40000 lbs gross work truck build

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Pics or it didn't happen lol.

Unless it is something someone came up with on their own or has converted on their own no factory chassis below 650 was available with air brakes.

Not to say maybe someone hasn't retro fitted it.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Getting a truck large enough to do the job is part of the cost of doing business. Either lighten the load or get a bigger truck.

Or spend a rack of money beefing up your F550 just to have DOT impound it... assuming you don't rear end somebody first because you cant stop the load...

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Take it to Craig at MPD. He knows those 6.0l trucks like the back of his hand and he does good work.

As far as parts go, I drove a friends 6.0 dually to haul some stuff up from down south. Had an intake, exhaust, tune, studs, coolant filter and an EGR delete on it. That truck towed better than anything I had ever been in. Plenty of power out of the hole and the truck never felt flat in the pedal.

If you need a EGR kit, I have them in stock currently running a special. Let me know if I can help you out :D

Stroked550

Reaction score
Trans and rear axle get hot fast at those weights, factory trans cooler doesn't cut it. I'd add an external cooler and change axle lube on a very regular basis. I added a temp gauge to mine and was seeing 250+ at those weights.

jbkingranch

Reaction score
On the exhaust if your running into DOT inspections Banks does the exhaust system were the down pipe is larger, you use your stock Catalytic converter and past the cat it goes to 4" with a strait through muffler. All of there stuff is suppose to be California hippy legal. Only other thing they wound make thats worth a crap is the CAC. Drop you a few degrees there.

Last edited:

97stoker350

Reaction score
Yea i appreciate you guys lookin out for us but I didn't ask for a lesson on what the law is going to do if we get in a accident. I just asked what is a safe build to do on a truck that hauls this much weight and stops fine

97stoker350

Reaction score
Plus at the time we bought the truck fuel wasn't over 4 dollars a gallon so making more trips to be under weight wasn't a big deal but times have changed and the truck only gets ~9 mpg anyway

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Yea i appreciate you guys lookin out for us but I didn't ask for a lesson on what the law is going to do if we get in a accident. I just asked what is a safe build to do on a truck that hauls this much weight and stops fine

What is a safe build?

There isn't one.

I'm not looking out for you, I'm looking out for everyone else.

jbkingranch

Reaction score
I work up in the North Dakota oil field and lots of guys running around here with trailer that have 3 12,000# axles under them all with electric brakes pulling them with 5500 dodged and F-550's. They stop just fine.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
This thread isn't about weight it's about a truck build... The build list wouldn't change if he was grossing 30K would it??

OP - I think if you pick through the thread you'll get the info you need.

97stoker350

Reaction score
Then take your care somewhere else the only ones that drive it with that load are my dad and pap who have driven tractor and trailor for a living for 22 years and over 50 years I can asure you we dont need lessons on how to drive.
Yes I should have just called mpd to begin with. But I have the info i need

bboteler

Reaction score
Ah yes once again a derailed thread by those who can't just answer a question for a member without interjecting their personal .02 cents. If he wants build the truck either offer advise or don't but adding to your own post count with pointless opinions doesn't do anything but prove you don't cares about the answers to the questions but more about personal opinions. Some things never change....

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
When the DOT man pops you give me a call, we will run Landolls as far as Harrisburg. Don't do bail bonds though, gonna have to call someone else for that ;)

Latest posts

Members online