38R and billet compressor wheel

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm interested in changing to the wheel in my 38R with the Riffraff billet wheel. Is this money/effort well spent? Is not balancing the turbo Ok? It's supposed to be drop in as is the WW2, but I'm not certain there isn't risk and there isn't a lot out there I can find through search.

Truck specs are in the sig. I've run through two tuners, landed on PHP custom tunes and have a couple versions now and the truck run very well. Just that I would like to clean up the smoke on take off some and when towing. It's not a lot, I'm just picky about that sort of thing. EGT's get hot when pushing on the 80hp towing tune but are manageable with 25hp tune. Total GCVW is ~17K.

Thank you

:toast:

Reaction score
Several have ran both, and actually preferred the original cast wheel, especially for egt's. I installed the Riffraff wheel on our 02 before installing, so I have no comparison to cast. The Egt's aren't as good as I hoped, I wanted it to be similar to my 96 wich had a BASB, (modded 364.5). However, the turbo has been a major upgrade from the stock one, spools almost just as fast but definitely runs cooler and no surge issues. I also tightened waste gate as far as I could being we only have stock injectors, Thinking we might try a .84 housing on theirs.

On edit, wishing the KC38R was around two years ago, modded compressor housing, bearing upgraded supposedly, their 38r compressor wheel, and their 38r turbine wheel, balanced as assembled unit, with ******d housing and supposedly spools better and cools better, and all wh8th full warranty.

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

Last edited:

Countrycar

Reaction score
I have the 38r in my Truck, and I had the 11 blade WW2 installed at one point. I chose to remove it because my truck smoked horribly with this wheel. I swapped it out for the 6X6, and although it's not quite there, it did clean it up a bit. My egt's are still a little high, but again, a bit more manageable with the 6x6 than with the WW2/11 blade. Next, I'm gonna put the original wheel back in and see if this makes a difference where the smoke and egts are concerned. Just my experience.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
I had the 11 blade WW2. I went back to cast.

Better throttle response, quicker spool, Lower EGT's. All things I noticed with only the wheel change back to the stock cast wheel.

I have herd the 6x6 wheel performs the best but I have no experience with this wheel.

Next turbo mod will be T4 and an sxe turbo. If I stick with my 175/80 ill go 364.5 SXE.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's surprising to me the general theme in the responses is not much benefit. It also doesn't sound like folks balance the turbo with the new wheel either. It may not be worth the trouble/expense...

BS Hauler

Reaction score
Question for TM or Carport. Since you both have the 175/80 injectors and the 38r. Would you chose the same injectors again or would you go to hybrids. I have gathered up the same mods have you guys have done just haven't pulled the trigger on the injectors. Mine is a tow rig. 02 F 350 6spd. I would like to tear this truck apart only once. Do you run out of hpop oil just using it as a tow rig. I have a new adrenaline pump to put in.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Question for TM or Carport. Since you both have the 175/80 injectors and the 38r. Would you chose the same injectors again or would you go to hybrids. I have gathered up the same mods have you guys have done just haven't pulled the trigger on the injectors. Mine is a tow rig. 02 F 350 6spd. I would like to tear this truck apart only once. Do you run out of hpop oil just using it as a tow rig. I have a new adrenaline pump to put in.

I run my truck in my hottest PHP tune no matter what im doing. Ive been having oil issues since day 1 with these injectors. One guy on here had a set of 175/100's, Im curious if the 100% nozzles allowed him to run less PW which in turn helped keep his oil in check.

If I were to do it again with the intentions of the truck being a tow rig id do some 238/100's. Get yourself a nice tow tune and a fun street tune and you'll be happy.

My truck runs good, it just does not have the power it should. It burns super clean, pulls hard down low and pulls pretty consistently once above 2500 RPM's, dont really feel any power drop like I did with stock sticks.

The 38R spools fast, EGT's stay in check unless I lug it up a hill, quick down shift fixes that real fast.

Its a good reliable setup. But Id go T-4 and hybrids in a second given the opportunity.

Charles

Reaction score
I've been running 300/200's on a stock 17* pump for a year or so now and my WOT ICP is the commanded 3000 I'm asking for 24/7 when it's not 3100 to 3200 or so on a spike. Never below 3000. Usually 3100 or thereabouts.

Power isn't anything spectacular, it still has a stock trans but I would estimate that it's around 400rwhp. It runs ~35psi boost anything over about 2000rpm IIRC. When I have asked for more fuel and pulled through the trans I did not drop ICP. I would estimate an easy 100 to 150hp available if I had a trans, installed another lift pump and wanted to squeeze the PMR's a bit.

If you're dropping ICP you probably have too much pulsewidth.

Fwiw, this truck has the 38R with stock compressor wheel and a 1.15 Turbine A/R housing and lugging down to 1250rpm while still pulling a grade and not smoking in OD is a daily occurrence. I drive for minutes on end at 1200 to 1300rpm in OD chugging up hills without smoke, or very, very little if any haze.

First time in my life that weeks after washing the truck I don't really have any soot on my rear fender/bumper behind/above the tailpipe. I can't imagine how easy it would be to chug along with a 1.0 housing.

Reaction score
I had no issues with a t500 and 175/100s maintaining 3100 ICP at low 40s DC towing parents 31' double slide TT, but I ran the BASB (version of the s364) and not the 38r with those, I was using Dp-Tuner, and I never had to look at the egt guage either. I don't recall what PW Jody called for, (i lived right down the road from him, and it was very convientant to live tune and adjust) but I do remember when we were tuning he kept calling for less and less. My only complaints with his tunes were the noise, otherwise it was very clean, cool and smooth running. If I were to have done it again, I would have probably done 230/100s - 250/200s, hybrids for oil demands, and bigger nozzles for even more egt control.

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

Charles

Reaction score
The Noise, lol.

I just realized the type and brand injector the OP is running, so I find myself most likely in an area where the experiences I have will not apply. Sorry for the inadvertent intrusion.

Reaction score
The Noise, lol.

I just realized the type and brand injector the OP is running, so I find myself most likely in an area where the experiences I have will not apply. Sorry for the inadvertent intrusion.
Yeah yeah I know, the noise...

On another note, i cannot see the sigs using tapatalk, and only a little bit when I go to view profiles. How do i either fix that, or as above you've quoted the OPs injectors, what brand are they? FF?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Yeah yeah I know, the noise...

On another note, i cannot see the sigs using tapatalk, and only a little bit when I go to view profiles. How do i either fix that, or as above you've quoted the OPs injectors, what brand are they? FF?

To see the signature using tapatalk, the only way I've found is to click on the post and then click "web-view".

Reaction score
To see the signature using tapatalk, the only way I've found is to click on the post and then click "web-view".
Once I click the post, web view is not available

dsberman94

Reaction score
Once I click the post, web view is not available

How about "more" then "webview"?

Reaction score
Not avalible either, but if I just use "copy url" and follow in browser, it's pretty quick

TMCCOY

Reaction score

I'd get them again but I can't say if they're better than another stick as I have never tried another. Overall, they are quieter than the 170K AD's they replaced, run smoother, provide better mpg and make way more power.

I ran the T500 and 38R with stock sticks for a while then did the new 175/80's, springs, damper, lpop together. I tried GH tunes first but didn't have much luck there so tried PHP and those are better for my taste. The power is much more than I expected. It will lay waste to the tires and get silly in second gear. The 80HP Daily Drive PHP custom tune is awesome but so tempting to dip into the power I run the 65 daily instead as it helps me manage MPG. Regarding MPG, I see ~2mpg improvement in town and get about 16.5 unloaded light cruising with occasional foot stomps.
For towing our TT, I just run the 25hp tow tune which is the max weight tune and have plenty of power and don't worry about egt unless I'm lugging. I've not noticed any ICP issues and certainly no CEL for low ICP has been set. Just finished a 2 week venture through Yellowstone and Glacier, Montana and pushed the truck hard over those long rolling 4,200 ft. hills going to Glacier with no issues.

That's my experience with them.

I do envision a T4 setup with the 364.5SXE being even better for the injectors. In my mind, the 175/80 is a practical max for that turbo. I think it depends on how far you want to go.

I have learned with the tune revisions I've rec'd and feedback from others that live tuning would probably yield me the best results and may start looking to see how or who might be able to do that for me in this region. Props to PHP as their service has been awesome but I'm in WA they are in GA and am changing based on my ability to communicate what I want changed.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I ran 175/80s and the same injectors with 100% nozzles. I didnt like the 100s.

Truck was ok. I wouldnt do it again. No way. Im on my secind set of 250/200s. First were full force. Im not a huge fan of their work but thats a personal issue. I have PIS 250/200s and they are ***king great. I dont xare for the way the builder has carried on but thats his right. My injectors are relatively quiet, power compared to ff is very different for the better.

And the 11blade 38r wheels suck dikk for anything other than wot runs. Its not a good design.

If your tuner cant make a 200% nozzle in a hybrid behave when needed, go somewhere else. These things are completely dynamic. I like the egts personally. Mine cruising empty on 35s are often 6-700 degrees.

Reaction score
I ran 175/80s and the same injectors with 100% nozzles. I didnt like the 100s.

Truck was ok. I wouldnt do it again. No way. Im on my secind set of 250/200s. First were full force. Im not a huge fan of their work but thats a personal issue. I have PIS 250/200s and they are ***king great. I dont xare for the way the builder has carried on but thats his right. My injectors are relatively quiet, power compared to ff is very different for the better.

And the 11blade 38r wheels suck dikk for anything other than wot runs. Its not a good design.

If your tuner cant make a 200% nozzle in a hybrid behave when needed, go somewhere else. These things are completely dynamic. I like the egts personally. Mine cruising empty on 35s are often 6-700 degrees.
Just curious, why didn't you like the 100s

TMCCOY

Reaction score
FWIW, based on the feedback in this thread, I'm leaving the cast wheel alone. It's balanced, won't give me any problems and it sounds like billet is not a clear improvement thus, not worth the risk of all the work, expense, and not being satisfied anyway. Not going down the T4 route either as I don't want to get any deeper into the truck financially so, custom tuning is the last frontier.

Latest posts

Members online