3 transmissions in a month

Kylerf150

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys I could really use some help and input on my problems I have been having. About two months ago I put in swamps 200cc injectors in my truck with their tuning. My Ford HD tranny w/115k went out about 3 weeks after the injectors. I installed a stock used tranny with 88k on it and it lasted less than 3 days. I purchased a Heavy duty billet built transmission from one of the highly recommended tranny builders ( I don't want to mention the name because I don't want this to turn into a BTS v.s. Woods v.s. Suncoast v.s. ATS debate) It was a great choice and I know the builder is going to take care of me. Anyways my question is all three of these transmissions went out in the same way and I am wondering if it could be a pcm/ tuning problem causing the failures. Heres how it happens

Tranny #1 115k
The 1st transmission (HD Ford with 115k) went out while I was climbing a fairly steep hill in the middle of a hay field and just started slipping. I started to head back to town and it didn't want to upshift into 2nd gear it just revved out in between 1st and 2nd. I let off of it and it shifted and shuddered really bad I am surprised I still have a rear end.I made it about 3 miles and I lost all forward clutches and had good reverse.

Tranny #2 88k
I borrowed this from a good friend to try and get me by until the builder could get my built tranny built and shipped up north to me. Well this tranny lasted about 3 to 4 days less than 200miles and it went out pretty much the same exact way. While it went to upshift it slipped going up a on ramp I let off and continued about 800yds and it started slipping and shuddering really bad on the highway. I lost all forward gears and had reverse.

Tranny #3
Brand new Billet shafted built to the nuts Tranny 150miles
Well I got my awesome new tranny and it was working great until I hooked up a load of cows and started to haul with it. I didn't feel any shudder while pulling,good firm shifts it was pulling great and I was happy. Until I started up this steep a$$ hill It was in 2nd and as I was pulling the hill it went to downshift to 1st and it SLIPPED in between shifts. I made it probably about 5 more miles to the next big a$$ hill and I put it into 4LOW and made it about 200 yards up the hill and I lost all forward gears. I put a pressure gauge on it and I was getting 190 psi stalled in forward gears and around 300psi in reverse. While I was stalling it and checking pressures The Front clutches seized together giving me forward in N D 2 1 gears and of course no reverse because it was fighting the seized up forward clutches.

Anyways now you know the story

The highest I saw for temps was about 185* to 190* on all three trannys. The builder said the pressures match exactly where he would like to see them but my only concern is I can't replicate the 1 to 2 shifts to see if the pressure is doing anything funny there so that is what has me worried at this point. I am thinking that maybe the tuning is causing the problems just because swamps has a lot of tranny tuning in with their tunes.

How does the computer control the shifts?
What should the psi be doing when it is shifting?

COULD this a Pcm problem,or a tuning problem?
Should I go with a stand alone Tcm like a trans commander or Co pilot?
What are your thoughts as to what this could be?
Sorry for the long post and Thanks for the help in advance.
KYLER

2001 Ford f250 7.3L psd crew cab lariat
3in lift
Swamps 200cc/30's
Swamps tuning
Swamps Idm
Dieselsite RR
Heavy duty transmission
38R w/ WW2
zoo dad
unique metal product air filter system
07 mirrors
smoked cab lights
2009 taillights
V-leds turn signals
custom built 2007 harley HID projectors
8k hids
stancor relay
44gal excursion tank
09 badges
295/65/20 trail grapplers and xd 795 machined black wheels
2009 tail gate​

Kylerf150

Reaction score
swamps tunes
daily-a5
Hi idle-b3
Towp6d
Hot daily-a2
4500 xtrm-a3400d
2-6 drag a8- Street race

Those are the tunes written on my swamps chip card
But I have never ran it any higher than the hot daily setting and I only tow in towp6d and in daily-a5

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
i would suggest calling innovative diesel and talk to Eric... he can write you a custom tune to suite your needs.. he can set you up with a converter lock up or he can turn it off, he can customise it for your injectors and turbo.. and he will make adjustments as needed until you are happy...

snoracerx

Reaction score
Di you flush all the trans lines and cooler after the first trans went some times debris will get into this lines and continue blowing things up until they are cleaned

Sent from my iPhone

Kylerf150

Reaction score
i would suggest calling innovative diesel and talk to Eric... he can write you a custom tune to suite your needs.. he can set you up with a converter lock up or he can turn it off, he can customise it for your injectors and turbo.. and he will make adjustments as needed until you are happy...

I will give him a call Jeremy Thank you

Di you flush all the trans lines and cooler after the first trans went some times debris will get into this lines and continue blowing things up until they are cleaned

Sent from my iPhone

Oh yeah I flushed em good every time and after I installed the built trans I installed a new 6.0 cooler and also ran all new lines and flushed them out.

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
i think you will be happy with their products... when you upgraded your transmission did you also uprage your converter converter? if not you may want to.. and american hotrod solutions makes a great one fully billet and its under a grand..

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The computer controls the pressure in the trans and when the shift happens. If the tunes have an error and there isn't enough pressure commanded you will just continue burning up transmissions.

Kylerf150

Reaction score
i think you will be happy with their products... when you upgraded your transmission did you also uprage your converter converter? if not you may want to.. and american hotrod solutions makes a great one fully billet and its under a grand..

Yeah it came with Johns triple disc convertor. And If dave at swamps doesn't find anything wrong with the chip I sent to him I will defiantly go with a different tuner.

Thank you
kyler

ghohouston

Reaction score
Damn that sucks! My bts I bought brand new, somehow ended up getting built to handle stock power levels, and I had 238/100's. I killed it within like 2 months. But they warrantied it no problem, so their customer service is top notch

Gulfcoast

Reaction score
Have you talked to the guy who burned the chip? What is his take? I would have thought you had trash in your cooler or lines from the first mishap but since you said you changed it out I guess you can rule that out.:shrug:

Kylerf150

Reaction score
He is going to look at the chip and see if there is any corrupted files i will know more next week.

Anybody have any input on transmission controllers?

Jason

Reaction score
If you want info on a pcs, you need to pm Charles. He's the go to guy, and is running a bts 4r on one. A lot of what he says catches flack in different arenas, but his knowledge about the working of these motors, and transmissions, all bs aside is second to none.

always-strokin

Reaction score
If you want info on a pcs, you need to pm Charles. He's the go to guy, and is running a bts 4r on one. A lot of what he says catches flack in different arenas, but his knowledge about the working of these motors, and transmissions, all bs aside is second to none.

Charles catches flack because he tells it like it is with no bull****.

OP, what the **** man. I'd be throwing things right now if I were you, and you seem calm as can be. I hope you figure this out, and I hope like hell you tell us what the cause was when you figure it out. Good luck man.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Damn that sucks! My bts I bought brand new, somehow ended up getting built to handle stock power levels, and I had 238/100's. I killed it within like 2 months. But they warrantied it no problem, so their customer service is top notch

No ***king way! That cant be true. Was it cheaper since it was a pos?

Kylerf150

Reaction score
Charles catches flack because he tells it like it is with no bull****.

OP, what the **** man. I'd be throwing things right now if I were you, and you seem calm as can be. I hope you figure this out, and I hope like hell you tell us what the cause was when you figure it out. Good luck man.

Haha well the throwing and pulling my hair out stage has already passed!!! Im at the point where i just laugh at the situation now. If its not one thing its another right!!! I have been trying to get the hot rod put together for the last year but things keep popping up on the old superduty. Getting others opinions and recommendations really help calm the inner beast that's for sure. And i will defiantly let everybody know what i find out in the upcoming weeks.

Thank you
Kyler

Latest posts

Members online