have an issue like this where I have to ask opinions on here.

-I do not want names publicly posted, only PM'd. No I will not PM you the supplier either until I find out EXACTLY what is to blame here. Even then I am not putting anyone on blast.

thank you

range91

Reaction score
Understandable. I applaud you for taking the hi road and making it right for the customer. I personally would have never done the job if it would have come down to having to go cheap customers just never understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
yea, it takes a toll on us when these situation comes through, but we believe in the end we have that customer for life.

reilly8282

Reaction score
Well it never went away for 1000 miles. It was only a few, just enough to rid the system or air so I wasn't getting any false readings. Usually I take a 12 miles run.

By time I started heading back the trick was misfiring. So enough that cylinder was adding fuel to compensate for other cylinders issues.

It was only knocking below 100*. Like a said when this motors op temp it runs amazing and the balance graph is dead on except when I turn off ficm control, than a few cylinders start to stray from the center. But nothing horrible but enough to give issues while cold

I got ya now, I was thinking it was detonating or knocking when it was warm. But I was misunderstanding. Thanks.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
20140217_082103_zpsaqnovkhl.jpg

Mdub707

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of any other head brands besides Ford or the Odessa/Clearwater junkers....

Zmann

Reaction score
besides some of those one off billet jobs I don't think there is

I think quick tricks is selling the clear water casting also ??

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
We informed customer of the situation. He said he was going to have the place call us to figure out what happened...

That was last week and we haven't heard a word...

webb06

Reaction score
We informed customer of the situation. He said he was going to have the place call us to figure out what happened...

That was last week and we haven't heard a word...

Isn't that convenient when a truck is taking up a spot waiting on a phone call. Is the cab off of it?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
No, cabs down. It was taking up a Bay for over two weeks and I finally got tired of seeing it and shoved it outside.

So let me get this straight, clearwater/Odessa casts heads themselves? Than who is the cheap Chinese manufacturer?

Latest posts

Members online