$400 motor goes 80k...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
On the hunt for another motor...

Not going to complain, this motor I was in $400 bucks, made it 80k in three years...

Not sure what it is yet, but I am guessing a cracked piston. Going to pull it this weekend and see. Drove it home so I have another block for a some day in the future build!

On the hunt for another used motor, found one on here for $1500 or so. Found a few local for $1800-$2000 complete which allows me to sell the injectors and such.

Kicking around buying a wrecked truck to part out as well.

onebad7.3

Reaction score
Must have been that swamps idm you just put in :poke:

Couldn't you rebuild the motor you have, depending on whats wrong?

Arisley

Reaction score
Dammit Joe, that cheap junkyard motor did you good. Think I saw a couple in the classifieds for a pretty good price, probably the same ones you are talking about.

If you buy a truck to part out, make it black with a good driver side front fender. I will keep my eye out for one around here for you.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Must have been that swamps idm you just put in :poke:

Couldn't you rebuild the motor you have, depending on whats wrong?

Oh there will be comments out of the wood work, but lets just say a built motor with crap tuning and smaller injectors made it 30k...

A junk yard motor with larger injectors and Swamps tuning made it 80k...

Rebuilding this motor, properly, would cost about $3000 or so. Hell the rebuild kit is $1000...

If I can pick up a complete motor I can have it done for less then $2000, way less.

Not to mention I trust a IH built motor far more then any other builder short of Swamps or Empire...

I'm so over the HP bug, its a work truck that is fun to drive...

Will be going back with-

250/200
Stockish HPOP
New ARP studs (these have been in two motors already)
Modded H2e

More or less exactly what I have now, but with a few more Riffraff parts.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Dammit Joe, that cheap junkyard motor did you good. Think I saw a couple in the classifieds for a pretty good price, probably the same ones you are talking about.

If you buy a truck to part out, make it black with a good driver side front fender. I will keep my eye out for one around here for you.

I would bet I could hone what ever cylinder is fubared and throw a new piston in it and be on the road, but for the last year every oil change has had visible copper in it... SO who knows what the bearings look like.

Man, it's been 3 years already since all that went down?!

Damn, time goes by fast...

Yup, I believe the motor popped in Sept, put it back on the road in December, then ran into a cup issue and it sat until January 28th.

under pressure

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering the power level that took you to 80K, thats a hell of a deal on a 400$ motor.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering the power level that took you to 80K, thats a hell of a deal on a 400$ motor.

Dyno'ed it one time, right after I got it running...

516/1090...

LOL LOL LOL

Ya Ya... it costs more money to go down. I dont know how fun the modded H2E would be to drive with smaller injectors, and these will just be gone thru to fix the cold start issue...

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I've gotten 100k miles out of an $800 car. Still driving it.. LOL

Wish you good luck with the new engine Joe.

onebad7.3

Reaction score
Yeah, your right about the cost of rebuilding. To bad your across the country, a guy around me has a truck for sale cheap, has 250k on it though. $1900 for the whole truck.

under pressure

Reaction score
You must drive all over he11 and back, ive only done 50k miles in just over 6 yrs, including a one way trip from Anchorage AK to AZ...... (or i just dont drive very far usually)

No i see your issues on built motors vs. a 400$ gem from u pull it !

CSIPSD

Reaction score
You must drive all over he11 and back, ive only done 50k miles in just over 6 yrs, including a one way trip from Anchorage AK to AZ...... (or i just dont drive very far usually)

No i see your issues on built motors vs. a 400$ gem from u pull it !

I used to drive alot more, with this company they fly me home every three weeks, old company did not so I drove all the time.

Black 02

Reaction score
On the hunt for another motor...

Not going to complain, this motor I was in $400 bucks, made it 80k in three years...

Not sure what it is yet, but I am guessing a cracked piston. Going to pull it this weekend and see. Drove it home so I have another block for a some day in the future build!

On the hunt for another used motor, found one on here for $1500 or so. Found a few local for $1800-$2000 complete which allows me to sell the injectors and such.

Kicking around buying a wrecked truck to part out as well.

Cracked piston..... That has to be tuning according to that thread over on the nation awhile back! :pimp:

Ahhh, in all seriousness, that sucks. Sorry to hear your truck is down and hope you find something soon to get it back up and running.

If you want some good tuning, I have a lead on some.

Good Luck

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to be working in Burlington Ks right now would you?
A neighbor told me an out of towner was looking for a 7.3. I have 2.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Cracked piston..... That has to be tuning according to that thread over on the nation awhile back! :pimp:

Ahhh, in all seriousness, that sucks. Sorry to hear your truck is down and hope you find something soon to get it back up and running.

If you want some good tuning, I have a lead on some.

Good Luck

LOL...

I'm not worried about it, for the $400 I have into that motor and getting 80k out of it...

The motor had low compression when I stuck it in. It had 170k on it but looked like it had 200+, so I tacked on another 80k... About right in my mind for a cracked piston.

You wouldn't happen to be working in Burlington Ks right now would you?
A neighbor told me an out of towner was looking for a 7.3. I have 2.

No, I'm in Portland Oregon right now.

Shoot me a price if thats what your getting at...

bruce

Reaction score
There is an auction site called erepairables that has lots of stuff on there. You might look on there to find a truck for a donor truck/part out

Latest posts

Members online