4r100 issues after rebuild

Chuck 7.3

Reaction score
Trans fixed. Thanks for all the info. Someone had a part in backwards is all I'm saying.

Chuck 7.3

Reaction score
They put the od sprag in backwards allowing coast clutch to spin free and not lock. So it burnt up od and coast clutches in just a few hundred miles. They fixed it and it has been great. That will be the last one I have someone else do because I was short on time.

Denver

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread and may not gain traction but I'm have a 3-4 shift flair with my 4R100 after a rebuild. It happens more when it's over 100* outside. Were there any other symptoms? I'm also getting a driveline unloading feeling when I come to a stop and the transmission will go into full coast at 30mph on slow down. Sometimes I'll have an extended delay between forward to reverse and reverse to forward. Drive like an old man and stock 7.3 power. 2002 F250

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread and may not gain traction but I'm have a 3-4 shift flair with my 4R100 after a rebuild. It happens more when it's over 100* outside. Were there any other symptoms? I'm also getting a driveline unloading feeling when I come to a stop and the transmission will go into full coast at 30mph on slow down. Sometimes I'll have an extended delay between forward to reverse and reverse to forward. Drive like an old man and stock 7.3 power. 2002 F250
No chip or anything for tuning? Not a very good rebuild by the sounds of it.

Denver

Reaction score
Did the shop it is in now rebuild it?
His response to your description of problem was, We have another one?
It's at the shop that rebuilt it. Not to make excuses but they did rebuild it in Jan 2022... I don't know the parts situation then but the other guy that was going to build it just retired early because he couldn't get the parts he had been using for years for his rebuilds.

Reaction score
Sorry you are going through this😞.
There are tons of shops and DIYers that are absolutely horrible!! Even these self proclaimed trans experts on YouTube do absolutely terrible work.
A very common problem with the 4R100 is the center support set up. One must take extreme care and follow specific steps in addressing the engineering flaws and reassembly steps. I authored a thread on cross channeling and posted it on this site. I also authored a thread on vacuum testing. You can’t just rebuild an old trans, not do vacuum testing on valving and expect hydraulic issues that probably caused the symptoms or damage that led to the rebuild in the first place OR have then rear their head down the road. You should read it. A step that is often gotten wrong is torquing the center support bolts as soon as the center support is installed. That should never happen like that. They should only be put in loosely until all components in the bore are installed and only then when the trans is then in the horizontal position. The valve body ledge above the center support must be then checked with a straight edge to check for case deflection. Failure to follow that procedure will result in the overdrive piston return spring preloading and the weight of the overdrive drum and coast clutch against the feed blots when the center support might not be exactly seated against its ledge seat in the case. This can result in case deflection and hydraulic cross channeling and or center support feed bolts loosening. You could just act like I did not educate you and ask them what torque do they normally set the feed bolts. Don’t act like you know anything just say, Some guys say there are different values or something like that. He will rattle off ten to twelve pounds. Then you ask, And of course you guys torque them as soon as the center support goes in? Don’t say a word. Let him answer.
Feel free to private message me. I can give you my contact info. I’m a diesel and hydraulic mechanic with 37 years experience. I am not soliciting you in any way.

Reaction score
Also your thread is not on the main page of 7.3 tech anymore. There is a reason for that. A moderator should put it back up. Somebody got his feelings hurt but that is his problem. People should be able to see your thread so they can learn as well.

Bigbird

Reaction score
Also your thread is not on the main page of 7.3 tech anymore. There is a reason for that. A moderator should put it back up. Somebody got his feelings hurt but that is his problem. People should be able to see your thread so they can learn as well.
This guy posted on a local Facebook page about his 4r100 transmission flare going into overdrive. I'm not sure that this post will even show up because I'm not signed in.But a guy I knew from years ago rebuilt it and I'm just trying to find out information for the guy that posted.The guy that posted said that the shop doesn't know what is causing the problem.Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online